Knightmare - how I loved fridays...

Series, Teams, History, Behind the scenes etc. - all discussed here.
GrimaldineGrimwold
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re: Knightmare - how I loved fridays...

Post by GrimaldineGrimwold »

I shudder at the thought of all of them in one program!
I think that program would be called "Hell".
Well, I guess they'd all try to outdo each other and eliminate the competition. Carol S. would try to blind with others with the supreme whiteness of her smile, Carol V. would throw velcro pieces of card with letters and numbers on to cause injury to the others, and Davina would surely attempt to shout so loudly and appear so overly enthusiastic that it deafened the Carols. My money goes on Davina to survive- if she also waved her arms around enthusiastically as she tends to, I don't think the others would last five minutes.
"Sometimes of the Grey, but always of the Green, dearie. Shurrup Brollachan! Have you seen Festus, my dear? I need to take him back to Cornwall. " [cackle]
Steve
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Steve »

This is how i would remember fridays with Knightmare.
I'd run home from school at full speed(nearly got knocked over on the roads a few times) arrived home at 3:15 and had to struggle through over an hour of other cartoons untill KM came on, god how i loved it!

For some reason Astro Farm, Victor and hugo and then Knightmare is the line up i remember (i think zzaap! was in there somewhere too) All great shows but BORING when Knightmare was to come after them.

And Reboot, another of my favourites, second only to KM! Y did they stop that show, and in the middle of the new series too!
I understood it all though(only at the last episode shown though)
Bob is a guardian who protects "Mainframe" from the "baddies"(hexadecimal and megabyte) who also live there and try to take over, he also wins games to stop the city being full of nullifies sectors and ppl.
There are only 3 sprites in the the town -  bob, dot and enzo - cus dots dad did something which wiped all the other sprites and him out.
Bob manages to protect the city in a series of episodes (one of which introduces the game sprite who hitches a lift outta the game on enzos tag thing and becomes his friend) untill some incident where a creature from the web manages to use a tear to make a 2 way portal to the web.
Then a war starts between the 2 worlds in which enzo becomes a level1 cadet guardian(which he always wanted)
The war ends with the baddies initally workin with the good guys to make a BIG gun to close the portal except at the end megabyte removes and crushes glitch(bobs guardian multitool)and pushes bob into a pod to be sent to the web just before the rift is closed. They then use the gun to try and enslave the ppl of mainframe.
Enzo then assumes the role of guardian of mainframe, noone trusts in him for a while but then he wins a few games and they like him, he also concocts a plan (which works!) to trap the baddies in a section of the city with a firewall border. the city is then made safe.
The enzo and his game sprite friend with their dog then lose a game BUT are able to change their tags and travel with it to save being nullified- they are assumed dead by dot and the rest of them.
Next we see enzo and co looking much older going by the class of "Renegade" travelling with games trying to reach a system with portals to the net so they can get home.
After a few episodes they reach a possible system but meet up with some assassins who try to kill them, untill they change their tags to avoid detection, and another guardian(think hes the head of all guardians)
From a convo between him and enzo we learn that a virus has infected all the guardians except enzo and bob (Yes hes still alive!) and as enzo admits to only being a cadet with a busted glitch he vows to go to the web and not the net to find bob and makes things right. we also learn the not much time has passed and enzo etc have just "compiled faster in the games"
This episode ends with them hitching a ride in some boat with a guy who flirts with enzo's chick and makes him real jealous. IT NEVER CONTINUED FROM THIS POINT
There were a few subplots but this was the main way storyline

See its not hard to understand ;)
Steve

Came, Saw, Mastered, Moved on...
beamrider2600
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by beamrider2600 »

See its not hard to understand ;)
Well... for children - that is very hard to understand; thats why it was taken off I think.
..........................lets go ride some BEAMS!!
Steve
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Steve »

I watched it as a child and understood it as well as i do now, but i see what u mean. There was a hint of sarcasm in my "see its not hard to understand  ;D"

Reckon Reboot would fit in well now tho - good time for its comeback, does any1 know who made it originally and if they have a website?
Steve

beamrider2600
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by beamrider2600 »

Reboot; I think its made by a canadian company called YTV.

Searching Reboot on Google...
I found this website but its really out of date.
http://www.inwap.com/mf/reboot/index.shtml

You can sign the "bring back reboot" petition here.
http://www.petitiononline.com/qw5m/petition.html

"ReBoot is a classic CGI cartoon and began before Toy Story was even on the storyboard.
It has been running since 1994, unfortunately CITV stopped it when they only had about 4 more episodes left to air. They stopped it because of two reasons:
1) Poor ratings
2) Violence
This show was aimed at teenagers and shown on YTV. Mainframe told me that there is very little violence (nothing graphic).
The Americans/Canadians are seeing the new movies later this year. We British citizens don't get any TV shows like Reboot, only the crap Butt Ugly Martians.
The Americans also get the DVD release of ReBoot as well as War Planets (which was shown on Sky1 last year). They also get Werid Ohs on DVD. What do we get.............? Nothing, Some people are lucky enough to have a Multi Regional DVD player and can play Region1 and 2 films BUT that is only 2% of the Bristih population. "

It seams like the last 4 episodes were made and shown in america but not here.
Steve
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Steve »

U mean the wouldnt even show the last for ep's of the series? How lame is that?

Reboot has amazing potential. At the very least they should make DVD or Video recordings available over here.
Steve

beamrider2600
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by beamrider2600 »

Well, they cut KM series 8 short, didn't they? Damn ITV!
Steve
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Steve »

Yeah but at least they let KM show its final ep, Reboot was just cliffhangered
Steve

Davius
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by Davius »

Hi,

I have been visiting Knightmare.com for quite a while now (since 2000, I think), but I have never actually taken part much in the chat or in this forum (I read other people's posts a lot, but I have only posted once before)! However, the posts in this thread brought back so many memories that I just had to say something!

I remember too how I used to wait for Friday afternoons, after a long week of school, so that I could see the latest installment of the never-ending adventures of the daring teams in the treacherous halls of the dungeon! I always used to play the text game on TeleText after it ended (does anyone remember that?) and I even played the game on the Amiga (which I still have... in good working order! Does anyone else have/had one?)  ;D

Reading some of the other posts in this thread also brought back a lot of memories from programs such as Reboot, Thundercats, He-Man, Transformers, Woof! and The Tomorrow People. Another program that I watched a lot when I was young (and still do!) was Doctor Who, which is probably my favourite Sci-fi program (as opposed to Knightmare as my favourite Fantasy program)!

In case you are interested, I noticed that on the Knews section of Knightmare.com that there was a mention of Hygo Myatt starring in one of Big Finish's audio dramas for Doctor Who (this one: http://www.doctorwho.co.uk/drwho/bf047_omega.htm ). I collect these audios and I recommend them to anyone who may be interested!

Since there is also a mention of The Tomorrow People in this thread, some of you may also be interested in the fact that Big Finish also produce new audio dramas for The Tomorrow People (more information at: http://www.bigfinish.com/tpeople/index.htm ). I do not collect these, so I don't know if they are any good or not!

The future seems promising now with the repeats on Challenge and the development of a new series. I also tuned into CITV recently, just out of interest to see what was on... and the quality of programs that are replacing Knightmare today are almost like an insult to it!

Anyway, thanks for reading my ramblings-on, I hope to talk to you all again soon!

Davius.

PS. Does anyone recall Spellbinder? I am not sure if it was on CITV, but I remember thinking that it was a good program when I first saw it!
Last edited by Davius on 16 Apr 2003, 20:30, edited 1 time in total.
"When the time turns once more, and the fire burns as before, and the gauntlet is held down, then, will the age of Knightmare be found." -Treguard
Steve
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Steve »

YES spellbinder! That was a good show,

Dunno about citv having the rights but i do remember Network 2 getting bot the first and second series of the show.

The second series involved ashka(the baddie from the first) going to another dimension and trying to take over while the "dragon king" (a small boy) was left in our world.

An amazing show which should also be continued
Steve

Davius
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by Davius »

Yeah, Spellbinder was good! I can't recall much of it, but I think I only saw the first series when it was on terrestrial television (but I still can't remember what channel it was on)! I don't think I saw the second series.

There were also two novelisations of the TV series (one for each series I think), and I bought them ages ago... I should still have them somewhere!

Davius.
Last edited by Davius on 18 Apr 2003, 20:41, edited 1 time in total.
"When the time turns once more, and the fire burns as before, and the gauntlet is held down, then, will the age of Knightmare be found." -Treguard
Steve
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Steve »

I remember that i missed a big chunk out of the middle of the first series and loads out of the other series, its a pity that no other channels have been interested in getting the rights to even the existing episodes.
Steve