Series 8 - Episode 3

JoeGrocottJames
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Series 8 - Episode 3

Post by JoeGrocottJames »

Can anyone tell me what the team's other choices were in the level 3 clue room? (besides the red key and the sight potion which they took - they ended up trading the sight potion for a SHADE spell and died in the Corridor of Blades). I think that the red key was probably a red herring and they were meant to take another item to trade with Honesty Bartram instead of giving away the sight potion. Somebody said that the blades might have kept coming until they died. I think having the sight potion was a bonus - makes it easier - because other teams had to do the corridor of blades without a sight potion and made no earlier error.

Can somebody at least tell me what all the items in the level 3 clue room were (they are not mentioned on the site - only the items they took are mentioned).
PunmiesterWhiteley
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Re: Series 8, team 2

Post by PunmiesterWhiteley »

A gold bar maybe?

This team may have been screwed.  As they were the first to meet Honesty how would they know that he buys vital items off dungeoneers?

Although the SHADE spell was vital some competent guiding would have got them through the Corridor Of Blades.

The "blood" going everywhere was a superb touch.
You remind me of all the other men I've met in my life. All helmet and no brains.

(Stiletta to Mike)
Jericho6
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by Jericho6 »

How would *any* of the teams have known, unless either they were told (in which case, team 2 were rather unfairly screwed), or they had all watched what team 2 had done?
If 'exclude' is the opposite of 'include', then what's the opposite of 'increment'?
PunmiesterWhiteley
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

The next team saw Lord Fear tell Honesty not to give them a potion which they required to open the trapdoor.
You remind me of all the other men I've met in my life. All helmet and no brains.

(Stiletta to Mike)
GrimaldineGrimwold
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by GrimaldineGrimwold »

Somebody said that the blades might have kept coming until they died. I think having the sight potion was a bonus - makes it easier - because other teams had to do the corridor of blades without a sight potion and made no earlier error.
Hmm, that sounds like someone being overly melodramatic, so it was probably me who said it.

I'm still not 100% sure whether the SIGHT potions and such were a bonus, or whether you'd somehow be killed off without them, however well you attempted the obstable. I still can't think of an example where a team survived when they'd failed to acquire such a potion when meant to.    

It may be as you say with the Corridor of Blades. However, I don't think the fact earlier teams managed it without SIGHT invalidates my point. You only need to alter it very slightly to make it horribly difficult- blades coming a little faster, or for longer, as I originally suggested. It's the type of obstacle that really wears teams down- you shout and scream at the dungeoner to move left, but then you've got to do exactly the same again immediately afterwards in the opposite direction. There's no respite.  And just one wrong word by one advisor can and probably will mean death.  
Last edited by GrimaldineGrimwold on 08 Feb 2003, 17:40, edited 1 time in total.
"Sometimes of the Grey, but always of the Green, dearie. Shurrup Brollachan! Have you seen Festus, my dear? I need to take him back to Cornwall. " [cackle]
PunmiesterWhiteley
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Out of interest did the smaller dungeoneers have just the lower blades to contend with?  The upper ones would go over their heads.  Meanwhile tall dungeoneers would have to duck, making it harder to dodge the next one.

(Stiletta to Mike)
DavidNewton
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by DavidNewton »

I think the high ones came first to give a warning, then a mix of high and low, then a few low ones near the end, no matter what the size of the dungeoneer. Smaller ones definitely had an advantage here - but they could have just told them to lie flat on the floor, wouldn't that have worked?
Far beyond the rising sun, I ride the wings of fate... prepared to go where my heart belongs - back to the past again!
PunmiesterWhiteley
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

I was wondering that myself.  It's possible although whether they would allow that is another matter.

Off to watch KM now :D  

(Stiletta to Mike)
DavidNewton
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by DavidNewton »

One team tried it in S1/2 to get past a set of spears apparently (haven't seen it, just trying to remember from what I've seen on the site).
Far beyond the rising sun, I ride the wings of fate... prepared to go where my heart belongs - back to the past again!
Jericho6
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by Jericho6 »

Umm, I don't think anybody ever lied flat on the floor. I saw the repeats on the Sci-Fi channel a while ago, and I don't recall that ever happening.
If 'exclude' is the opposite of 'include', then what's the opposite of 'increment'?
Ark
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by Ark »

No one ever lay flat on the floor in the Corridor of Blades. One Dungeoneer did crawl very low in an early series to avoid a set of spears, if I remember right.

I don't think the high blades ever killed a Dungeoneer. Unless I'm mistaken, they were only killed by the low blades. (Bleeding to death from the knees...ooooh, nasty!) So presumably the high blades were there just to announce the coming of the blades and to freak out the team. :)

The items on the table in that quest were a Sight Potion, a red key, a glove, a giant needle and a scroll stating "Welcome to Level 3. This tower is called Linghorn. The Sword lies in Marblehead.". I actually think that the team could have swapped the key for the SHADE spell. Bartram did say something like "Keys are always interesting...". Honesty did have a habit of trying for the item that would be needed later, but settling for the other item if the team was firm enough (as in when he tried to get Maldame's globe off team 3. The team refused, and he accepted the gold instead) Of course, there's no evidence either way, so I guess it's another one of Knightmare's unanswered questions. Like what would the BUT spell have done...?
When you stare too long into the abyss, the abyss stares back at you...
Malefact
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Malefact »

I agree - they should have flogged the key.
Subject to change.
Pooka
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Pooka »

No it didn't, but many teams ducked.
Pooka - teacher, writer, comedian, musician, geek, and full-time Knightmarian.
TheBrollachan
Knight
Knight

Series 8 Episode 3

Post by TheBrollachan »

Not long until episode 3 starts (about 1 hour 20mins).

Will we see Hordriss, Rothberry, or Honesty Bartram in this episode. I'm aware that we won't see Sidriss for a while yet though.

Still will someone or something be able to cut this team down to size, as they are very loud (well the main advisor is).
Twitter: https://twitter.com/SmokeHits
Keeper of the original modellers' cast of the Brollachan.
Kieran
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re:Series 8 Episode 3

Post by Kieran »

Something will eventually! Maybe Treguard will gag him, very very noisey fella.
'He's NOT a Dungeoneer, he's a VERY naughty boy!'