Series 8 - Episode 3

Billy
Knight
Knight

Re:Series 8 Episode 3

Post by Billy »

Well, this team's managed to reach Level 3, and meet Honesty Bartram for the first time! I enjoyed the moment where Daniel disguised himself as Lord Fear, but the best bit was when all three advisors gasped in amazement when they saw the fantastic CGI stairs! We had our first look at the Reach Wand today, which included a cursor similar to the one on Monkey Island 1 and 2! On another note, the team seemed to calm down considerably when they got to the nifty new moving block room, they handled that VERY calmly, even when these new Miremen were following them. It ended with a surprisingly long Spyglass sequence, including a great moment where LF mentioned the codeword RIGHT before the fireball could have killed 'em. I wish Treguard and Majida didn't keep delivering their Time Out lines in the same place every episode (behind the fire) though.
(Oh, and something I forgot to mention in Episode 1- I see the copyright text at the end has been given a new font!)
Tom41
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Tom41 »

Good episode. First appearance this season of the Miremen, and of Honesty Bartram. I liked the way they spellcast SHADE to get past the Miremen, but I think the team are already in losing status here.

They bartered away the Sight potion to get the SHADE spell - yet had they taken a different object than the key they might have been able to barter that away, saving the Sight potion for when it's needed!

Also the first outing for the REACH wand. Whoever operated the cursor could have been doing a better job! Daniel was clearly pointing the wand upwards and the cursor was near the bottom of the screen!

The best bit this episode was when he took the Fearsome potion and transformed into Lord Fear - oddly his voice didn't change. I wonder if they dressed him up as LF for that scene, or just used Mark Knight in his costume, dubbing Daniel's voice on afterwards?
And the 'Humorous' bone that made Raptor laugh, that was a nice touch!

Gideon seems to have trouble describing rooms.
I could have described one of the rooms as a "Room with moving floors", rather than the long-winded explanation that Gideon gave ;)

The Miremen seem to be played by members of the crew who've just been made up on their day off - looks like they were made to walk, not swim!

When Maldame opened the gate, did anyone notice that it was a simple bitmap thing that moved upwards, rather than being 3D animated? Look carefully and you'll see the black background of the gate be replaced by an even darker shade of black as it opens :P

Knice visual effects for Daniel walking down the steps to Level 3, and the eye-shield sequence in the tower. At one point we saw Daniel walking along the 3D rendered corridors usually reserved for eye-shield scenes!

And the first time in this episode, the fireball appears just as an important piece of information is about to be given! I think they _just_ got the code word, even though they're already in losing status :'(
One day you say "Enter Stranger" and big goblin comes in!
TheBrollachan
Knight
Knight

Post by TheBrollachan »

I have a strange feeling that the last part of my previous post will come true in the next episode. It would seem that each level takes longer to complete than the previous level. Level 1 was very short compared to level 2 or it just seemed like it was, probably because they took ages to make there minds up.

Nice trick with the spy glass, making you have to judge your timings just right. Too short and you don't get the vital information, too long and you get fried by a fireball.

Don't like the Miremen though, I think the Goblins were much better.
Last edited by TheBrollachan on 26 May 2004, 20:57, edited 1 time in total.
Twitter: https://twitter.com/SmokeHits
Keeper of the original modellers' cast of the Brollachan.
Malefact
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Malefact »

My goodness, series 8's level three is quite good, imo. Some marvellous graphics. The series is well and truly underway now.

This series more than any other, I think, has relative scale for each level. Level one is the smallest and level three is the biggest. I think this is an approach which works quite well.
Subject to change.
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by HStorm »

This is one of my favourite episodes simply for the closing lines; -

"Can you ever answer a straight question?"
"Maybe."

That's why Majida's better than Pickle. The friction between her and Treguard means they always feed each other much better lines.

I find I'm enjoying S8 much better ten years on than I did originally. Anyone else noticing that phenomenon?
Knightmare Audio Plays from The Dunshelm Players.
Steve
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Steve »

I particularly liked the idea implied by brother strange at the start of the first quest of the series "little of level one remains" the graphics used on this level give it a clearly dilapidated look and it works well with treguard's statement in series 6 "Lord Fear has ceased the advantage, and now even level 1 is patrolled by his minions"

a possible storyline here would b that LF managed to invade level one around this time and by series 8 all that remains are those few ruined chambers.

another would be that the dungeon (which we know is always changing) has started to fall apart beginning at level one.

either way, level one is so much cooler like that(especially with the motely/statue part of the first quest)
tis such a pity that Km was axed after a series with such potential.

whoa, head is spinnin wiv all these thoughts im gonna lie down, l8er guys.
Steve

Came, Saw, Mastered, Moved on...
Purgatory
Knight
Knight

Post by Purgatory »

good episode... all good.
Team are indeed doing quite well..

They also have brought back the boat.. lets hope there is not dwarf tunnels on it lol,
Talking of tunnles... they have gone back to the original style..... nice.

Plus bean chased by that red dragon, fireballs, Miremen, and skeletons... makes up for the Hauntings,, I to ain't a to keen on the Miremen., i can understand seeing them in parts but the Goblins should have been left to roam the dungeon,, they are the classic bad guy.

So far so easy, that moving platform room in level 2? we say a similar one in level one last season without the fireballs..

To many fireballs anyone?
My life is an endless purgatory interruped by profound moments of misery
FrightKnight
Knight
Knight

Post by FrightKnight »

I too am enjoying series 8 much more than I thought I would. The main problem is probably that it's too short. There's only 7 episodes left in this series!

Series 8 is also so much more of a challenge than series 7. I waited to see if the challenge was minimal in this one, but it has so far proved much harder. Thankfully. Hey, this time you actually have to answer riddles correctly, instead of 'confidently' (pfft!).
"A rotting pie! Oh no, I'm dead!"
Lowebo
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by Lowebo »

FrightKnight wrote: I too am enjoying series 8 much more than I thought I would. The main problem is probably that it's too short. There's only 7 episodes left in this series!
Ah, but that means 11 days till the Knightmare Summer Fest begins! And yeah, S8 seems so much better now!
One time willowthewisp... Never in the shadows.
knightmaredave
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by knightmaredave »

Oh, well i am sorry to say idont like series 8. The death scenes are awful, Treguards role is very limited and Majida take over practicaly, even when Treguard does say something, you can never tell as he is so quiet
knightmaredave
Kieran
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Kieran »

The lack of Treguard interaction is a bit baffling, yes, but so far I have really enjoyed the season. It was a little slow to start with, but you have to be impressed with the look of the Dungeon. Certain gives hope to how glossed the new series will look.

Anyone else like the new ante chamber?
'He's NOT a Dungeoneer, he's a VERY naughty boy!'
Malefact
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Malefact »

I'm not that sure I like the new antechamber, actually. It does have advantages over the old one, as I see them. It's larger and the new way into the Dungeon seems more ominous. However, the fact that everyone is continually standing up is a little bit of a problem subliminally. When people sit down to a task, there is a sense of "let's get down to it" which is one of the foundations in building tension. Also, I think Treguard and Majida are a little too far into the background - at times they're almost superfluous to the proceedings. I notice that extra scenes containing banter between the two of them have been inserted into the episodes. Were it not for these then they'd be little more than spectators.
Subject to change.
Purgatory
Knight
Knight

Post by Purgatory »

Everyone used to speak about how much Majida opens her mouth.. she doesn't speak that much,

trouble with the pool it tends to block off everything else... i liked the screen in the chest..

Can Treguard even see the quest??? he must be able to see another screen on the wall or something..

And did you expect them to keep the same look at that troll broke in?
My life is an endless purgatory interruped by profound moments of misery
WillsOfDoom
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by WillsOfDoom »

Good episode. I think that the progressively longer and harder levels adopted in this series is the ideal situation. Let's face it, a quest only becomes really interesting when a team reaches level two. Don't you just hate it when a team dies in level three, and you realise you have to start watching from level one again?
I like my telly scary, and very dungeonish.
angelordevil4585
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by angelordevil4585 »

Was this the episode where LF called Maldame a cow? or was that the next one? I remember it being during Daniel's quest. It was the same spyglass sequence when he called Lissard 'Tuna-chops' ;D
Now, I don't like to gloat...what am I saying? I can't believe I just said that, dear me, what a little fibber I am. Of course I like to gloat...love it, something of a hobby.