Series 6 - Episode 15

Velda
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Re:Series 6 Ep 15 (The final one)

Post by Velda »

Hmm...well I liked the way the dungeoneer wasn't too stuck for words when meeting characters. The scenes with Ah Wok and Sly Hands were good and the bit with him on the broomstick was funny because you know he's actually being "moved" with a mouse. The red dragon was a good series ending, even though like others say, it was very quick.

On the other hand, I sometimes thought Chris was a bit abrupt when he asked for directions. Maybe this was something to do with the series nearing an end and he didn't want time to be wasted.
Willowherb
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by Willowherb »

I like Chris - sample dialogue:

"Shall I take the gold? Then I could bribe and hit someone."

Ah, amusingly violent. ;D

The dragon attack was a good enough idea, but they should have started the build-up to the finale earlier instead of rushing the ending so much. Maybe Chris could have been sent off on a short quest to look for the lightning rod in the first place since it was obvious there wasn't going to be enough time for him to redeem the Sword.
HarveyTowers
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Re:Series 6 - Episode 15

Post by HarveyTowers »

Off Smirky and into a Clue Room (or Clue Clearing)

Spy Glass this time gave us a glimpse at Greystagg talking to Heggarty, but the team were interupted by a Pooka.

Met Ah Wok and switched gold for the bloomstick and witch's lobe.
"Never mind about horns, some withes have them."

Met Sly and tried to pass himself of as a witch, it didn't help that the hood slipped down.

Given the way to dispell the Pooka by Greystagg and impresive as they crossed the causeway.

Told to abandon the quest for the sword and go for the lightning rod as the series came to an end along with the red dragon.
Good night out there; whatever you are!
DragonRider
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by DragonRider »

Hmm, it's been a while since I've been on the forum so I have to ask -is series 7 showing now on Challenge? The home website simply says series 7 Mon-Sat so I'm a little concerned that I've missed the beginning of this series yet since Harvey Towers message about the last episode of series 6 was posted today, I'm hoping that I may be just in time. It's the only series I haven't taped. I'll set the video for the late night repeat just in case....

On topic, I remember when this episode was first shown on Citv. Me and my parents had to go somewhere(can't remember where) and it's one of those things where your parents are saying to you, "Hurry up we've got to go!" and you'e all like, "Yes, just a minute, this has nearly finished!"
C'mon! The red dragon was going to destroy Knightmare castle, I had to see how it would be defeated and how Lord Fear would take it! Answer: Not very well. GOBLIN FODDER!!!! ;D
Skeletor
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by Skeletor »

Dragon Rider wrote: Hmm, it's been a while since I've been on the forum so I have to ask -is series 7 showing now on Challenge? The home website simply says series 7 Mon-Sat so I'm a little concerned that I've missed the beginning of this series yet since Harvey Towers message about the last episode of series 6 was posted today, I'm hoping that I may be just in time. It's the only series I haven't taped. I'll set the video for the late night repeat just in case....

On topic, I remember when this episode was first shown on Citv. Me and my parents had to go somewhere(can't remember where) and it's one of those things where your parents are saying to you, "Hurry up we've got to go!" and you'e all like, "Yes, just a minute, this has nearly finished!"
C'mon! The red dragon was going to destroy Knightmare castle, I had to see how it would be defeated and how Lord Fear would take it! Answer: Not very well. GOBLIN FODDER!!!! ;D
They showed Episode 1 of Series 7 this morning at 8:30 after the last episode of Series 6. Better set the VCR for the morning repeat.
WillsOfDoom
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by WillsOfDoom »

I think Chris was probably the most assertive dungeoneer ever. I think the team would have stood a good chance of redeeming the sword if there was time.

If only there was that vital sixteenth episode, there may have been 9 teams on the roll of honour rather than 8. Shame.
I like my telly scary, and very dungeonish.
Fishsta
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by Fishsta »

Well, I enjoyed MOST of the episode (and as I've said before, I felt later seasons lost the "feel" and downright scariness of previous seasons), but I didn't like the way the ending was brought in and executed in about 3 minutes, that plot should have been introduced somewhat earlier, maybe they just didn't want to risk Chris dying beforehand.

I also diskliked the way the team didn't get a send off, let's be honest, they deserved one, they were quick, intelligent and (as Wills of Doom said) assertive.

So, do you prefer a plotted ending or a "Phase Shift"?

Personally, I preferred the Phase Shift. It was somehow scarier! :)
darkDescender
Knight
Knight

Post by darkDescender »

Rewatching this episode, I've just noticed that, after the credits, when Lord F shouts "Goblin fodder!" the blue screen is very clearly visible behind him. Did anyone else notice this?
"Welcome to one of Mogdred's little playpens, dungeoneer. Play awhile...Play forever! Mwahahahahaha! Mwahahahahahahahaha!!!"
dontyoulikemypie
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by dontyoulikemypie »

Have to love the way they were only gonna take 1 clue in the level 2 clueroom cos the Pooka was attacking. In the end, Chris grabbed that grinding device, which served no purpose whatsoever! Ah Wok took the gold for the bloomstick and cloak, then insisted on taking the grinder to sell(!!!) as if they could only have 2 objects (cloak/stick) yet moments later, they are carrying witch amber too! Wonder what they were supposed to take from the clueroom? That dolly thing maybe? Who knows! Great series end. Very spooky, reminded me of the end of T-Bag where everyone had disappeared!
Canadanne
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re: Series 6 Ep 15 (The final one)

Post by Canadanne »

Ah Wok putting the robe on Chris: "Make you look like witch. No-one notice you, no-one throw firebombs at you." A couple of rooms later they have to find a way of dodging Peggatty's fireballs - so much for the great disguise!!
Billy wrote:I thought this team were pretty good, some funny stuff with Ah Wok ("Ah, hello Ciss!") and Sly Hands ("Warts, warts, go away, come again some other day" "Eh?!")
Yes - I don't really like Chris with his attitude problem, but his scene with Sly is very funny! The way Treguard & Pickle burst out laughing when Sly goes "EH?!" ;D
Moana Liza wrote:It appears to have been taken over by one of those giant Pookas, probably the one that they had to disspell the name of.
Strangely no sign of the dead dragon, though...!!
Pooka
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re: Re:Series 6 Ep 15 (The final one)

Post by Pooka »

dark Descender wrote:Rewatching this episode, I've just noticed that, after the credits, when Lord F shouts "Goblin fodder!" the blue screen is very clearly visible behind him. Did anyone else notice this?
This was pointed out by Matt at an RPG meetup. I'd never noticed it before but now it's the only thing I do notice in this scene! It may well have been added on as an afterthought to the series; the fact that the bluescreen is visible adds to this theory I think.
Pooka - teacher, writer, comedian, musician, geek, and full-time Knightmarian.
Morghanna
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Re: Series 6 Ep 15 (The final one)

Post by Morghanna »

Smirky took Chris (and Elita - is that a first?) to level 2. Immediately into the clue-area. Chose the gold and then just had time to grab the grinder as well when given the hurry-up.
Encountered Ah-Wok and traded them for a witches disguise and broomstick.
Amusing scene with Sly Hands. Great oops moment when his hood fell down to reveal the helmet of justice. ;D Received some amber in exchange for "helping" him with his warts.
Used the broom to dodge Peggatty.
Entered Greystagg's lair and she woz not impressed with the disguise. Surrendered the disguise and the witch-amber in exchange for the causeway instructions.
Did very well on the causeway to reach the scroll, dispel the pooka and cross safely against the clock, with only one close-call.

Quest interrupted by Hordriss, warning them of Lord Fears approaching red-dragon.
Found Nemanor's vessel and obtained the lightning rod required to stop the red-dragon.
Chris hurried back to the ante-room to deliver the rod, which Treguard used to destroy the dragon, but also signalled end-of-quest. :(

Such a shame that there were only 15 episodes, not 16, in S6 as this team were a competent group who could have had a decent chance of success with just a little more game-time. So yet again at series end a competent team saw their quest cut-off as incomplete, altho as with series 5 there was more of an end story.
"I think it's about time you got wise to the ways of real magic. The kind that is borne on the dark side." >:D
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Re: Series 6 - Episode 15

Post by Drassil »

I never expected to say anything positive about the incidental music in Series 6, but I noticed something fun.

When you next watch this episode, pay attention to the music when Chris is running through the dwarf tunnels to the Cloudwalker. Then compare it to the music in Doctor Who episode Rose when the Ninth Doctor (another Chris) and Rose are running to the London Eye (a track known as Westminster Bridge).
Knightmare: Kid-worthy, Naasty, Inspiring, Groundbreaking, Humorous, Treguard, Mesmerising, Adult-worthy, Rewarding, Essential.
AriadnesLayer
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Re: Series 6 - Episode 15

Post by AriadnesLayer »

Drassil wrote: 21 Jan 2023, 13:16 I never expected to say anything positive about the incidental music in Series 6, but I noticed something fun.

When you next watch this episode, pay attention to the music when Chris is running through the dwarf tunnels to the Cloudwalker. Then compare it to the music in Doctor Who episode Rose when the Ninth Doctor (another Chris) and Rose are running to the London Eye (a track known as Westminster Bridge).
I'm just making my way through Series 5 and it's so mind-numbingly still and quiet that I'll never dislike the Series 6+ incidental music. The only repeated criticism I've seen of it seems to be the fallacy that it "gives away when a Dungeoneer is about to die" which is just completely wrong. Whilst it is used in most deaths, it is FAR from used on only those occasions. More often than not it is actually used when Dungeoneers escape death, thus it really does achieve its goal of adding tension because when it starts, you know the Dungoneer is in peril but you genuinely have no idea whether they're about to die or not. Of course, you could say that this is also the case with no music at all, except that at least the music adds atmosphere and removes that awful clinicial TV studio-set silence.