Series 7 - Episode 15

User avatar
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight
Posts: 2797
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2003 1:12 pm
Location: Salford, UK
Contact:

Re: What would have happened?

Post by HStorm » Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:12 pm

I think he means he's watched all eight seasons recently, but in a jumbled order - season 7 would be the one he watched last.
Bluke wrote:The quest directly before his lasted 50 minutes, wherea's barry's spanned four episodes and was up there at almost 72.
Couple of things about this. Firstly, I've always made it to be about 64 minutes. (Mind you, with all the footage that was apparently cut out, it could well have been above eighty!)

Secondly, the timespan of a quest doesn't necessarily govern how difficult it is. For example, team 3 in season 5 had a quest that lasted almost an hour, but was not noticeably awkward.

Thirdly, the length of this quest was increased to a great extent by Barry himself mouthing off so much. A lot of the scenes were supposedly more difficult for the cast than for the team, because it was tricky for them to try and 'ad-lib' proceedings in the direction that plot was meant to go in. (See how irritated Iona Kennedy was getting while rowing Barry through the sewers.)

User avatar
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 1801
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2003 11:53 am
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: What would have happened?

Post by Mystara » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:44 am

The timespan of a quest is largely irrelevant.
It's just an indicator of how much material was not cut. Presumably because Barry was entertaining.
Alan Boyd
Website: http://www.twicetwice.co.uk/

Helvellyn
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer
Posts: 34
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:31 pm

Re: What would have happened?

Post by Helvellyn » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:52 pm

HStorm wrote:(See how irritated Iona Kennedy was getting while rowing Barry through the sewers.)
That was a bit of a missed opportunity. I was looking forward to seeing Barry puncture a bit of Graystagg's pomposity.

hindleyite
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:48 pm
Location: Wigan
Contact:

Re: What would have happened?

Post by hindleyite » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:45 pm

HStorm wrote:Thirdly, the length of this quest was increased to a great extent by Barry himself mouthing off so much. A lot of the scenes were supposedly more difficult for the cast than for the team, because it was tricky for them to try and 'ad-lib' proceedings in the direction that plot was meant to go in. (See how irritated Iona Kennedy was getting while rowing Barry through the sewers.)
Yeah, dunno about 'Queen of the Witches', she was more like 'Queen of the Bitches' in this episode. ;)

"Stop your wittering!" or something to that effect... though I thought the actors ad-libbed very well in general for this quest, certainly ended the series earning their crust. Oh, and I, like many in this thread, swear Barry was decapitated at the Blades, but he was such good entertainment we'll let that one slide.

Good series finale, things certainly picked up from the earlier episodes.

User avatar
Pooka
Fright Knight
Fright Knight
Posts: 1055
Joined: Sun Nov 17, 2002 10:55 pm
Location: London
Contact:

Re: What would have happened?

Post by Pooka » Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:30 pm

It was, "please don't bother me - the stench of this place!"

Not that it matters. It wouldn't have helped Barry if he had had more of a go at talking to Greystagg. It was clear that they needed her help and, had they irritated her, she could have easily refused to help them in the end. That's probably why Barry was quiet.
Pooka - teacher, writer, comedian, musician, geek, and full-time Knightmarian.

Bumptious
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:25 pm

Re: What would have happened?

Post by Bumptious » Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:16 pm

hindleyite wrote:
HStorm wrote:Thirdly, the length of this quest was increased to a great extent by Barry himself mouthing off so much. A lot of the scenes were supposedly more difficult for the cast than for the team, because it was tricky for them to try and 'ad-lib' proceedings in the direction that plot was meant to go in. (See how irritated Iona Kennedy was getting while rowing Barry through the sewers.)
Yeah, dunno about 'Queen of the Witches', she was more like 'Queen of the Bitches' in this episode. ;)

"Stop your wittering!" or something to that effect... though I thought the actors ad-libbed very well in general for this quest, certainly ended the series earning their crust. Oh, and I, like many in this thread, swear Barry was decapitated at the Blades, but he was such good entertainment we'll let that one slide.

Good series finale, things certainly picked up from the earlier episodes.
The Barry/Greystagg exchange was one of my favourite moments in the entire series. I remember it well.

Barry (entering boat): It's a very nice boat.
Derek: Is it now?
Barry: Yes, it's lovely.
Greystagg: Stop your wittering, or i'll dismiss you!
Barry: I beg your pardon.

Barry reminded me of Sergeant Wilson from Dad's Army during that little exchange. To be fair, I think the actors probably enjoyed participating in a quest where they didn't have to "lead" the dungeoneer. It was something different to the norm, and any actor worth his or her salt would have enjoyed the extra challenge of having to think on their feet. It was a pity Brother Mace was no longer part of the dungeon, it would have been great to see Michael Cule matching Barry in a good bit of banter.

Canadanne
Fright Knight
Fright Knight
Posts: 1901
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:53 pm
Location: Poole, Dorset
Contact:

Re: Series 7 - Episode 15

Post by Canadanne » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:29 pm

The Brollachan wrote:Also on Play Your Cards Right the last card he choose was the joker yet the previous team choose the other card. Does it mean that any team could pick either of the two last cards and get across, or was he allowed to live?
Personal theory - Barry does pick the wrong card at the end of PYCR, but is allowed to get away with it because they're obviously a great team and they stated a valid reason for choosing it (the joker often being used as a wildcard). I think they were really supposed to choose the 10 of Clubs like Julie's team did. It would seem a bit pointless including a choice that didn't matter, and the joker is upside-down, perhaps symbolising that a fool can expect a fall! I'm not sure that a less entertaining team would have survived touching that card.

Treguard is audibly surprised that Barry remembers Brother Strange's name, haha. :)

User avatar
Morghanna
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Posts: 166
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:37 pm
Location: Kent
Contact:

Re: Series 7 - Episode 15

Post by Morghanna » Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:20 pm

A frenetic series finale!
Team 7 made solid progress of the chaos of cards. Quickly worked out the critical choice on the penultimate row. Either both cards were an acceptable choice on the final row (which makes no sense) or they got yet another reprieve, coz Julie's team chose the other card and survived. Hilarious moment when they dumped the goblin into the abyss, just in time. ;D ;D
Confronted by the brollachan again and handled it much more easily this time.
Novel use of the dripping water to restore life-force. Corny use of the "shell-phone" to replace a spyglass for info. ::)
Risked the left-hand exit marked "short-cut", which led them into a faster corridor of blades. 8-o Fortunately it wasn't a particularly long sequence and Barry didn't actually have to move too many times, as their directions were less than convincing. That penultimate blade quite clearly went thru his legs! 8-o (You could hear an "ooooh!" which i think was actually from Treguard. :D) Another reprieve....
Encountered Brother Strange again, who offered them useful info.
Next-up was Romahna in the stocks (it was obviously her turn this week) captured by Sly Hands. (Great improvising by Paul Valentine with too many things going-on at once!) They tricked him into drinking the "freeze" potion so they could release Romahna. She led him thru to a chamber where there were two objects in force fields: the Shield and a troll hammer. Summoned Queen Greystagg, who instructed them that she could only release one. They made the noble decision to sacrifice their quest to save Knightmare Castle and released the troll-hammer. :)
Used the "fast-backward" potion which rewound his quest to the ante-room. Treguard used the troll-hammer to destroy the troll just in time. Yay! :)
The eye-shield had been mysteriously replaced with the quest Shield, meaning victory for team 7 after all. :D

Team 7 were a likeable team. Barry was the most proactive dungeoneer ever and his advisors were a good group. Even so, i reckon team 6 were a more competent team overall, whereas team 7 had several very blatant reprieves during their quest.
"I think it's about time you got wise to the ways of real magic. The kind that is borne on the dark side." >:D

Post Reply