USA pilots

A discussion of the Knightmare spin-offs from around the world.
Moocowthingy
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

USA pilots

Post by Moocowthingy »

I read on the main site that a pilot of Knightmare was made for the USA, I forget if it was one episode or a series.  With the contacts that have been made by this site would it not be possible to get hold of these if they still exist?.  It would just be nice to see a fresh adventure of the old kind.

Does anyone actualy know how the teams did and did they play the standard UK Knightmare?.

Has anyone watched other versions of Knightmare ( foreighn ) and were they any good?.  Would you like to see them with subtitles?

Laters
WhiteDevil
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Re: USA pilots

Post by WhiteDevil »

i think the same production team for Knightmare (Broadsword / Televirtual) produced the American Knightmare, it was preety much the same but didnt get past pilot stage... Americans wouldnt know a good idea if i jumped into bed with them  ;D

I think Challenge have also looked into getting the French Knightmare, but it wasnt feasible to make it a bit like Takeshi's Castle, which is a pity because it seems really good  ;)
Those Who Live In The Past Are Doomed To Repeat It
GrimaldineGrimwold
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by GrimaldineGrimwold »

Here's what creator Tim Child said about the American pilot:

"In 1993 we kept all the staff and cast on for two days at the end of series production and made a 30 minute pilot for the US market, entitled Lords of the Game.
All the cast were used except Hugo who was replaced by an American actor. Players were provided by the US Air base at Mildenhall in Suffolk. The pilot was not successful, US production companies being terrified of Cromakey-based shows, because of the technical complexity. A German production of Knightmare was agreed with RTL in Cologne in 91 but was then cancelled.
We were to make the first series (50 shows) in the UK, flying in German players and actors, and then export the production to Cologne for series 2."

I think he also said at one stage that none of us had seen it. That was in the context of discussing possible DVD extras, so if that happens (and you can go and sign the petition to try and make it happen!) then we might well see it. Dependent on copyright issues and space, it might also be possible to include an episode of at least one of the foreign series to compare and contrast.
"Sometimes of the Grey, but always of the Green, dearie. Shurrup Brollachan! Have you seen Festus, my dear? I need to take him back to Cornwall. " [cackle]
KaM
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by KaM »

Grand ideas.

I think it's a great shame that the Us didn't take up KM, because with the sheer mass and size of the media market over there, surely somebody should have seized the opportunity and taken the risk of getting to grips with cromakey based material. Still, in a way, I'm always reservedly pleased that it didn't make it through to the US, because I just feel that the whole concept of the ideas and creation being British and the lengendary cast swopped for American wannabes would - just lose part of what's so special about the show for me.

As far as the extra material releases going, I maintain that an educated route to go by, where possibly both VHS and DVD are concerned, is that the first and last series, being the shortest, would have the potential extra capacity on the media to house the various extras that GM might like to release on there. That is actually rather convenient, because with S1, there's potential for extras such as the pilots, the testing and info on the construction of the show and its creation. S8 could house possibly more pilots, interviews (possibly fan interviews) and info on the new projects, should that be relevant at the time of release.

This doesn't mean I'd hope to neglect all the other series from extras too, but if they were released chronologically, S1 would sell countless more copies for the additions, and that would only prove beneficial to further releases, if GM wanted to play it that way. Also, S8, a disappointment to many people, could also see a huge increase in sales when that emerged because of the additional bits and pieces. I'm not saying here that KM fans wouldn't purchase S8 without it - not in the slightest - but borderline fans and general interest folk would certainly be convinced!

I just think we all need to stay focused, keep cracking down on the dreaded *unwanted* topic posts, give no ambiguity to why there shouldn't be a release - and keep believing ~      KaM
Knightmarian. alphavillean. Marvellian.
Malefact
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Malefact »

Very good point indeed.

Series 1 is sufficiently short enough to fit onto a single disc. This would another disc solely for extras such as the Chromakey experiment, the two pilot episodes, deleted scenes and outtakes.

Such a huge hoard of goodies would make it as attractive as possible to potential buyers - and thus snare as big a sale as possible, justifying the release of all the other series.

If Granada really want to push to boat out, they could even make a short documentary to accompany the DVD release - possibly in eight small parts, one for each series. They could contain clips of the foreign formats.
Subject to change.
Moocowthingy
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Moocowthingy »

Hey all, thanks for the information.  Its a shame the USA pilot was only 30 mins, they would be lucky to get to level 3 even if it was only one team.  I'll go sign the DVD petition now and see what comes of age.

Laters
Jebstar
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by Jebstar »

As far as the American version was concerned, no wonder it didnt get past the pilot without Hugo Myatt! He was what made the show so good. Apparently the dvds can be bought direct from the maker, but as its a single order its rather expensive. Maybe if a group of people got together, they would drop the price?
Cant even quest!
Pickle123
Knight
Knight

Post by Pickle123 »

DVD's and VHS brought direct is very expensive and i doubt the price would be greatly dropped for bulk orders unless they reached HUGE amounts...at which point it becomes more cost efficient for them to release the dvd/video commercially. its got somthing to do with actors getting payed for recordings as it wasnt included in their original contract. not sure completely but at £80+ quid PER EPISODE on DVD i'm certainly praying for a commercial release. :)
http://www.petitionpetition.com/cgi/pet ... gi?id=5838

Click it, sign it, tell ya mates...please
Moocowthingy
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Moocowthingy »

Having said that one wonders what a Knightmare series one episode one would make on somwhere like Ebay.  I can see the mails now .... What do you mean, origianl?
Pickle123
Knight
Knight

Post by Pickle123 »

heh, moocow, you just shared the best money making scheme ive heard in a while...you fool ;D
http://www.petitionpetition.com/cgi/pet ... gi?id=5838

Click it, sign it, tell ya mates...please
Moocowthingy
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Moocowthingy »

Man ..... I never had the investment money.
angelordevil4585
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

No more Knightmare...

Post by angelordevil4585 »

...until September!

I'm off to the USA tomorrow for three months...I wonder how many series ahead challenge will be by then? I will attempt to get on here, and check the board, I especailly can't wait for Skip's game, which sounds wonderful!

Anyway, bye for now I guess!
Now, I don't like to gloat...what am I saying? I can't believe I just said that, dear me, what a little fibber I am. Of course I like to gloat...love it, something of a hobby.
TheBrollachan
Knight
Knight

Re:No more Knightmare...

Post by TheBrollachan »

Your mission it to get everyone in the USA interested in Knightmare. ::)
Twitter: https://twitter.com/SmokeHits
Keeper of the original modellers' cast of the Brollachan.
Ben5067
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by Ben5067 »

i wont b suprised if they showed all the serise by then or summin
Wolfshead
Knight
Knight

Post by Wolfshead »

How can I get hold of the pilot version of the American Knightmare?