Series 2 - Episode 12

Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Re: Series 2 - Episode 12

Post by Drassil »

To my adult eyes, Knightmare is often at its weakest when it fashions an idiot-proof quest for a team who are not idiots. This episode felt like less than the sum of its parts.

Julian's firewalk and his closeness to being caught by the Automatum could be perceived as two let-offs.

Up until this quest, Mary Miller had alternated her characters by having Mildread in the odd-numbered quests and Lillith in the evens. One of our members, dontyoulikemypie, is named after what Mildread says in the FOUL scene. It seems as if Treguard's face disappeared from the kitchen too soon, because Mildread continues to act as if it's still there.

In one Series 3 quest, a crayon was needed to draw the Level 1 wellway into existence. Perhaps the quill was intended for that too, only the scene was changed at the last minute so as not to slow the action down. Either way, I don't like seeing a team complete a level using only one clue object, because it renders so many failed Knightmare quests, from Maeve's in S1 to Rebecca's in S8, unfair.

Julian was lucky to find that bottle of milk in the Mills of Doom. Treguard used to provide a free bottle to every contestant until Lillith put a stop to it.

How did Vaughan know that the Sprig of Energy was a "Life Force restorer"?

Like Team 7, this team's knowledge of Greek mythology is hit and miss. Sirens, yes; Achilles' heel, apparently not. Perhaps they thought it was a trick question, but Achilles only had one vulnerable spot.

It looks quite possible that this team's Level 3 will be less of a challenge than their Level 1 and Level 2.
wombstar
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by wombstar »

There weren't let off in the fire room, he did damage to their life force.
And the Sprig of Energy has been use before, they probs seen series 1.
It's always the cracked ones that let the light in
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by Drassil »

wombstar wrote:There weren't let off in the fire room, he did damage to their life force.
And the Sprig of Energy has been use before, they probs seen series 1.
It is a matter of opinion, hence my use of the phrase 'could be perceived'. Not all dungeoneers got off so lightly when fire made contact with them. My perception is that the fire did not impact on Julian's health as severely as some of us might have expected. Some watchers may be inclined to wonder whether dodging such gentle fire was worth the effort. ;)

Yes, they probs had seen Series 1, but perhaps you could refresh my memory as to when in Series 1 a Sprig of Energy was featured, as I'm afraid I can't recall any particular occasions. :)
wombstar
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by wombstar »

I'm sure Treguard said the fire damaged their life force. Many of the dangers in the early series just drain the life force. If they were hit several times by the fire im sure they would have died.

Wasn't there an energy sprit in level 3 of the first series??
series 1 and 2 tend to roll into one for me lol
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by HStorm »

As best I can remember, energy sprigs were invented in season 2, with team 3 the first to encounter them. The only team in season 1 who even got far enough that they might have found one was team 6. They found a bunch of grapes in level 3, the only top-up they found down there.
Knightmare Audio Plays from The Dunshelm Players.
wombstar
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by wombstar »

Maybe it was written in their/series 2 guide book? Food and energy Sprigs are used to replenish the life force.
Gretel
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Gretel »

Okay so, as usual I'm here mainly for Audrey and Mary (mostly because I've seen this series on Challenge really recently) and I have to admit for all that people occasionally have a pop at Audrey for her acting or lack therof (it takes skill to act like a brat when you aren't one dammit!) I loved the way she obviously watched back Mary-as-Mildread to get it rigt on the money... there's also a lot of good punplay happens here.
"you should be able to hear from my voice that I'm terribly pretty, now DO you think I'm pretty?"
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by HStorm »

I don't think fans do have a go at Audrey as such - for her acting or anything else. It's just a lot of us find the character of Gretel to be annoying. We recognise that that's not necessarily Audrey's fault, as she can only play the part as it's been scripted.
Knightmare Audio Plays from The Dunshelm Players.
Gretel
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Gretel »

Actually, I've come across a couple who really do have a go at Audrey herself, which is why my comment is the way it is. I don't much mind if people dislike Gretel which is fine but having a go at Audrey (to my face) will generally get me growling at you some.

You lot on here are genuinely nice to Audrey and Gretel in general (wanting to feed her to spiders aside :P) but in person I have dealt with some total toe-rags.
"you should be able to hear from my voice that I'm terribly pretty, now DO you think I'm pretty?"
Morghanna
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Morghanna »

Team 10 made good progress. Julian was far more enthusiastic than most dungeoneers.
The only real criticism is that they were slow to react when the automaton first appeared, altho it did suddenly appear immediately behind them so it was reasonable that they should have a few moments reaction time. It was level 1 after all.
Really enjoyed the scene with Mildread & Gretel in the kitchen. Amusing how Julian didn't seem to go in the direction Gretel was leading him. There was no dithering in the well room tho, Julian was into that well at speed.

Level 2 clue room: notice how Julian opened the bottle even tho the others only told him to examine it. Having no clue objects made for a strange level 2.
2/3 on the riddles. One of them (i think it was Mary) actually said ankle. Would Merlin have accepted ankle instead of heel?
Good interaction with the drunken Gumboil and even more amusing with Olaf. " ??? I think they be making Danish bacon of Olaf." Classic line. ;D

The gargoyle was very helpful in level 3. At least they didn't have to spend ages flattering it like previous teams did.
Reached the level 3 clue room just as the bell sounded.
"I think it's about time you got wise to the ways of real magic. The kind that is borne on the dark side." >:D
TemporalDiscussion

Post by TemporalDiscussion »

Morghanna wrote: 03 Jun 2020, 14:49 Level 2 clue room: notice how Julian opened the bottle even tho the others only told him to examine it.
I think opening the bottle is a perfectly natural step in examining it :)
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by Drassil »

You could argue that in an environment of unknown dangers, not opening a suspiciously unmarked bottle is the natural thing to do.

In this case it's a moot point, because the team is urged by Treguard to "investigate" the bottle and, short of assessing the design and glass density, there wasn't much they could do but open it.

Treguard's position on opening unmarked bottles is likely to have changed a little way into Series 7.
Knightmare: Kid-worthy, Naasty, Inspiring, Groundbreaking, Humorous, Treguard, Mesmerising, Adult-worthy, Rewarding, Essential.
AriadnesLayer
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by AriadnesLayer »

Drassil wrote: 18 Jul 2021, 18:47 You could argue that in an environment of unknown dangers, not opening a suspiciously unmarked bottle is the natural thing to do.
You could argue either/or and both are perfectly valid. Same with most things we disect about Knightmare.

So yes, the function of bottles is to contain something. Being told to examine a bottle, it's perfectly logical to take this to mean "open it and find out if anything's in it".

"In an environment of unknown dangers" can be used as a blanket argument to win any point, really, for the entire 8 series. It doesn't really cancel out the validity of what TemporalDiscussion says.
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by Drassil »

Without pressure from Treguard, the team would have been free to decide their own course of action. They may have opened the bottle at the earliest opportunity. Or they may have decided to carry it with them until they met a character who could shed light on it.

That was my point. And in clearly acknowledging it as a moot point, I wasn't trying to win anything, nor to cancel out the post from Martin (who I know has discussed this quest with dungeoneer Julian/Jason himself).
Knightmare: Kid-worthy, Naasty, Inspiring, Groundbreaking, Humorous, Treguard, Mesmerising, Adult-worthy, Rewarding, Essential.