Series 2 - Episode 1

Illusion
Knight
Knight

Series 2 - Episode 1

Post by Illusion »

Do not post here until after 7.30pm on Thursday 17th June 2004.
You're on the edge of a ledge...
Tom41
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Re:Series 2 - Episode 1

Post by Tom41 »

Some nice changes for this series! Firstly, the Wheel of Fortune room where they pull the lever to select a chamber to start in. I don't think they can actually 'choose' a chamber as such, the production team just stop it on whatever room THEY want the dungeoneer to start in...

I liked the burning torches above the doors in the first room after the wheel! (Same room as the first room of Series 1, but different lighting.) Look carefully and you can see the area where they've added the animation - a small dividing line is visible. You can also see clearly the blue screen which the maid hides behind!

The camera for Olgarth didn't seem to be lined up properly when he first appeared! It was out of vertical position and zoomed in too much ;)

Gumboil the guard asks for the password - this time sporting a huge boil on his face ;)

I liked the room with Mildread and her wellway-cauldron thing! Why was she silent at the beginning though? The team walked up the steps and almost stepped into it - good thing Treguard intervened! They had the right object, but they didn't earn the secret of its use from the wall monster - so died in the bomb room next!
Shame really. Seems a bit too hard, having to get 3/3 on the riddles on level 1! Or did they have to take a different item and gain the clue from Mildread?

I missed the first bit of the 2nd half of the episode. I thought I stopped my tape when the ad break started, but it was still recording the ads - and I didn't notice until the break had nearly finished! I rewound to the beginning of the ad break and hit Record, but by the time I had done that the break had already ended :(
Still, I sort of came in when Treguard said Enter Stranger for the 2nd team. Did I miss much?

The 2nd team seemed to have a different 'choice' of rooms on the wheel thing. Also pulled the lever in the opposite direction to the previous team :P
The initial room they came in was different, one door was a FIRE EXIT again! They took the 'knight' door.

Took them forever to get through the Beam Room. Probably let off; they were zig-zagging. In a later series, they might have died there!
Into the next room, where Igneous of Legend makes his first appearance ever! Scored 3/3 this time! Without the 'i command you' reward, they wouldn't have gained the password...

Did they take the cup or not? They shouldn't have, since Igneous hinted the cup had a bitter taste (and Treguard reminded them of it)

Next room contained a weird frog-like monster in a crumbled doorway! Didn't seem to do anything though. ;)
Next, Lillith pretended to summon the causeway and make the dungeoneer fall. They were too smart for that, and waited for Lillith to summon the real causeway. Timed out there.
One day you say "Enter Stranger" and big goblin comes in!
Kieran
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Kieran »

Well they sure should have taken the right items, especially with Treguard informing them of the clue! :)

The actual boil on Gumboils face certainly makes more sense for the character, and from what I reclal it doesn't ever seem to heal again.

I've always said Igneous is a bad tempered wall monster, Treguard certainly agrees with that!

On intoroducing the 2nd team, the girl in the middle sure looks remarkably bored, she averts her eyes away from mthe camera, too.

I wonder what kind of creature it is meant to be in the 'broken wall' room?
'He's NOT a Dungeoneer, he's a VERY naughty boy!'
LordF
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by LordF »

Perhaps it was that Shadow Monster in the corridor of the catacombs in Series 1 but alas we'll never know.

Anyone, a bit quicker this episode for the Season Opener.

Nice to see old faces and new ones from Series 1 excpet Mildread, what a witch.

Well decent episode today.
LordF's DA Account
LordF's LiveJournal
Also known as Lord Fear
Billy
Knight
Knight

Post by Billy »

I love this series, much better than series 1 in all manner of ways! The show is less scripted, different camera angles are used instead of the same ones every episode, more variety is added with a different clue room, and there are more characters to go with the old ones. There were great bits where Mildread imitated an advisor, almost causing the dungeoneer to go into the wellway that was actually a cauldron, and when Team 2 chose the door with the Knight in because the word 'Knight' is in the name of the show! And there was a very clever moment where Treguard tells the team temporal disruption is about to occur, only for it to happen when the team look at him. I believe this was done by taking the shot of the team looking at him from another part of the quest, and then CSOing Treguard in front of it.
Arcengal
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Arcengal »

Tom41 wrote: I liked the room with Mildread and her wellway-cauldron thing! Why was she silent at the beginning though? The team walked up the steps and almost stepped into it - good thing Treguard intervened! They had the right object, but they didn't earn the secret of its use from the wall monster - so died in the bomb room next!
Shame really. Seems a bit too hard, having to get 3/3 on the riddles on level 1! Or did they have to take a different item and gain the clue from Mildread?
Mildread wasn't silent. She was using the adviser's voice to try and lure the dungeoneer into her cauldron.

Most likely, the gauntlet's secret would have been obtained by having the "bat's wings" jar from the clue room, instead of the key.
4 line sigs yada yada yada
Malefact
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Malefact »

Series 2 was off like a shot! A lot of new rooms and characters have been introduced. The idea of having different characters interact (a la the insults contest in series 1) was used again straight away with the scene with Folly and Gretel.

There's an abundance of colour in this series, which I like a lot. There's nothing more effective at grabbing the attention of a six-year old than a lot of nice colour. :)

This episode is unique in that Time Out wasn't signalled by the gong (like in series 1).
Subject to change.
Purgatory
Knight
Knight

Post by Purgatory »

the team blowing up in the bomb room was great,
looks/sounded better then the team from S1, and the amount of dongs!

That Witch is evil... Gives Griswold some good competition, and her 'magic' or 'powers' as we have seen are going to be very deadly,
Wonder of she is any relation to Mogdred,

And Folly is a noisy as always..
I like the spinning wheel,, looks great... far better then the DICE!!! >:( >:(

Great episode..
My life is an endless purgatory interruped by profound moments of misery
Kieran
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Kieran »

I quite liked the dice, even if it was a little useless.

As Malefact says, the colours thus far have brought out a lot....I find it far more atmospheric than S1 already, and I do happen to like the green monster.

I don't know what it is, why it is there or who it is there for...And the noise is rather creepy...Hence why I like it! :)
Last edited by Kieran on 17 Jun 2004, 22:56, edited 1 time in total.
'He's NOT a Dungeoneer, he's a VERY naughty boy!'
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by HStorm »

The green monster is called a toaderdile.

In fact, Mildread isn't all that evil, just self-serving. She shows later in the season that she has a real sense of fairness, which is more than you can say for the likes of Mogdred.
Knightmare Audio Plays from The Dunshelm Players.
DazzaS
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by DazzaS »

the dungeon has really been brought ot life now in this seris. Great way to kick off. but dont the second dungeoneer like to turn a bit to fast and bit too much. but great potential showing. dont worry i aint gonna spoil what happens.

The sequence with Mildred was clever. The team other than the duneoneer (or at the least the single advisor) must have known bout tricking the dungeoneer as they must have recorded his voice in secret before hand. even the advisors are testing the dungeoneer. Is that supposed to happen? Dont rememebr that in the rules
Ooh, nasty!
combuta
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by combuta »

Could it be that another voice (Mildread herself?) was used at the time? That way the dungeoneer would still have heard it and the advisers would have been surprised... then later on asked to record a voiceover?
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by HStorm »

No, I doubt it was done that way. Why would the dungeoneer have folowed the instruction if it wasn't made in the voice of one of his advisors? It also looks like Mary Miller is miming in the scene rather than really speaking.
Knightmare Audio Plays from The Dunshelm Players.
Fidjit
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Fidjit »

Can't wait to see what other graphics they have tonight! :)
If the only way is onward how would you get home for tea?? :-/
Tom41
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Tom41 »

I'm not sure about whether they'd have got the secret of the gauntlet's use from Mildread. The bottle in the clue room said something like "Powdered frogs legs", yet Mildread was asking if the dungeoneer had bats wings! Perhaps they did need 3/3 on the wall monster's riddles, or Mildread would have been happy to see the powdered frogs legs anyway ;)

Regarding the voice change, I think only 3 possibilities:

1. The adviser who Mildread mimiced was in on the story, and recorded his voice prior to the quest starting - then Mildread could mime to it. Probably wouldn't have told the other advisers, and would have just looked surprised like the rest when the moment came!

2. Somebody else did a good imitation of the adviser's voice when Mildread mimed (lines were scripted), but the real adviser recorded a voice-over later on.

3. Everything was scripted, the adviser pre-recorded the voice, and the dungeoneer was in on it. Must have just told the advisers to look astonished when the voice came out of Mildread, even though they knew about it! ;) Then Treguard intervened in time to stop the dungeoneer going into the pot.

I liked how the smoke only started to come out of the cauldron when it actually had turned back into a cauldron! Maybe somebody set off a chemical reaction or opened a canister of smoke at the right point! Notice how the smoke stops after a bit...
One day you say "Enter Stranger" and big goblin comes in!