From little Closes do Cults and Plagues grow...BROOKSIDE!

Disucssion of topics that are not directly related to Knightmare.
Canadanne
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re: From little Closes do Cults and Plagues grow...BROOKSIDE

Post by Canadanne »

Premium Unleaded scene! <3
Mashibinbin
Staff
Staff

Post by Mashibinbin »

Woohoo! Onto page two fans of the B.R.A!

I've been giving more thought to dvd extras as thinking of wished for storylines to appear as main feature is too difficult to choose with only a handful of 'not wanteds' (anthonys bullying story, anthea and ron snoggage come immediately to mind).
Please feel free to add to the lists

Serious wishlist:
Alternative Jordache trial verdict.
Behind the scenes look around.
Various promos that were made for various stories.

Jokey items:
'find the body in the patio' subgame
'Lindsay Corkhill shootemup'
'The many loves of Max Farnham' - a featurette featuring his conquests and finishing with himself'
Mashibinbin
Staff
Staff

Post by Mashibinbin »

And just when you thought it was safe to watch Children in Need here came

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5Yh1uTB ... re=related :D
Nightwisher
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by Nightwisher »

I loved Brookside! My favourite character was Jimmy Corkhill by far! It did get seriously crap in the end but I guess that's why it was axed. I remember that was a dodgy late-night version (or a video release, can't remember) that my mother didn't let me watch. I seen it aftwards and understood why. Lost Weekend it was called?

Did Phil Redman write it or something? Isn't he the guy that is responsible for bringing us that god-awful Hollyoalks programme? Meh, he should have just invested his time making Brookside better if that was the case :P
Mashibinbin
Staff
Staff

Post by Mashibinbin »

A brief update on our Jimmy for those Close to Brookside...

After being a rather camp Admiral opposite 'Nikki Shadwick' at our local sealife centre and various shows in Liverpool he is now again going to be on stage in the Wirral again at New Brighton's Floral Pavillion this winter.

He will be playing a role Hugo Myatt once did, no he is not relaunching Knightmare as the dungeon master, tho the comic possibilities are endless, he is appearing as Abanazar in the pantomime of Aladdin!

OH YES HE IS!
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by Drassil »

Robin wrote:I've been giving more thought to dvd extras...

Jokey items:
'find the body in the patio' subgame
'Lindsay Corkhill shootemup'
Even better, remember the time when Kylie got hold of Lindsey's gun? ;)

A couple of serious wish list suggestions:

While They Were Famous: Celebrity appearances on Brookside. From the Pope to Lily Savage, there was something to suit all tastes.

First And Last: The first and last scenes of a selection of Brookside characters and actors.

Bonus features or not, being able to sit down and watch whole episodes again will probably be enough for me. :)
Nightwisher wrote:Did Phil Redman write it or something? Isn't he the guy that is responsible for bringing us that god-awful Hollyoalks programme?
I don't mind you mistyping Hollyoaks, but it is worth getting the spelling of Phil Redmond right. ;) He was indeed responsible for both, and as well as actors hopping between the two shows and their spin-offs, there were some crossovers of characters too, most notably Matt Musgrove being a main character in both.

Recently I was looking for something on an old video that I thought only contained children's programmes. I discovered snippets of 1987 spin-off series Damon And Debbie - including a few seconds of Neil Caple, l.k.a. Marty Murray! I had no idea his involvement with the world of Brookside started so much earlier.
shadow6162
Knight
Knight

Post by shadow6162 »

Weren't Suzanne Collins and Ann-Marie Davies in Brookside? Because I've met those two. They organised a drama club and I joined it when I was little :D
Many years ago I wrote fanfictions. Now I attempt to write sanely.
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by Drassil »

They were indeed. Although I didn't say so at the time, that's quite exciting! Happy Birthday to Robin: I fear he may have finished with this forum, but if he ever returns he'll be able to tell you more about the Brookside actors he's crossed paths with too.

I'm now haunted by the knowledge that I missed an opportunity to see Brookside and Knightmare meet on the pantomime stage. I wonder how many in-jokes there were in the script.
Mashibinbin wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UG6rDc4XQOQ

A very peculiar oddity here.
Despite my best efforts, including buying the DVD which featured this performance (not Mike Read as the description says but Mike Yarwood, a charming TV impressionist who was extremely skilled, widely watched yet now sadly forgotten), I've been unable to find out more about the song itself. I can't even confirm its title.
JamesA
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by JamesA »

Drassil wrote:I'm now haunted by the knowledge that I missed an opportunity to see Brookside and Knightmare meet on the pantomime stage. I wonder how many in-jokes there were in the script.
You may be interested to know that Edmund Dehn and Barbara Hatwell (who played Anthea Dixon in Brookside) are currently starring together in a London Theatre production called "Sleeping Dogs" - it runs up until Saturday next week.

Full info can be found here:
https://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/sl ... ay?sk=info
James Aukett
Creator of the Knightmare: 25th Anniversary Documentary
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by Drassil »

Thank you, James. Great to know that this is happening. The character of Anthea wasn't too well treated on Brookside: after marrying old flame Ron Dixon (even though he accidentally wrecked her house), he and his family rejected her for refusing to lie under oath to keep him out of prison.
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by Drassil »

During the Olympics and Paralympics, a lot of people found reason to be proud to be British. One such moment for me came when I read a post on Facebook's Brookside page from a Korean girl who'd seen Brookside's trailblazing lesbian kiss during the Olympic Opening Ceremony, had wanted to know more and had introduced herself to Brookside online.

Today is 30 years since Brookside began. The Memorable Moments DVD will be out in a few weeks.
Canadanne
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Canadanne »

Dean Sullivan (Jimmy Corkhill) and Paul Usher (Barry Grant) are on Pointless Celebrities tomorrow at 5:40pm. :)
Mashibinbin
Staff
Staff

Post by Mashibinbin »

I'm still here but don't have as much to say and prefer mostly to read others' contributions these days on the odd occasion I do pop by. Thanks for your birthday wishes Drassil although thanks to me they're now closer, see what I did there ;), to my 32nd instead!

Two updates of note here however;

1. I attended a recent 30th birthday celebratory event (for Brookside not CITV) at a Liverpool Museum a few weeks ago. In attendence were Dean Sullivan, Clare Sweeney, Phil Redmond and a writer whose name has now escaped me. For an hour or so there was a lively discussion moderated by Pete Price. An enjoyable afternoon excursion.

2. The DVD referred to has now been out a few months and is already now availiable for only £7 for those that haven't as yet and tempted.
pjmlfc05
Knight
Knight

Post by pjmlfc05 »

Pete Price?! Used to listen to him on Radio City when i previously lived in Merseyside! He did get loads of people phoning him to wind him up! He also gave out his mobile number on air! Mad!
The only way is onward, there is no turning back.
EvelynMason
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by EvelynMason »

I tried to respond to the thread but lost all my work again. >:D

Tried to say, saw a few episodes including I believe the final one from around 10 years ago, but was never a fan of the show. Just seemed to me like a Liverpool variation of Eastenders or Coronation Street. I do remember some famous storylines and incidents that occured. But never seen this put on any retro or vintage channels for some reason ?