Series 3 - Episode 15

Pickle123
Knight
Knight

Re: Dragon Magic

Post by Pickle123 »

yeah i get you, although i personally would have prefereed continual testing of general knowledge (maybe with less sevear outcomes) and less true/false stuff. which eventually turned into...overhear a password/combination stuff ::)
http://www.petitionpetition.com/cgi/pet ... gi?id=5838

Click it, sign it, tell ya mates...please
KaM
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Re: Dragon Magic

Post by KaM »

Well, maybe sir. I do think there was a balance of sorts that was kept alive over the last few years. I think that the need for knowledge dropped a little, as it was the main component to success in S3, there was too much weak asking in S4, but when it came to the likes of S6 and 7, both exceptional in my view, although the emphasis was taken off general knowledge, the directional dexterity required was more severe on occasions. Let's remember that the Corridor of Blades was a foe never faced in S3 - and once the causeways appeared (especially the time restricted), the likes of the 'Trial by Spikes' and the Fireball Chambers - I just think that at least the pressure for difficult general knowledge questions to be successful, once 'removed', was adequately replaced with other types of difficulties.
Knightmarian. alphavillean. Marvellian.
Tom41
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Series 3 - Episode 15

Post by Tom41 »

Not quite a seamless transition between the last episode's time-out and this episode's start!

After escaping from the goblins in the cave, they entered the mine cart room - with a force field (a shimmering spiders web) over the exit. I liked Martin saying 'Stop whispering, I can't hear you' to the advisers!
Called Motley, who gave the mine cart a push to get it through the force field.

One chaotic mine-cart ride later, they arrived in level 3 - in the cavern with bones on the floor. The animal skull seemed to be the only bone-object in this room which was actually in the blue room - the other bones were on the background.

First appearance of the Level 3 dwarf tunnels, orange with a slightly scary sound effect! BTW, the Level 3 dwarf tunnels are simply the Level 1 tunnels with the colors/brightness inverted!

Next, into the room which is usually the Level 3 clue room - except this time it only had two objects on it. Some bread or pie. which they took for food, and a talisman. It was a destructor and caused the colours to go wild for a few seconds until they put it down!
Look closely and you'll see the talisman was actually standing up on its edge, rather than lying flat! Martin tried to exit through the door up the stairs on the other side, but Treguard said "Onwards and downwards".

Next, into the room with Owen the Dragon. This time he set them a riddle, which they took their time deciding on the answer! Got it wrong, so didn't get dragon-magic from him (put them in losing status)
This time there was a platform so Martin could exit through the other door without having to walk on Owen's nose ;)

The next room was the ex-Jericho Wall room from last series. On the table was an M to summon Merlin, but there was a magic sword moving up and down over it, along with evil laughter. They managed to reach the M without getting stabbed - Merlin appeared, destroyed the sword and spellcasted ERG to restore their life force! Also warned them about Morghanna.

Picked up a piece of the Chalice in the room with the pit. The laughter was heard again and the dreaded Kar appeared - they managed to escape though.
Picked up a Sprite of Energy (tree) in a room with a lot of rubble, and just managed to get away from a Hobgoblin!

Fairly easy for them to get past the two cat statues and disappearing floor.

Another piece of the chalice in the stained glass window room, perhaps indicating the right path to take. Would this team be the first to make it past this room in this series? Nope - Morghanna smashed into the window and sent a fireball at Martin, ending the quest. Ooh, nasty!
What was that rustling sound when they first entered the stained glass room though?

Treguard spellcast UNITE to get them away, instead of DISMISS.

Next team is Chris's team, the last team this series. On my high-res TV I could see that the small dice landed with a 5 on the front, but of course the CGI dice that comes in always lands with the 1 at the front ;)
This time there was a shield symbol above the middle door, so they took that. The zoom-in seemed to be a bit late after he went into the door, you could see him walking into the blackness!

Encountered Hordriss on the ledge, who was meditating. Treguard told the team to be polite, and perhaps flatter him! Hordriss is still his earlier self, slightly more 'dark grey' than the helpful Hordriss in later series!
After being impressed by Chris's manners, Hordriss decided to make a pact with the dungeoneer. And timed out before Hordriss could give them any magic!

Knice view of the 'stomach' corridor over the credits - perhaps another Animated GIF is in order? ;D
One day you say "Enter Stranger" and big goblin comes in!
Billy
Knight
Knight

Re:Series 3 - Episode 15

Post by Billy »

How great was that mine cart ride, what a shame the S4 changes made it redundant! And I knew those dwarf tunnels looked a bit odd, as the white areas were black areas and vice versa!
Now, this Owen- is he the same S2 dragon or not? Well, he has a different voice for one. And he's actually willing to help the dungeoneer, as opposed to the S2 dragon who just wanted to eat you. I suspect they're different ones. As for Martin's death, well, that was just unfair. Series 3 is WAY too dependent on answering riddles correctly, which has helped a lot of unfair deaths. Why did they bother putting up all those post-Owen rooms if they were already in losing status? They could have put a bomb room immediately after Owen and given the next team a better chance of winning. Still, that's my rant over with. Last episode of S3 tomorrow, folks!
Dan
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Dan »

BillyH wrote:Why did they bother putting up all those post-Owen rooms if they were already in losing status? They could have put a bomb room immediately after Owen and given the next team a better chance of winning.
Because that would have been boring, and there would have been no tension whatsoever. Very few teams (except the ones slain by their own advisors) die the instant they enter losing status. Part of the fun is the inevitability. Martin's team certainly deserved a better send-off than a bomb room, and the scene with Morghana after the tension of their progress through the rest of level 3 is one of Knightmare's finest, in my humble opinion.

Knightmare in series 3 was always a balance between knowledge and guidance; if you didn't have one or the other, you will lose. Their riddle was easier than Leo's, certainly.

There's a post of mine somewhere that points out the number of teams that killed themselves off through poor manoeuvring in s3; teams 1, 3, 5 and 6 walk into or off something, teams 4, 8, 10 and 11 are killed off as a direct result of getting a riddle wrong (and I'm being generous with that definition with regards team 8). Of the others; t9 was a mixture of both, t7 picked the wrong object from the clue room (so you can argue they needed to get more questions right if you like; I say they just went for greed. Given the choice between an innocent-looking crayon and a bar of gold, I'd have gone for the crayon...), and t2 doesn't fit into either category. My somewhat rambling point is that the majority of deaths in this series were _not_ caused by getting riddles wrong, although it doesn't help - and why should it? :)
Last edited by Anonymous on 29 Jul 2004, 23:43, edited 1 time in total.
Gizensha
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by Gizensha »

You'd have only gone for the crayon as a result of the logic 'why the heck would they put a useless looking object on the table to make me think the gold isn't the best choice', though, surely.
Dan
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Dan »

Gizensha wrote:You'd have only gone for the crayon as a result of the logic 'why the heck would they put a useless looking object on the table to make me think the gold isn't the best choice', though, surely.
Yes, although the earlier series and books do enforce the feeling that taking money or gems when you haven't been instructed to is the path of greed (rather than bribery), in much the same way as you don't carry the weapons of your enemies unless otherwise instructed. S2t3 take a gem instead of the shield to protect themselves against the Medusa, and suffer as a result.
darkDescender
Knight
Knight

Post by darkDescender »

An excellent episode. Liked the calling. Much better than timidly utering 'Malefact' 3 times just yell. "MOTLEY!" Martin looked very relaxed in the mine cart ride. Maybe a little too relaxed...anyway. Nice cameo for the Hobgoblin. Merlin taking far too long to cast a spell, as usual. And I just have to say I thought Morghana was simply smashing. Loved her outfit. Looking forward to seeing the end of series sequence tonight. And now I'm done.
"Welcome to one of Mogdred's little playpens, dungeoneer. Play awhile...Play forever! Mwahahahahaha! Mwahahahahahahahaha!!!"
darkDescender
Knight
Knight

Post by darkDescender »

Rewatching this episode I just realised, when Merlin is summoned watch closely. Martin jumps about a foot in the air when he hears him.
"Welcome to one of Mogdred's little playpens, dungeoneer. Play awhile...Play forever! Mwahahahahaha! Mwahahahahahahahaha!!!"
MoanaLiza
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by MoanaLiza »

Yes that was one of those incidents that made me laugh amongst a few other incidents and scenes during that quest. It was what I'd call one of those memorable quests as well as Giles' last of series 4 quest.
The Forum Moana and chief honey pot carrier!
"Come and take a gander at this bit of ugliness"
morghannasmate
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by morghannasmate »

Big it up to Morghanna! The best Knightmare baddie killing the most annoying dungeoneer in the show's history. Was it just me or did Martin have the biggest strop on with his advisors throughout level 3? Didn't look like he wanted to be there at all and deserved to lose so close to victory! Evil but true!
"Chitter chatter, chitter chatter- I see you spies!" (Lillith series 1)
Dan
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Dan »

morghannas mate wrote: Big it up to Morghanna! The best Knightmare baddie killing the most annoying dungeoneer in the show's history. Was it just me or did Martin have the biggest strop on with his advisors throughout level 3? Didn't look like he wanted to be there at all and deserved to lose so close to victory! Evil but true!
Nooooo, Martin is great! From the I'm-such-a-cool-teenager pout he does right after calling his advisors, through the "stop whispering, I can't hear you" chiding and the "hello?" to them when they're whispering amongst themselves, his manoeuvring skills (especially when walking round/over the bones in the first level 3 room)... he was a top dungeoneer. No-one else that series got so involved; shaking his legs after he climbed out of the 'water' in the pool room, dusting himself down after he got out of the mine cart... and the joke he told to Motley was better than Leo's team's bungled effort ;)

I think he really, really wanted to win, and thought he could do it, and as such was evidently disappointed when he knew or felt that they'd failed when not getting Owen's riddle right ("*sigh* C'mon, let's go").

I always preferred watching the teams who really got into it and wanted to win, as opposed to the ones scared of losing. Martin's team in series 3, and Giles' team in series 4, are both great fun to watch - because they're really enjoying themselves.
Last edited by Anonymous on 17 Jun 2005, 01:20, edited 1 time in total.
Wolfshead
Knight
Knight

Owen

Post by Wolfshead »

Is he good or eveil or what. When I saw him on series 3 I thought he was good because he offered Martin "Dragnmagicm," but when I saw him series 2 (much later) I decided he was an ally of Mogdred.

I think he's in one of the later books, is he good or evil in that?

Also what kind of Dragonmagic do you think Martin would've recieved.

Was Owen's chamber better with or without the ledge for the dungeoneer to walk on? I liked the idea of them having to walk accross his nose to get past.
Malefact
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re:Owen

Post by Malefact »

I don't think that the dragon in series 2 was Owen, even though it was the same room.

I reckon that Martin would have been given a spell to defeat Morghana, such as FIRE.
Subject to change.
Kieran
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re:Owen

Post by Kieran »

The Series 2 and Series 3 Dragons were certainly 2 very different characters. I personally liked both of them, the latter voiced by Clifford Norgate, and I have always enjoyed his voice on characters!
'He's NOT a Dungeoneer, he's a VERY naughty boy!'