A look at some of the characters that teams would encounter inside the labyrinth.
Le Maître du Château
The master made himself the centre of attention with his loud and domineering style. He roared teams on, ever mindful of the clock. While the master enjoyed mocking failure, he was also encouraging when teams made a valiant attempt.
Je suis fière de vous!
A jester found either in the labyrinth or in the master's antechamber. Like the Knightmare jesters, he could be a source of help if teams showed basic knowledge.
The maid, a prisoner in the castle, bears similarities with the Lady of Shalott, which combines English and French legend. Sadly, so does her ending, as actress Veronique Moëst committed suicide in 1996.
A witch who occupied the cauldron room. Based on Knightmare's Mildread, the short-tempered crone was commonly found mixing potions or attempting to fly her broomstick.
The softly spoken wizard is less eccentric than his English counterpart. He appeared in the final room of the labyrinth to test the knight before he or she could progress to the treasure room. Knights would first have to answer to Morganne le Fée before she summoned the wizard.
This dark and reclusive sorcerer despises Merlin (similar to the Merlin / Mogdred pairing in Knightmare) but is willing to assist knights with magic.
Almost like-for-like with her Knightmare Series 3 namesake, though French Velda carried a larger sword and was not believed to be elvish. Given a new look for incoming actress, Marine Jolivet.
The arch enemy, 'La Morte', was a skeleton that called itself Tados. This strange apparition was made all the creepier by its regular laughter.
- Le Maître du Château was played by Georges Beller.
- Tarok, Merlin and Crom were played by René Lafleur.
- Iselle, Velda and Morganne were played by Veronique Moëst / Marine Jolivet.
- Mandragore and Laelith were played by Chantal Garrigues.
- Tados, Le Corbeau and Bouffon were played by Lionel Muzin.
Theme Music by Patrick Oliver and Ganael.
- Recreated by Marina Productions & Top No.1 Productions
- Crew and post-production: Channel 1
- Screenwriting: France-Marie Bauhin and Monica Barcikowski
- Special effects: Philippe de Oliveira
- Editor: Patrick Dufour
- Producers: Claude Berthier and Jacques Clement
- Director: Marie-France Briere