Series 9

How might you change Knightmare if a new series were to be made?
Lowebo
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Series 9

Post by Lowebo »

In series 9, if you could invent a storyline - eg, troll, dragon etc for end of series - or if you think somethng like S3 - no storyline - would be better, then what would it be? Wonder if Tim would take our thoughts on board! - PS, Tim, if reading, how bout *guaranteeing* Nic a spot on the show - if he wants it?! Oh, and feel free to include me  ::) ;)
One time willowthewisp... Never in the shadows.
Malefact
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re: Series 9

Post by Malefact »

Depends if he can act!  ;D

How about the same ending as series 3 had, but extended a bit? How about the dungeoneer having, say, five minutes to get out of the dungeon by finding some kind of spell, or a person who knows where a way out is.
Subject to change.
Jericho6
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by Jericho6 »

That's a pretty cool idea - but do you think five minutes is long enough?
If 'exclude' is the opposite of 'include', then what's the opposite of 'increment'?
Malefact
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Malefact »

Well, it depends on how the game will play out. Since the dungeoneer is now capable of seeing, things will be speeded up quite considerably. Five minutes was just off the top of my head - it might have to be longer. It depends on what they have to do.
Subject to change.
GrimaldineGrimwold
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by GrimaldineGrimwold »

I always loved the dungeon breaking up sequences, and it'd be great to see that done again with everything that's now graphically possible.

I liked the idea in later series that Lord Fear somehow created the Dungeon- he could make it as difficult as he liked, it just had to be possible. Since he was a technomancer, I suppose he didn't go out there with some bricks and a cement mixer and built it by hand. He may have just "found" some pieces in technospace (and I suppose the characters weren't his creation), but I'd guess that he used his magic to bring most of it into existence. So how did it stay in existence? Well, how about by sheer force of his will? And one person, even of Fear's intellect and magical prowess, can only will for so long. (About 16 weeks, perhaps?) And when his will falters, the dungeon loses its integrity. Slowly at first (a few signs around week 15) but by the final episode it really starts to break up around him. Of course, that's a threat to everyone, the Powers That Be (and, somehow, Treguard) included.

So somehow Treguard has to get the Powers That Be and the Opposition to make this one show of unity. Only together can they stabilise the Dungeon, freeze it in its state of imminent destruction. The worldly representation of that would be a collective spell by Fear as commander of the Opposition, Hordriss as spokesman of the Powers That Be, and Treguard as Referee of the Greater Game. Naturally, there'd be some comedy to be had. Fear would probably initially refuse to work with the Powers That Be, but when his own chamber starts to collapse around him would reluctantly- in true coward mode- utter the appropriate words.

The result? Everything and everyone frozen in near-collapse, apart from Fear, Hordriss and Treguard. More comedy to be had, perhaps with Fear talking to an inanimate Lissard. ("Even in that state, your breath still stinks", or similar.) Fear threatens to build a bigger and more nasty dungeon next year, and Treguard, taking note of the venom in Fear's voice, issues the Challenge to the kidsies at home.

Last edited by GrimaldineGrimwold on 19 Mar 2003, 17:55, edited 1 time in total.
"Sometimes of the Grey, but always of the Green, dearie. Shurrup Brollachan! Have you seen Festus, my dear? I need to take him back to Cornwall. " [cackle]
Lowebo
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by Lowebo »

How about the dungeoneer having, say, five minutes to get out of the dungeon by finding some kind of spell, or a person who knows where a way out is.
Good idea but how about a twist - if they DONT manage it, the same team has to start the next series - same clothes, longer hair, etc - that way it could seem like they were stuck there!
One time willowthewisp... Never in the shadows.
Malefact
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Malefact »

Could be awkward if they go through a growth spurt!

Mind you, the dungeon would have been destroyed.
Subject to change.
Jericho6
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by Jericho6 »

Could be awkward if they go through a growth spurt!

Mind you, the dungeon would have been destroyed.
I don't think anybody would notice, over a period of a year. In fact, I would probably have forgotten the entire team.
If 'exclude' is the opposite of 'include', then what's the opposite of 'increment'?
WhiteFloatingSkull
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Screw that...

Post by WhiteFloatingSkull »

Let's all apply to be the first volunteers - at least that way we'd all have a front row seat to the mayhem.  ;D

As for the finale - Why not have god fold it away and pack it in a suitcase, to be played with another year.  :P

{Eugh - is Atheist, fer chris' sakes. LOL}
WoOOo, I am the floating Skull - bite my shiny cranium!!!
It still waits.
DavidNewton
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by DavidNewton »

Nice to have you back, Skully (if I may call you that) - was wondering what had happened to you.
Far beyond the rising sun, I ride the wings of fate... prepared to go where my heart belongs - back to the past again!
JoeGrocottJames
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by JoeGrocottJames »

I personally would like to see the dungeon breaking up/disintegrating. I think that could be made quite spectacular nowadays. Yes, that sort of thing is hackneyed (like in films where the enemy base always blows up at the end), but I think it nevertheless works well. I do not think that there should be a storyline like in the later series (because the outcome was always 'manufactured'). I also ask if it is not possible to make it so that no team has to stop at the end of the season other that naturally ending their quest - 'Who wants to be a Millionaire?' manages this, so I wonder why Knightmare never managed it?

One further point I would like (if you are reading this Tim) - I would prefer it if the Dungeon Master (whether you use Hugo Myatt or not - and I personally think that Hugo Myatt should still be used, partly because everyone remembers him) should be 'neutral' rather than 'good' - as Treguard was in the early series. And I would prefer dungeon crawls rather than outside scenes.
Jericho6
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by Jericho6 »

Well they managed it for season one, although it may have been either contrived or a cioncidence ("Where is the horn to bring down the walls of Jericho?" BONNNNNNNNG!!!!!!!)  I think there was probably enough editing room in the season to allow it to end naturally  - although that probably depends on the production process. I think that the new Knightmare was going to be live? so that would kindof rule it out somewhat. I still reckon the most plausible way of ending a season is giving the team x minutes to leave the dungeon, this could be quite interesting in a live environment I think.
Whiteknight
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by Whiteknight »

And I would prefer dungeon crawls rather than outside scenes.
Yeah, I would definitely agree with that.  The concept of the dungeons underneath Knightmare castle were abandoned a bit too prematurely in my opinion.

I hope that they keep in line with computer graphics though.  I say this because during series 6 and 7 the dwarf tunnel scenes were made using real 'hand crafted' tunnels rather than the computer generated ones of the earlier series.  It didn't add anything to the game; you just knew that there was a cameraman behind the dungeoneer and there weren't any bats with disproportionally large teeth anymore  :D.
'Join us again soon for Knightmare, it's well worth waiting for.'