Knightmare on DVD

For all discussion and ideas for bringing back classic Knightmare.
Pickle123
Knight
Knight

Re: Knightmare on DVD

Post by Pickle123 »

well, i've never tried anythinglike this before but am willing to give it a stab.

I'll try the petiononline over the weekend (as for the next two days my efforts are soley concetrated on the 4 a-level exams im taking)

bearing in mind i've never tried it, i may need some help.

just a thought for when the petition is up...we should go around any forums we're part of advertising. i mean, i'm part of three (this being one) and im sure the other two wouldn't mind filling up a petition with signatures...etc.
http://www.petitionpetition.com/cgi/pet ... gi?id=5838

Click it, sign it, tell ya mates...please
Illusion
Knight
Knight

Post by Illusion »

It's quite easy to set up - just fill out a form with the details and you get the URL of the petition page.

I'll give the link to the petition in the next update and that should send a few hundred people that way.  ;D
You're on the edge of a ledge...
GrimaldineGrimwold
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by GrimaldineGrimwold »

A few thoughts on the specific petition:

It can't do any harm. I'll lend a hand in whatever way.

On specific petition people, on the basis of previous experience and evidence from other people, I'd personally advise against using petitiononline. I know of at least one case where a rather extensive petition was lost due to petitiononline themselves, or at least their server/software. In addition, they've had big problems with viruses being spread through their email lists- and you need to give a valid email address to sign it. I gather that the problem has not been solved by their withholding email addresses of signatories. I'd hate to see the KM community afflicted by evil cybergoblins.

Looking around briefly, the main alternative seems to be http://www.petitionpetition.com . They don't ask for email addresses, so there's no way the petitiononline problem could occur there. However, the fact they don't ask for them means the authenticity of signatures can't be checked, which may undermine how effective a petition would be on Granada.

Swings and Roundabouts.
"Sometimes of the Grey, but always of the Green, dearie. Shurrup Brollachan! Have you seen Festus, my dear? I need to take him back to Cornwall. " [cackle]
Pickle123
Knight
Knight

Post by Pickle123 »

OK, going totally back on what i just said i looked into petition online just now and it doesn't look too hard at all. What i'm going to type below will be the petitions statement. being a maths student i would appreciate critism/corrections/suggestion...hell, even totally new statements if i totaly balls it up. the better this statement, the more signature we get so...

Granada Enterprises,

Knightmare was the adventure game show created by Tim Child in the 1980's. It ran from 1987 to 1994 testing children's ability to communicate, solve puzzles and socialize. Knightmare was originally broadcast on CITV (Children's Independant Television) but this ended when they felt their target audience's age had dropped below that to which Knightmare appealed.

Unlike many shows, Knightmare has not been repeated and repeated...etc. So far only Sci-Fi and Challenge? have done so and even between them they have not covered all eight series. This means that since 1994, only those with satellite or cable television have had the oppertunity to see Knightmare. I'd like to put some viewing figures here for CITV and challenge if anyone knows them...if they're impressive enough. This is a large fan base which has been starved of access to Knightmare for too long. I therefore suggest that a Knightmare DVD of all eight series go into production. I hope the names, signed below, will give you some indication of the demand for Knightmare which still exists.

Sincerely, The Undersigned

i dunno, maybe saying somthing about the new knightmare series and how the new market of youngsters will be available?????

edit - I just corrected a typo...please point them and grammer mistakes aswell. thankee kindly
Last edited by Pickle123 on 12 Jun 2003, 02:31, edited 1 time in total.

Pickle123
Knight
Knight

Post by Pickle123 »

on the subject of uploaded eps...etc i have spoken with leggy elsewhere on the forum, expressing issues raised here as well as opinions, and he's said series 4 is the only series he'll do. - just thought it should be known ;)

Illusion
Knight
Knight

Post by Illusion »

Good stuff, I'll just chip in one or two things...
Knightmare was originally broadcast on CITV (Children's Independant Television)
Probably no need to say "Children's Independant Television" as they should know what CITV is (being an ITV company themselves).
but this ended when they felt their target audience's age had dropped below that to which Knightmare appealed.
I think more accurately the viewing audience of CITV became younger than Knightmare was aimed at.
Unlike many shows, Knightmare has not been repeated and repeated...etc. So far only Sci-Fi and Challenge? have done so and even between them they have not covered all eight series. This means that since 1994, only those with satellite or cable television have had the oppertunity to see Knightmare.
Could say instead that Knightmare was never repeated by CITV, despite a large number of requests by viewers at the time. While Knightmare has been repeated on Sci-Fi and Challenge? it has only been able to a limited audience who have access to these channels. (Sci Fi did show all eight series).
I'd like to put some viewing figures here for CITV and challenge if anyone knows them...if they're impressive enough.
Knightmare on CITV attacted audiences of up to up to 5 million viewers, making it one of the most popular children's shows of its time. It continues to have cult status with a large fan base and dedicated website [http://www.knightmare.com]. Repeats on Challenge? are generating even more interest from original viewers, and also a new generation of viewers who have not seen the show previously. Also the original makers of Knightmare (Televirtual) are developing a format for a new series which may give more publicity to the show in future. (Challenge? figures probably won't be available to us unless it appears on the Top 10 - even so it won't be a large figure).
This is a large fan base which has been starved of access to Knightmare for too long. I therefore suggest that a Knightmare DVD of all eight series go into production. I hope the names, signed below, will give you some indication of the demand for Knightmare which still exists.
Yup.

Also I'd agree with GG's suggestion to use that other petition site as Petition Online seemed to lose the old petition.
Last edited by Illusion on 12 Jun 2003, 16:59, edited 1 time in total.
Pickle123
Knight
Knight

Post by Pickle123 »

bleh...i never had cable/satellite so hence my sci fi muck up :)

thank you illusion. i like all of your suggestions...this is how it reads now. (i want it perfect before we start this petition)

Granada Enterprises,

Knightmare was the adventure game show created by Tim Child in the 1980's. It ran from 1987 to 1994 testing children's ability to communicate, solve puzzles and socialize. Knightmare was originally broadcast on CITV but this ended when they felt their viewing audience became younger than that at which Knightmare was aimed.

Unlike many shows, Knightmare has not been repeated on terestrial television, despite large numbers of requests from viewers at the time. While Knightmare has been repeated on "Sci-Fi" and "Challenge?" it means that since 1994 Knightmare has only been available to a limited audience who have access to these channels. Knightmare attacted audiences of up to up to 5 million viewers on CITV, making it one of the most popular children's shows of its time. It continues to have cult status with a dedicated website [http://www.knightmare.com] and a large fan base which have been starved of Knightmare for too long.

Repeats on Challenge? are generating even more interest from original viewers, and also a new generation of viewers who have not seen the show previously. In addition, the original makers of Knightmare (Televirtual) are developing a format for a new series which would give more publicity to the show in future. I therefore suggest that a Knightmare DVD of all eight series go into production. I hope the names, signed below, will give you some indication of the demand for Knightmare which still exists.

*phew*

lol, maybe i should add in:

Remember, "the early bird catches the worm" ;D
Last edited by Pickle123 on 12 Jun 2003, 17:32, edited 1 time in total.

KaM
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by KaM »

Hey up.

Very well done on the petition intro. Thanks to Illusion - I am, unfortunately, an english student - and the results are brilliant. Well done to you, Pickle.. for putting it together so well.

Obviously, there's been various sites running 'best gameshow' lists over the past year or so - and KM seems to do ever so well, although perhaps those results are not as concrete - so would there by any merit in mentionning that KM won the bronze medal from the Youth Category of the New York Film & TV Festival Awards 1988? Maybe; maybe not - just thought every little might help.

Great stuff, everyone.

KaM / RedMage
Knightmarian. alphavillean. Marvellian.
Illusion
Knight
Knight

Post by Illusion »

Youth Category of the New York Film & TV Festival Awards 1988?
Yeah thats a good idea. "The award-winning children's adventure game show" is a phrase that was often used in Knightmare publicity material at the time. Also it would be good to mention that Knightmare came 16th in Channel 4's 100 Greatest Kid's TV Shows poll.
RoxxAatherton
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by RoxxAatherton »

Great job pickle! You constantly astound me and I would have congratulated you sooner if I would have been able to get on the forum! (I've been forum-less for about48 hours and felt like someone had cut off my right arm.)
And thanx for the bored loo goers joke, that kept me laughing till i could get back on the forum! hehe, class

Good luck in the old exams, I've got 5 A-level exams coming up this week so we're in the same boat!)

Let me know when the petitions up and running, cause I'l be one of the first to sign it!

Have A Nice Day!

WoooooHoooooooo! Roxx Is Back!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Foxxy Roxxy
WhiteFloatingSkull
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

We, the undersigned...^^

Post by WhiteFloatingSkull »

You just KNOW I'll sign this puppy when it get's up and running.

EXCELLANT letter, Pix'...I oughta commend you for your fabulous efforts and outstanding contribution to the fanbase...

But you know I won't. :-X {{Joke!!!}}

Anyhow, give us a URL when it's all done, eh?
WoOOo, I am the floating Skull - bite my shiny cranium!!!
It still waits.
GrimaldineGrimwold
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Just a few little things- the pieces in bold are things I've changed. Feel free to ignore.
Granada Enterprises,

Knightmare was the adventure game show created by Tim Child in the 1980's. It ran from 1987 to 1994 testing children's ability to communicate, solve puzzles and socialize. Knightmare was originally broadcast on CITV but this ended when they felt their viewing audience became younger than that at which Knightmare was aimed.

Unlike many shows, Knightmare has not been repeated on terrestrial television,
Spelling
despite large numbers of requests from viewers at the time. Since 1994, therefore, only the limited number of people with access to "Sci-Fi" and "Challenge?" have been able to enjoy repeats.

A suggested rephrasing. The reference of the "it" in the original was a little odd.
Knightmare attracted audiences
Spelling.
of up to 5 million viewers
You need to delete one of the "up to"s.

I'm a little unsure of the ending. First, we need to rephrase to tell them we're aware it won't just be one DVD. More importantly, I think it's important for us to consider exactly what we want this petition to do. We've given a very cogent case- I just think we also need some specific statement that the undersigned would be interested in buying any DVD release. Part of the reason for a petition was to show that there was a market, so it'd be good to have a more explicit statement that the people signing are seriously interested in purchasing such a product, in my opinion.

Oh, and since we have such a complete statement, we'll need a nice catchy title for anyone who's browsing the petitions and doesn't feel like reading all this.

*goes back to dusting wellway room*  
Last edited by GrimaldineGrimwold on 13 Jun 2003, 22:48, edited 1 time in total.
"Sometimes of the Grey, but always of the Green, dearie. Shurrup Brollachan! Have you seen Festus, my dear? I need to take him back to Cornwall. " [cackle]
Pickle123
Knight
Knight

Post by Pickle123 »

first of all THANK YOU GG :D i said i needed my spelling...etc checked and this is why. i'll edit stuff around now and try to add something about seperate DVD's per series or somthing.

only problem with that is that once people will always have reservations about signing somthing saying they WILL buy somthing. i could say they are interested in, but saying the word BUY will put random people off i think. i dunno, i know it wouldn't put off hard core fans but for the random  help names we may get it seems a bit strong...see what you think and again suggest. thank you.
----------------------

Granada Enterprises,  

Knightmare was the adventure game show created by Tim Child in the 1980's. It ran from 1987 to 1994 testing children's ability to communicate, solve puzzles and socialize. Knightmare was originally broadcast on CITV but this ended when they felt their viewing audience became younger than that at which Knightmare was aimed. During this time Knightmare was awarded bronze medal from the Youth Category of the "New York Film & TV Festival Awards, 1988". More recently Knightmare was voted to position 16 by Channel 4's 100 Greatest Kid's TV Shows poll. This is impressive for any show especially a game show.

Unlike many shows, Knightmare has not been repeated on terrestrial television, despite large numbers of requests from viewers at the time. Since 1994, therefore, only the limited number of people with access to "Sci-Fi" and "Challenge?" have been able to enjoy repeats and those have been few and far between. Knightmare attracted audiences of up to 5 million viewers on CITV, making it one of the most popular children's shows of its time. It continues to have cult status with a dedicated website [http://www.knightmare.com] and a large fan base which have been starved of Knightmare for too long.

Recent repeats on "Challenge?" are generating even more interest from original viewers while introducing a new generation, who have never seen the show before. In addition, the original makers of Knightmare (Televirtual) are developing a format for a new series which would give more publicity to the show in future. I therefore suggest that a set of DVD's covering all eight original series of Knightmare go into production. The names, signed below, would definetly show interest in any Knightmare DVD release and I hope this will give you some indication of the demand for Knightmare which still exists.  

-------------

so...whadduya think?

lol, i would like to assure people i can spell attracted and that attacted was a typo...thank you for spotting GG. ;D

*checks out petitionpetition*

EDIT a few times for spacing errors -

oh and thank you redmage, Roxx, floatywhite...being partially sober right now i didn't see your suggestions before but now i've fiddled a bit and added them around. can some plz check my spelling of "especially" (bottom of first paragraph).

Roxx - what do you mean i constantly astound you? ;)
Last edited by Pickle123 on 14 Jun 2003, 06:47, edited 1 time in total.

Pickle123
Knight
Knight

Post by Pickle123 »

OK, ive signed up with petitionpetition and here's the first set of info needed....i've put whatever suggestions i have down. any others welcome

Title: Bring Knightmare to DVD

Body of Petition: we've been writing this bit, getting prunned good and proper ;D

Brief Summary of Your Petition:  We intend to send this petition to Grenada Enterprises to show them just how many knightmare fans their are interested in a DVD release.

Sponsor of Petition:  illusion, can i put http://www.knightmare.com as the sponsor? if i cant then i'll just use my name.

Recipients of Petition: Grenada Enterprises / Grenada Media (whichever its meant to be)

Launch Date: must be at least 2 days from now ( as in when i enter the petition)

Expiration Date: no more than 60 days after the launch date

GrimaldineGrimwold
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

first of all THANK YOU GG :D i said i needed my spelling...etc checked and this is why. i'll edit stuff around now and try to add something about seperate DVD's per series or somthing.
Cool. Just so we're not looking like we think everything will fit on one DVD.
only problem with that is that once people will always have reservations about signing somthing saying they WILL buy somthing. i could say they are interested in, but saying the word BUY will put random people off i think. i dunno, i know it wouldn't put off hard core fans but for the random  help names we may get it seems a bit strong...see what you think and again suggest. thank you.
I'd hope people wouldn't be too put off by the way I worded it- i.e. interested in buying. That doesn't commit them to definitely buying it, but is still a little stronger- and more specific- than it was previously.

That's my opinion, anyway.