Series 4 Episode 3

Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Re: Series 4 - Episode 3

Post by Drassil » Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:51 am

I agree with James. Thank you for a new and interesting observation, Morghanna.

For easier comparison, here are the official YouTube clips from the ITV Children's Classics channel of the spindizzy and the Place of Choice disc:

If the disc was operated manually (as, for example, the conundrum answer board was in Countdown), it may have been difficult to get a consistent speed.

In a similar vein, we may find ourselves discussing Block & Tackle entry points in due course.

s4t8brett
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Re: Series 4 Episode 3

Post by s4t8brett » Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:55 am

Giles (team 8 dungeoneer) mentioned he noticed the whirr of the motor from the beginning of the scene, before filming started - but the machinery could have had an analogue speed setting that was set slightly differently each time the device was set up.

Morghanna
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Morghanna » Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:39 am

You would hope that the machinery would be set at a standard pace. It would be a little harsh on some teams if it were not.
Drassil, thanks for the video clips. Not sure if there is any noticeable speed difference between the two clips in S3. Of the clips from S3 it was only team 2 where it seemed faster.
As an opening challenge in S4, this was actually a tricky little test. Those exit walkways look quite narrow. At least in S3 there are 5 exits next to each other. I think a couple of teams actually missed their marked exit but still landed on the next one. No such room for error at the place of choosing! 8-o
"I think it's about time you got wise to the ways of real magic. The kind that is borne on the dark side." >:D

Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Re: Series 4 - Episode 3

Post by Drassil » Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:38 am

s4t8brett wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:55 am
Giles (team 8 dungeoneer) mentioned he noticed the whirr of the motor from the beginning of the scene, before filming started - but the machinery could have had an analogue speed setting that was set slightly differently each time the device was set up.

Brett, I regret that I'd forgotten about this thread from a couple of years ago in which I'd asked about the revolving disc and you'd mentioned Giles hearing the motor. Thanks for reminding me.

Anyone with playground memories of stepping onto or off a moving roundabout will sympathise with Alistair's loss of footing. A shame they couldn't have edited or refilmed it to save him some embarrassment.

s4t8brett
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by s4t8brett » Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:17 pm

In many ways, when you think about it, this is a classic fiendish Knightmare puzzle: as an adviser, there's little you can do except to suggest the timing of your dungeoneer's vault; as the dungeoneer, blindfolded and launching off - as Drassil put it - a roundabout. It was the only scene we filmed on our first day of filming, we spent about five minutes negotiating it and I remember saying to the rest of the team when we were at our hotel that evening, "If that was just the first challenge, what will the rest be like?"

Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by Drassil » Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:56 pm

s4t8brett wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:17 pm
It was the only scene we filmed on our first day of filming, we spent about five minutes negotiating it and I remember saying to the rest of the team when we were at our hotel that evening, "If that was just the first challenge, what will the rest be like?"

That's interesting to consider in a broader context. It's not something that teams from any other Knightmare series could have related to. Series 2 dungeoneers got their quests started by pulling a lever; Series 3 dungeoneers by rolling a die. Giles and the seven other S4 dungeoneers were asked to risk their physical health. I can imagine Alistair and his advisors being a little shaken by his stumble, and - like you and your team, Brett - being left with a heightened sense of trepidation about what challenges lay ahead.

Morghanna
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Morghanna » Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:08 pm

Yes, coz from your knowledge of series 3 your team would have known this as a level 2 challenge, so to encounter it immediately must have been interesting. Particularly unfortunate that you had overnight to dwell on that thought before continuing....
Obstacles like the spindizzy are the reason why i would have wanted to be an advisor not the actual dungeoneer if i had ever been on the program. :)
"I think it's about time you got wise to the ways of real magic. The kind that is borne on the dark side." >:D