Series 4 saw a small number of new characters, including a new elvish assistant for Treguard.
Treguard, the Dungeon Master
The Dungeon Master continues to oversee the gameplay. He now has an assistant to supervise as well as the teams.
Pickle, the Elf
Pickle was Treguard's first assistant. Always eager to help, so he sometimes needs reminding of the dungeon rules.
These spellbound doors were locked with lies and could only be opened with the truth.
Hordriss the Confuser
The warlock was becoming an authority in the dungeon. He regularly agreed pacts for the team to be redeemed in Level 3.
Motley, the Jester
A returning friendly face often seen with Mellisandre and entertaining at the tavern.
Mellisandre, the Maid
The returning maid continues to help dungeoneers and get herself into danger.
Fatilla the Hun
A guard found around Level 1, usually wanting an item for safe passage, but also easily bribed.
Gundrada, the Sword Mistress
Renegade warrior with a large broadsword who threatens to cut off heads and frightens off goblins.
Merlin's powers were waning by Series 4. He was often locked in stocks or providing cryptic problems.
An entertaining tavern monk. Mace speaks Latin (with varied success) and swears by strong drink and insobriety.
The returning principal opponent and alter-ego of Merlin appeared in Level 3 to thwart teams' progress.
The fluctuating sorceress Malice could be a friend or foe, depending on what she could gain from a dungeoneer's progress.
Oakley, the Tree Troll
This wary tree troll kept predators at bay and tested teams' knowledge about the natural world.
This witch used her magical broom to sweep a chamber used by Hordriss and Malice.
The boatman silently ferried the dungeoneer across the Dunswater after demanding silver or gold.
These orc-like creatures patrolled the dungeon, particularly the fortresses and forest areas.
- Treguard was played by Hugo Myatt
- Pickle was played by David Learner
- Merlin and Mogdred were played by John Woodnutt
- Hordriss and Oakley were played by Clifford Norgate
- Brother Mace, Fatilla and Doorkis were played by Michael Cule
- Gundrada and Malice were played by Samantha Perkins
- Motley and the Boatman were played by Paul Valentine
- Mellisandre, Dooris and Dooreen were played by Zoe Loftin
- Mistress Goody was played by Erin Geraghty
- Devised and written by Tim Child
- Production co-ordinator, Sue Child
- Illustrations by David John Rowe
- Computer Animation by the Travelling Matte Company
- Produced by Tim Child
- Directed by Jimmy McKinney