Series 2 - Episode 11

Elita
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Series 2 - Episode 11

Post by Elita »

I really think this team got a raw deal. Okay, so they missed the bits of the MEDAL spell, (but they didn't get much chance to get it what with the Automatum following so closely) but they could have escaped from Ariadne's Lair if they'd ignored Gretel. (I would have! I can't stand her!)  After all, she didn't give them anything useful for freeing her, since she just told them to use a spell they didn't have.

Anyway, I'm wondering what would have happened if they HAD ignored her. Since she didn't give them any clues or advice for later in the level, I don't see how ignoring her could have done any harm. Well, except for the whole code of chivalry thing... But still, it's bloody Gretel! Sod the code, I want to see Ariadne eat her!
"Gentlemen! Please! You can fight like itsy bitsy babies later. Right now we have adult name-calling and mud-slinging to attend to."
- Dr. Nightmare, Attorney at Law
Fidjit
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re: Series 2, Team 9

Post by Fidjit »

That would be nice! I was wondering why they didn't get a MEDAL spell in the first place...

What exactly is the spell anyway? How would it have freed them?
If the only way is onward how would you get home for tea?? :-/
MrP
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by MrP »

I suppose the logic could be that the Medal siginifies "winning" the battle against Ariadne? There's as much logic to that as whistling your way past her, anyway...

I agree that they were harshly treated though. A couple of seconds of dithering is all they were guilty of - perhaps this would be punished in level three, but the automaton gave them no time at all.

They had to free Gretel, though. No team would have been allowed to continue and win if they'd refused the chance to free her.
If this were really happening, what would you think?
GrimaldineGrimwold
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by GrimaldineGrimwold »

But still, it's bloody Gretel! Sod the code, I want to see Ariadne eat her!
LOL. Definitely. It's amazing how these tiresome dungeon wenches get into these situations all the time. Do they EVER learn from their mistakes? No, dear reader, they don't. I bet if she's still infecting technospace with her pointless over-enthusiasm, Mellisandre still goes and stands on trapdoors whenever she comes across them.

I'd be tempted to apply a "survival of the fittest" principle to the dungeon inhabitants. I mean, if you inhabit a dungeon along with goblins, hobgoblins, cavernwights, catacombites, Velda's horrendous acting ability and assorted other nasties, you're not going to last long when you can't escape some leg stocks when THERE'S NOTHING STOPPING YOU LIFTING THE TOP BAR AND GETTING YOURSELF FREE. That's just sheer laziness, and if my imaginary team had come across such a situation I'd have instructed our dungeoneer to ignore her pleas and sidestep quickly away. It's a kindness, really.  

Treguard: "But there's a girl here needing your aid, Team."
GG: "Keep sidestepping, that's it. Tell the lazy little cow to run next time she sees goblins coming toward her, rather than standing there waving her arms around and asking them if they've seen Motley."
"Sometimes of the Grey, but always of the Green, dearie. Shurrup Brollachan! Have you seen Festus, my dear? I need to take him back to Cornwall. " [cackle]
Fidjit
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Fidjit »

...rather than standing there waving her arms around and asking them if they've seen Motley."
I didn't appear until 1989 Grimaldine, that was 1988
If the only way is onward how would you get home for tea?? :-/
MrP
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by MrP »

I didn't appear until 1989 Grimaldine, that was 1988
If we're going to be trainspotter-esque about it, I think the reference was to Melly's repeated failure to steer clear of stocks in series 4/1990, as is backed up by the references to Motley and to the Goblins. Sorry mate!
If this were really happening, what would you think?
JoeGrocottJames
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by JoeGrocottJames »

I personally think that if the team had had the MEDAL spell, and they freed gretel with the FREE spell, Gretel (after telling the team to use the MEDAL spell to get out) would perhaps have given a piece of information or a spell after the team would have said that they had MEDAL (Had they got to Merlin's Throne Room yet? If not, perhaps they would have got a 'step' clue here - the step clues are often, if Adventure Time in the Eye Shield is anything to go by, given as an 'afterthought', i.e. at the end of the conversation, the character will often add "Oh, and the first/second/third step is...")

Just my 2 cents worth.
Pooka
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Pooka »

I think you're a bit confused. Merlin's Throne Room with the Step Clues didn't appear until Series 3.
Pooka - teacher, writer, comedian, musician, geek, and full-time Knightmarian.
JoeGrocottJames
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by JoeGrocottJames »

I think you're a bit confused. Merlin's Throne Room with the Step Clues didn't appear until Series 3.
Oops, I forgot about that! I haven't actually seen these series, I have just read the Series guides on this website and made a little slip there.
Elita
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by Elita »

I personally think that if the team had had the MEDAL spell, and they freed gretel with the FREE spell, Gretel (after telling the team to use the MEDAL spell to get out) would perhaps have given a piece of information or a spell after the team would have said that they had MEDAL
That's my theory too, I'm guessing that since they hadn't got the MEDAL spell and had freed Gretel, giving them any extra information would have been pointless since they weren't going to get out of the Lair. Still think it was unfair though.

And I agree with GG, those bloody Dungeon Maids are just asking for trouble! You'd think Melisandre would have the sense to NOT stand on blatantly obvious trapdoors.
"Gentlemen! Please! You can fight like itsy bitsy babies later. Right now we have adult name-calling and mud-slinging to attend to."
GrimaldineGrimwold
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by GrimaldineGrimwold »

If we're going to be trainspotter-esque about it, I think the reference was to Melly's repeated failure to steer clear of stocks in series 4/1990, as is backed up by the references to Motley and to the Goblins. Sorry mate!
Yes, that was the reference. Thankyou for mentioning it, Mr. P. In fairness, my message there was also a bit tongue in cheek. I'm very willing for people to correct me on points of fact, and I do like a good debate sometimes, but doing so to posts meant to be just slightly humorous rather than informative might not be the best thing to do. :D

It's all good.
"Sometimes of the Grey, but always of the Green, dearie. Shurrup Brollachan! Have you seen Festus, my dear? I need to take him back to Cornwall. " [cackle]
Malefact
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Malefact »

The biggest joke is that the exit was right behind her! :)
Subject to change.
Elita
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by Elita »

The biggest joke is that the exit was right behind her! :)
Indeed! Then again, this is Gretel we're talking about, so she probably didn't notice it.  ;D
knightmaredave
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by knightmaredave »

Oh yrah it would have been great if aRIE ADNIE HAD ATE GRETEL THEN WEwouldnt not have had to listen to her go on and on yeah if Knightmare does come back,(positive thoughts!!) then get aa back in and get her to eat gretel a one off cameo appearance!!!
(cant help get the feeling i am being more blunt than ever today a si have been all weekend hhhmmmmm, well sorry if it does msoudn blunt!
Just well liked the post
:D
knightmaredave
Malefact
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Malefact »

I'd love to see Ariadne return in the new Km.
Subject to change.