Series 2 - Episode 10

pjmlfc05
Knight
Knight

Re: Series 2 - Episode 10

Post by pjmlfc05 »

wombstar wrote:I thought it was a logical and justified death, it had already been set up rather than the producers throwing in a bomb room or a character wanting an item the team hadn't picked up, this room would have always been in the game I think so it was a cool death. Not boring at all, painful certainly. Treguard seemed to enjoy it.

They only tried two doors, and Treguard wouldn't let them use the door they came in (probs because they didn't want to have to keep re-starting the room maybe) but it could suggest it's an identical but different room... a maze, so finding the correct door by luck or guess would should be unlikely.
It's just my opinion. I found boring because Stuart was just wondering around. So visual wise for me, it was a boring death. If the Automatum came in to chase Stuart that would have been a better death for me. More scary and more believable.
The only way is onward, there is no turning back.
wombstar
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by wombstar »

I thought it was quite opposite, the panic and desperation of the dungeon and team fighting against their life force clock. knowing one of theses doors must be correct but life is draining away. Might have been better if the team were able to see their life force ticking away maybe.

Also I feel it adds variation then just falling, or being bonked on the head or taking away. I love theses unusual deaths.
It's always the cracked ones that let the light in
pjmlfc05
Knight
Knight

Post by pjmlfc05 »

wombstar wrote:I thought it was quite opposite, the panic and desperation of the dungeon and team fighting against their life force clock. knowing one of theses doors must be correct but life is draining away. Might have been better if the team were able to see their life force ticking away maybe.

Also I feel it adds variation then just falling, or being bonked on the head or taking away. I love theses unusual deaths.
Maybe 'donked' sounds better!! ;D

I do like unusual deaths too but for me visual wise, it has to look good.
wombstar
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by wombstar »

No it's differently "bonked" lol it's the term used on the Trapdoor when Berk bashes some nasty creature on the head.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOAAX1wZX4Y
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by Drassil »

Harvey Towers wrote:Mogdred dressed as Cedric - not the last time that an evil wizard dresses as a monk.
Poignantly, John Woodnutt's last on-screen role saw him wearing a habit as a friar in Dragonheart II.
pjmlfc05 wrote:The team made a schoolboy error by taking the dagger.
Ah, the folly of youth (no pun intended). I made schoolboy errors when I was a schoolboy too. :)

While it was unfortunate that the team didn't know a divining rod when they saw one, and careless of them to take a weapon, they were also unlucky to face a Level 2 clue object choice when so many Series 2 teams did not, including their invincible immediate predecessors.
Tom41 wrote:The life force 'ran out' there and they died, even though they were still trying to direct the dungeoneer!
Stuart's advisors clearly don't know that his Life Force has finally run out until Treguard essentially tells them. This must have made at least some 1988 viewers aware that the Life Force clock was added afterwards.

So, no sooner has Jamie started than he dies in the bomb room. Obviously they were supposed to head straight for the exits rather than being diverted by the food they didn't need yet that was sitting right under a huge, active bomb, and the team paid the price for their mistake. Ooh na... What's that? They survived? The flame danced back down the fuse at least 28 times while Jamie sauntered around like the Pink Panther taking a morning stroll, making a thorough mockery of the bomb room and its intended tension? That doesn't seem just. I can only hope that later in the quest, the team will be given a challenge that emphasises the importance of quick manoeuvrability.

Up until Jamie's quest, Quest 9, the Level 1 clue rooms had alternated and Igneous had only been seen in even-numbered quests.

This episode's end theme music sounded slightly extended.
pjmlfc05
Knight
Knight

Post by pjmlfc05 »

Drassil wrote:
pjmlfc05 wrote:The team made a schoolboy error by taking the dagger.
Ah, the folly of youth (no pun intended). I made schoolboy errors when I was a schoolboy too. :)

So, no sooner has Jamie started than he dies in the bomb room. Obviously they were supposed to head straight for the exits rather than being diverted by the food they didn't need yet that was sitting right under a huge, active bomb, and the team paid the price for their mistake. Ooh na... What's that? They survived? The flame danced back down the fuse at least 28 times while Jamie sauntered around like the Pink Panther taking a morning stroll, making a thorough mockery of the bomb room and its intended tension? That doesn't seem just. I can only hope that later in the quest, the team will be given a challenge that emphasises the importance of quick manoeuvrability.

Up until Jamie's quest, Quest 9, the Level 1 clue rooms had alternated and Igneous had only been seen in even-numbered quests.

This episode's end theme music sounded slightly extended.
Ha,I think we have all made schoolboy errors, and not just at school either!

I believe speed will be the downfall of Jamie but we shall wait and see! ;)
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

[quote=Drassil]
[...] careless of them to take a weapon [...]
[/quote]

It's worth wondering whether the dungeoneer's code was always in that final state. Or, indeed, if there was even one in series 2.

The choice of clue objects is rarely a rushed one. It seems quite possible to me about not picking up the weapons of your enemies came in at a later date.
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by Drassil »

Adventurer's Code aside, they would have seen a team die in the previous series for taking a dagger, accompanied by a stinging rebuke from Treguard about how useless a weapon was to someone without sight.
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

Actually that may not be true.
Apparently, until about series...4 (I'm retelling this from memory), many of the teams had never even seen Knightmare before ever, let alone a specific episode of the very first series.

But...well....I seem to recall that Treguard berates people for various things that have, in other quests, turned out to be the correct course of action?
pjmlfc05
Knight
Knight

Post by pjmlfc05 »

Drassil wrote:Adventurer's Code aside, they would have seen a team die in the previous series for taking a dagger, accompanied by a stinging rebuke from Treguard about how useless a weapon was to someone without sight.
If there was an adventurers code, it didn't apply to Neil's team! But going back to Stuart's quest, the team rightly failed. The team might not had any clues on what to take but as well all know, what use is a weapon to someone who is blind?!
wombstar
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by wombstar »

The previous team were giving instructions too take the dagger, this team hadn't so they shouldn't have taking it.

Just a pity we never got to see what Mogdred was up to.
Canadanne
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Canadanne »

Mystara wrote:
Drassil wrote: [...] careless of them to take a weapon [...]
It's worth wondering whether the dungeoneer's code was always in that final state. Or, indeed, if there was even one in series 2.

The choice of clue objects is rarely a rushed one. It seems quite possible to me about not picking up the weapons of your enemies came in at a later date.
All the teams in Series 1 were warned about taking weapons, and every version of the Adventurer's Code that we've seen includes that rule, so I'd be pretty surprised if it was absent from Series 2.
pjmlfc05
Knight
Knight

Post by pjmlfc05 »

Canadanne wrote:
Mystara wrote:
Drassil wrote: [...] careless of them to take a weapon [...]

All the teams in Series 1 were warned about taking weapons, and every version of the Adventurer's Code that we've seen includes that rule, so I'd be pretty surprised if it was absent from Series 2.
Did the code state that even if advised to take a weapon not to do so? I always thought if you arm yourself with weapons of the opposition, you would always fail.
Canadanne
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Canadanne »

pjmlfc05 wrote:Did the code state that even if advised to take a weapon not to do so? I always thought if you arm yourself with weapons of the opposition, you would always fail.
"Beware the weapons of your enemies. Unless otherwise indicated, it may be best to assume that all weapons discovered fall into this category."

That wording is from the Series 5 version, but is almost identical to the version printed in the first Knightmare gamebook, so I think it is safe to assume it was the same for teams in Series 1 & 2.

In other words, don't pick up weapons unless you've been given a clue to do so.
pjmlfc05
Knight
Knight

Post by pjmlfc05 »

Canadanne wrote: "Beware the weapons of your enemies. Unless otherwise indicated, it may be best to assume that all weapons discovered fall into this category."

That wording is from the Series 5 version, but is almost identical to the version printed in the first Knightmare gamebook, so I think it is safe to assume it was the same for teams in Series 1 & 2.

In other words, don't pick up weapons unless you've been given a clue to do so.
I think this was only applied once then which makes it a bit strange! Anyhow thanks for the clarification! I thought regardless of all situations, weapons are not to be taken.