May 15th 2009 Forum upgrade [Complete]

Announcements regarding the Knightmare community and website.
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

May 15th 2009 Forum upgrade [Complete]

Post by Mystara »

The new forum is online and hopefully behaving well. To my knowledge, nothing was lost during the transfer. There are clearly a couple of minor issues to tidy up, but nothing that should have any significant effect on the operation of the board.

If you discover any major issues, please contact me.
frakilk
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Re: Welcome back!

Post by frakilk »

Looks great, thanks for all the hard work!
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

Glad you like.

I've just spent a while upgrading the smilies and post icons too. So with a bit of luck, they'll be working properly now, without any ugly rogue white pixels.
Kieran
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Kieran »

Looks very grand, sir. Hopefully everyone will be able to log back in and use its spender.
Pooka
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Pooka »

Information. This message has been submitted successfully, but it will need to be approved by a moderator before it is publicly viewable. You will be notified when your post has been approved.
This is not only far too reminiscent of the Host in Doctor Who, it's also far too cumbersome for the amount of people we'll have posting here. What happened to unmoderated posting access?
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

That's a very good question.
As soon as I answer it, I'll be sure to correct it.
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

Okay, that should now be fixed.
Honestly, the permissions system of phpBB is an absolute mother. It has every conceivable configuration you could possibly wish for....as long as you're willing to dig around to find it and specify it exactly how you want it.

We should really move to some old obsolete measure board system like YaBB SE.

Let me know if it works?
Ironlord
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Ironlord »

Testing, testing, ett, två, ett, två...

Am I still here? Had a bit of trouble with the old password dying on me. Still, it looks to be working...

EDIT: why's my text in bold and yellow?

EDIT AGAIN: it's gone back to non-bold and white. Is this a "feature" of the new board?
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

1) For reasons that completely elude me, a few people's passwords don't work and have to be reset. There doesn't seem to be any pattern. Some user accounts have worked straight away, others haven't.

My best guess is that it has something to do with capitalisation.

2) Your post appears in yellow letters when it's "selected". Probably you clicked "show my post"?
That's possibly not as obvious as it could be. Maybe I'll see if I can highlight it in some other way :-/

3) It's gone back to black-and-white because it's no longer selected :)
Gizensha
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by Gizensha »

Loving the new layout, though poster details on the right rather than the left will take some getting used to, not used to that on any forum.
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

Wasn't particularly intentional. Just how it was set up on the theme that I based this one on.
Doubtless the theme will change at some future date once we have things up and running smoothly.
Naitch
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Naitch »

Welcome back indeed!

Like the new layout so far!

Though I too had trouble with my password not working on me... :'(
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

Sadly, I currently have no idea as to the cause of the password issue. For example, the capitalisation and various login names of your account are the same as for Pooka, whose password worked first time. Unless something in the system is case-sensitive and you didn't try the magic combination that Pooka did, I have absolutely no ideas as to what might have occurred.

The only thing I can do (in general) would be to reset everyone's passwords. However, there's a possibility that this might have to happen as a one-off in the future. So I'm avoiding having to do it twice :)

For the record, if anyone is having issues logging in, you should try the following:
1) Try logging in with both your login name and screen name (which may have been different). The screen name is the name which your posts are labelled with. The login name is the name you used to log in to the forum.
2) Try entering your login name in lower-case if it isn't already.
3) The next thing to try is the password reset link: http://knightmare.com/forum/ucp.php?mode=sendpassword which will reset your password and send the new password to your registered email address.
4) If you no longer control your registered email address, and you missed our previous requests to update your account with your current address, you'll have to request assistance at the following page: http://www.knightmare.com/contact.htm.

If anyone has any suggestion as to why their login did/did not work, I'd love to hear it. As far as I am aware, it shouldn't be a matter of randomness. There should be something specifically different for those whose logins work versus those whose logins do not work.
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

Okay, I think the password problem is solved.
Sadly, I have no account on which to test this, though :(

Hopefully future logins can be made using your old forum login/password. If not, let me know!

Edit: Seems to be so far, so good. Looks like the bug is solved.
Illusion
Knight
Knight

Post by Illusion »

No problems to report here. Okay, I've only just got round to posting my first message on the new design forum! Good work.