Fraud!

Series, Teams, History, Behind the scenes etc. - all discussed here.
Fidjit
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Fraud!

Post by Fidjit »

I know this doesn't sound positive, but is the whole of Knightmare set up. Does TC come up to you and say "Right you ain't gonna win in fact you're going to die on level one."
Last edited by Fidjit on 23 Sep 2003, 16:49, edited 1 time in total.
If the only way is onward how would you get home for tea?? :-/
GrimaldineGrimwold
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re: Fraud!

Post by GrimaldineGrimwold »

No.

That's not to say there weren't certain arbitrary elements. If you're the last team in a series, then it's likely you won't get a chance to win. If a team dies right at the end of a series then it does look slightly contrived, but that may easily be through padding and extending their stay rather than from being "killed off". In any case, even if they didn't have a chance to win, they still got to take part, which is surely worth a lot in itself.

There are also cases where teams have been "let off" and allowed to continue, not through any real unfairness, but because the next team hadn't yet arrived at the studios. Having said that, I can't recollect and haven't heard of any winning team who were granted that luxury. I guess we may never know.

There are always difficult cases. Did X get hit by a blade? Did Y escape the room in time? Should Z's team have been disqualified because the amazing starry pattern of one of her advisors' outfits was distracting the production team? I don't think you'll ever convince everyone on the rightness or otherwise of those.
"Sometimes of the Grey, but always of the Green, dearie. Shurrup Brollachan! Have you seen Festus, my dear? I need to take him back to Cornwall. " [cackle]
Malefact
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Malefact »

Km is a fair game. Whether a Dungeoneer strayed too far off the path or actually did make 'contact' with a blade is the decision of the makers.
Subject to change.
Dublex
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by Dublex »

I don't know what you think, but from what I remember and double checked from some of the video footage of the series I think that the majority of deaths were caused mainly by the teams themselves.

The only real "near miss" case in my opinion was in one of the early series when a team jumped over a missing square of merlin block puzzle and fell off, but the recoil could have sent him over the edge.

The block and tackle room in series 4 has to have one of the best deaths - where a dungeoneer was told to go left instead of right, and fell right into the hole. whoops :D
===

Justice - keeping Chaos at bay with a double-edged pointy thing
Lord_Bob

Post by Lord_Bob »

If KM had all been fixed and TC told the teams where to die then why would the teams look so genuinely disappointed when they did, and be so hyperactive during dangerous rooms. Surely now its finished a past dungeoneer would have said something about it being fixed.
MrP
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by MrP »

I honestly believe there was no fixing in any Knightmare quest - although I could be convinced that something suspicious was going on in the final quest of series 1. Quite apart from the neat finish of the quest ending at the very end of the final episode, I found that the team seemed to be given almost a clear run through to the third level.

We'll never know for sure I suppose, but I can't really see the logic in 'fixing' anything.
If this were really happening, what would you think?
Malefact
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Malefact »

It is true that the last team of series 1 had a less difficult time because they didn't have Cedric's riddles to contend with.

Perhaps they were helped into Level Three a bit in order to show the audience what it actually looked like. This happened, in fact, in the final programme so the series finished on a high.
Subject to change.
MrP
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by MrP »

It is true that the last team of series 1 had a less difficult time because they didn't have Cedric's riddles to contend with.

Perhaps they were helped into Level Three a bit in order to show the audience what it actually looked like. This happened, in fact, in the final programme so the series finished on a high.
My thoughts exactly. I suspect that at the time the entire series was very much a case of CITV dipping it's toe in the water (if you can imagine such a thing..) and a tantalizing glimpse of what level 3 may hold wouldn't have done any harm in terms of helping the decision makers to commission another series.
If this were really happening, what would you think?