KM - Are we more obsessed?

Series, Teams, History, Behind the scenes etc. - all discussed here.
WillsOfDoom
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

KM - Are we more obsessed?

Post by WillsOfDoom »

I hope this is a serious enough topic for the main forum.  I was just wondering - are we greater fans of Knightmare now than when we were children/younger?

Although I was a huge KM fan when I was 8-14, I think I like the show more as an adult.  I think I appreciate it more, although I'm not sure why.  
Perhaps we were genuinely frightened by the show as youngsters.  Maybe we only like the show now because of its nostalgic value.
Has anyone else thought about this?
I like my telly scary, and very dungeonish.
Snowcat
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Re: KM - Are we more obsessed?

Post by Snowcat »

I spent most of my early Knightmare days cowering behind the sofa, Dr Who style. The fact that the team could get so far and be arbitrarily thrown out at any moment scared the S**t outta me. Also the fx (David Rowe era) were so dark and gritty made it feel more real compared to the ultra sharp and brightly coloured design of almost everything else.

These days, I love KM for the very real attempts at creating a proper Role-Playing GAME, not the gimmick laden crap of other shows. Most (past and present) tend to be one-trick ponies that haven't been fully thought thru. Great in concept, worthless in execution. Disappointment central... (shows like :-Virtually Impossible, Fort Boyard/Desert Forges, Fightbox. Great in theory but terrible on screen)

Knightmare took an idea and deliberately pushed as far as they could, budget is inversly proportional to creativity (ie less money = more creativity) but THE IDEA WASN'T SQUASHED. Try getting an idea like Knightmare past the money-men these days.

Creator :- 'Hang on Lads, I got this great idea. Lets put teams of kids into an immersive fantasy land of yore using the latest technology and let them interact and have adventures with 'life and death' twists of fate.

Money-Man :- 'you any idea what that will cost? Nah, I've got a better idea, Lets get a ton of 'gunge' and these fellas who used to do Butlins. Add the odd gross-out and censor-dangerous references... We'll make a packet!'

2 weeks later a letter arrives at the creator marked REJECTED....
There are but 2 rules in this realm:-
1) He who sees first is the winner...
2) He who is seen first is toast...
KaM
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by KaM »

An extremely good question!!  8)

To be honest, I don't think I am more obsessed about the actual gameplay than at a younger age. Reasons why I would be are: spotting more through repeated watching, understanding and appreciating humour and satirical statements more,  and without a doubt reliving the key of my childhood; and yet there's bound to be differences, relating to how 'dated' the show now looks, and most importantly, how you respond to the gameplay at a more advanced age. As with Snowcat, I used to be deathly scared of the show at a lot of points - to that extent, it definitely worked for me. Obviously, there is a difference in knowing it all inside out, and not anticipating an unknown outcome, for when I resaw S3 and S6 for the first time since the original transmission last year; I realised how much I'd lost, and the blankness of what is ahead is a major attraction. Knowing it inside out also reduces the horror factor, but I'm sure that returns with any new type of Knightmare format.

What I think I have become obsessed with at an older age, is the show in its wider circle - its context. How it was made, what is to come - learning and discovering - realising what it was about this incredible show that made it so vitally important, and why it has been as influencial to other people. To realise the community, an incredible feeling to know that you are not alone in worship of this relgion of a show, and not only to talk over issues, but even to discover the horizon of possible discussions. I've felt more alive since coming into this community than ever, as if I was denying a great part of myself by keeping so quiet about my fanticism at secondary school. Being able to consider Knightmare as 'the show that gave me everything, so I must give back as much as I can', and therefore being a member of the forum, treasuring a precious part in the R.P.G., sharing ideas and, by being one of the masses who keep the folklore alive, the impetus has been there for the next stage of KM.

Fianlly, though: friends. Knightmare: when running, the most intense experience in my life; now the biggest, full-time hobby. It is incredible to be so integrated amongst everyone for something I dearly love and feel so strongly for; and amongst the K.M. community, have met the best group of friends anyone could have ~ a second family. 'Knightmare' is the root passion we share in common, but being fantastic, loving people is really something else ~ and so Knightmare continues, in that way, to keep 'giving' me, and since I'm only too happy to be involved and try to give back, it offers a terrific balance. Obsessed, but in the most amazing way possible.   8)

Peace and Harmony to all.
Knightmarian. alphavillean. Marvellian.
WillsOfDoom
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by WillsOfDoom »

I agree with alot of what you both say, and thanks for such well considered answers!  
The horror aspect of the show was something that really kept me hooked as a child.  I just couldn't bear to look at the life force when the skin started peeling off it.
And as an adult the horror I once felt has turned into tension.  I still get chills when there's a death sequence, or when there are close-shaves, therefore I don't think the show's appeal now is simply to relive my golden youth.  That's the main reason why I think a new KM would work - it has proven itself over the last couple of years that it's concept stands the test of time.

I think the financial side is interesting.  If KM had first emerged today I doubt it would succeed, purely because it's the age of 'cheap-skate' TV, with reality shows force-fed onto the masses and poor Children's programmes.  Because of it's track-record and proven popularity, both in its heyday and now, if KMVR does happen it might be given more of a chance to succeed.  

Red Mage's point about friendship is excellent.  I remember being the biggest KM fan in secondary school, yet not being able to discuss it because it was a kid's show.  It was sad really, because it was a hot topic for discussion at primary school.  The problem was, to most other people Knightmare was just a good TV show and nothing more. In the later series, my interest in it dwindled, probably because I was 14 and not supposed to watch kid's TV (or so my classmates said).  It is only as an adult I see how magical KM really was.  

Finally, although I'm a relative newcomer here, I can easily see how relevant and needed these forums are.  I have some friends that like Knightmare, but I still can't really discuss it properly with them for fear of appearing the fanatic I blatantly am.  It's only here, you find people for whom Knightmare is in the heart and soul!
I like my telly scary, and very dungeonish.
Fidjit
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Fidjit »

And I thought it was Martin who cowered behind the sofa 'alf the time!

Yep! I seem to appreciate it more now than then because I understand it a lot clearer...
If the only way is onward how would you get home for tea?? :-/
Kieran
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Kieran »

Gameplay - Love it now as I did 17 years ago....

Pther bits - Am now more invilved what w/ the RPG and other bits and bobs, so my interest for things behind the fantasy has grown.

(Or perhaps the RPG is a fantasy these days?)
'He's NOT a Dungeoneer, he's a VERY naughty boy!'
PhoenixFlame
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Re:KM - Are we more obsessed?

Post by PhoenixFlame »

Well, I think now that I'm older, there are certain aspects that I now get. Maybe I'm the only one on this, but I think when I was a kid, I didn't get some of the humor, but maybe that was just me.... ???
Rising from the ashes once again....
Willowherb
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Re:KM - Are we more obsessed?

Post by Willowherb »

The fact that so many of us still love the programme is a definite testament to how good it was. They say the real test of how good a children's book is is by how many people still like it when they're grown up. I don't see why TV programmes should be any different.

Of course, there's probably not many of us who think all the Knightmare series were good - as an adult I definitely prefer the early seasons - but I'd still watch any of 'em. The Dungeon rules! 8)