Bring Knightmare back, the original, not like VR...

A place to discuss Knightmare-VR, a planned revivial of Knightmare
Kieran
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re:Bring Knightmare back, the original, not like VR...

Post by Kieran »

TC has now explained why the helmet has been abandoned, generally due to the pace of the game.

http://www.talkknightmare.co.uk/yabbse/ ... eadid=1101
'He's NOT a Dungeoneer, he's a VERY naughty boy!'
Pooka
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Pooka »

I've never, ever, ever, ever, ever liked the idea of Knightmare VR, and I've never liked the concept.

However, I'm prepared to admit (grudgingly) that it's the only way we're going to manage to get KM back on our screens, so I'll give it all the chances in the world. I may be pleasantly surprised...
Pooka - teacher, writer, comedian, musician, geek, and full-time Knightmarian.
Gizensha
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by Gizensha »

While certainly the old Knightmare allowed for moments of pure comedy (and a certain amount of iconicness), with the helmet, the VR concept will allow for a lot less fuddling around guiding, thus a faster pacing, and some things that would just have been impossable in the earlier program. From what I can gather from televirtual's site it's going to easially be as interesting to watch as the original version.

Of course, there's no reason a rather large room mightn't be pitch black with the advisor(s) needing to guide the dungeoneer by way of an 'nightvision' spell on the portal they see things from.

Basically what I mean is that while the concept of the blind lead the sighted who aren't there makes for some interesting challenges, as a main play element it's a hinderence.

Also, this isn't as big a change as it first seems. By which I mean most years the show was renovated to fall in line with improved technologies, so that it was always cutting edge. Over eight years, the style, pace and key aspects of the game were changed significantly (compare season 1 to season 8 for what I mean of this). In fact, a small amount of first person VR was used, as I remember, in the latter two seasons. Thus, over ten years surely a similar progression would have been made. Weather it would have been made as completely and if so how the change would have been made an organic one is something somewhat interesting to muse over.
WillsOfDoom
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by WillsOfDoom »

A dungeoneer that can see will surely have even harder challenges and obstacles to complete, and so the action and tension should all be relative (imagine the corridor of blades if the contestant can see - the obstacle would be useless!).
The new axe room looks pretty nasty to me - impossible if blindfolded, and just possible to pass if not.
I like my telly scary, and very dungeonish.
Gizensha
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by Gizensha »

Oh, I don't know if something like the corridor of blades wouldn't work. Similar things have been done in computer games for ages and you can see in those, without them being easy (you'd need to do something like have vertical blades come across the center every now and then, blades that covered the entire coridoor. Just make it completely insane as oposed to the relatively calm one that you see normally and it would probably be about as hard)
WillsOfDoom
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by WillsOfDoom »

True, and I like the sound of a new, improved, deadlier Corridor of Blades. As I say, difficulty is all relative. There's no reason why the new KM shouldn't be as difficult as the original.
Kieran
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Kieran »

I imagine the obstacles will become harder to compensate for the seeing ablities of the Dungeoneer.

It would be an interesting addition to have fog come over a causeway, stopping the Dungeoneer being able to see where exactly he is going...Hmm. Maybe that happens if you only get 2/2 questions right with 'Despair'.
Fidjit
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Fidjit »

That slic 'n' dice whatever it is puzzle looks impossible from a certain point of view! :)
If the only way is onward how would you get home for tea?? :-/
jeepers
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by jeepers »

i agree if its VR then it will spoil the whole concept of knightmare
Malefact
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Malefact »

What is the concept of Km, though? If the old obstacles become unworkable because the helmet is removed, then new obstacles must be thought up. I've said before that I think that Km is very much about tension. Up until now, much of it was provided due to Fight or Flight (the Dungeoneer couldn't run away from trouble, which created tension - remember the Trolls) or guiding blunder. The former can still be created (the Rune Puzzle, for example, would still be just as effective) without a helmet. The latter would be the only thing that would suffer, imo. But Km is just doing what it's always done - evolving.
Subject to change.
WillsOfDoom
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by WillsOfDoom »

What do you think it is about the idea of KMVR that people don't like? Perhaps it's because it looks too different from the original - animated characters/contestants etc. If this is the case then what was the point of all that evolving in the originals? It was always heading in a VR direction - as series 8 proves.
Malefact
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Malefact »

I agree. In the grand scheme of things, perhaps it was necessary for Km to end in 1994 - the next logical step in the show's evolution is full VR. However, ten years ago, the technology was nowhere near ready for it. It is now, though. As a result, Km is in a position to do something new and fresh, as opposed to rehashing old ideas.
Subject to change.
Kieran
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Kieran »

People seem to dislike it because it is different from KM, yet it is always what would have happened at some point.

KM = Pionering technology
VR - 2005 style technology

If KM used the same technology as it did in 1994, then it would never get comissioned, then people would moan about it not being back on TV again. This is the only way it can come back in my opinion.
Malefact
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Malefact »

There are a number of questions that I can think of that this subject is concerned with:

(1) Is it still Km without the helmet?

Expanding:

(2) How much can you change the format of Km before it is no longer Km?

Expanding again:

(3) How reliant is Km upon its format?

I think that the true question, though, is:

(4) What is Km?

The answer to this will answer the previous questions.
Subject to change.