Series 3 - Episode 8

Pooka
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re: The left path

Post by Pooka »

I don't think it was THAT unfair... not to say I don't think it was unfair. A sidestep to the left could've spelled his safety there. However, that platform was sidewards on - how were we supposed to know what was safe and what was not?

Maybe an oversight on the production team's part, I doubt we'll ever know.

Or maybe they just didn't have any trophies left over and had to hold off winners until they'd minted some more... ;)
Pooka - teacher, writer, comedian, musician, geek, and full-time Knightmarian.
KaM
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by KaM »

The ledge of Ross' death was particularly momentous in my KM viewing, because it's the earliest death, that, before I came across S3 again, I could vividly remember (tender age of 5). I agree that I don't think it particularly savage - the causeways in later years and the fire-chambers required some shrewd direction, and, nearly making it through, team 6 showed that it wasn't impossible - just a bit of panic I assume led them to go on a little further. Looking at the room closely, I think it's just about clear to see the pathway move further away - that is, requiring the dungeoneer to move to his left before the exit.

I don't blame the team for choosing left. If I remember rightly, various hauntings appeared rather quickly and shepherded them to lead Ross to the left, as the right hand side of the room was quickly guarded. There's also no way of knowing whether they would have been met the same chamber had they taken the right hand door - since Morgahnna was present and obviously expecting them.

A further point is that with the relative, and often brilliant 'severity' of series 3 - killing off teams who showed any sign of incompetence in level 1, if they didn't expect many teams to reach level 3, and had this wonderfully created narrow ledge cavern to use, it certainly would have been a shame not to have seen it at all. Not impossible, and so well valid.. and certainly memorable.
Knightmarian. alphavillean. Marvellian.
Purgatory
Knight
Knight

Post by Purgatory »

i keep thinking what Mogdred was up to, it's a pitty we didn't see anymore to find out.
My life is an endless purgatory interruped by profound moments of misery
Kawaii_Catgirl
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by Kawaii_Catgirl »

If the advisors talk for too long and can't decide (or start an argument with eachother!) the extrenuous material is cut in post-production to keep the length of each show the same.
"When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice."
KaM
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by KaM »

Nods. Absolutely.

For keeping show length the same - they would otherwise have timed out earlier, I would have thought - but, certainly, there's a poise on the balance of advisors' communications. Viewers watch it for the action, and not so much the arguments, so it's always been in best interests to trim any surplus talking down.
Kawaii_Catgirl
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by Kawaii_Catgirl »

The teams don't "time out" at all during recording - for all intents and purposes, they have a continuous quest with no breaks aside from those needed to set up new rooms. The beginning and ending bits are recorded later and edited in. That's why the advisors are always pointing at the screen or talking amongst themselves, when they freeze, instead of just waiting for the freeze to occur.
"When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice."
KaM
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by KaM »

:)
I know - just really did not explain myself well - my way with words is lost this week. I can't even face trying to concoct what I was thinking before - altho I think it might have been valid - or even not. The thought of teams 'timing out' during the filming is quite absurd really.  :D Promise that wasn't what I meant.
The only way to accommodate more footage (i.e. advisors' arguments and discussions), and keep programme length the same would have been to summount extra episodes, which was not possible. Thus, editing must have had to truncate the footage as neatly as possible to allow scheduling. I think that's slightly more on-cue - I'll edit it if I wake up soon and read my rubbish.  :)
Kawaii_Catgirl
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by Kawaii_Catgirl »

Ja, that made more sense... Sorry about the really long explanation, but I like explaining stuff.
Tom41
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Series 3 Episode 8

Post by Tom41 »

Began on the Spindizzy this episode. I wonder how they get the dungeoneer set up for the spindizzy - place him on the centre and then start it rotating? Also, the spindizzy is clearly not blue, so why don't they ask the dungeoneer if they could see the edge of the disc before making him jump off?

Encountered the raven thing again, and he gave the 3rd 'step' clue. Only gave it once though, so had to listen carefully at all times!

Two skulls usually haunt the Corridor of Spears in this series, but rarely harm the dungeoneer. I wonder if they added the skulls in this room to give more of a challenge?

Nearly stepped off the edge in Merlin's room before invoking the 2nd step! Got a bit stuck on the 3rd step though, having to figure out how to invoke 'crown' - eventually had to mime putting it on!
I liked Merlin sleeping when he appeared, and having to be awakened by treguard!
Merlin used a VIM spell to restore the life force. Probably good to use such a short spell, given how long it takes him to spellcast!

Almost went left in the goblin-infested Corridor of Catacombs, but managed to take the right door in the end. Then used the TWIST spell to turn some upside-down doors the correct way round. Notice that only the 3 end doors twist, not the whole room.
Then encountered McGrew who tried to attack them, but a bit of swift-talking saved them and McGrew came with the dungeoneer.

Small glitch in the videotape on the bridge scene. They encountered Mogdred (who was dressed as a hooded monk), and he put a TOAD spell on McGrew! The team had to disspell it, and McGrew became their friend after that.

Is it just me, or did McGrew nearly walk off the edge of the cave (where a dungeoneer fell once) when fighting off the bats? In the next bit of cave, collected a food item and a letter F, while McGrew fought off a magic sword ;)
Next part of the cavern, the magic sword returned as well as a goblin hunting party! McGrew fought off the sword then guided them out fairly quickly!

Unusually, a force field was visible over the door of the mine cart room. I liked how they tried to ask McGrew to push him, and McGrew thought he just wanted a push by himself (not the mine cart). Finally managed to get in the mine cart and through the force field, and after a bumpy ride, into Level 3!

They decided to take the left door because there was a trail of bones leading to the right door! However, that might have been their downfall - they got into a room which seemed almost impossible to get across, especially with a magic axe!
Might have been okay in the French or Spanish episodes, where the dungeoneer could just be 'replaced' in the next room, but here they walked off the bridge and died!
I still think they could have got across by lining him up properly before going forward.

Oh no, timed out just as the next team was rolling the dice!
One day you say "Enter Stranger" and big goblin comes in!
HarveyTowers
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Re:Series 3 Episode 8

Post by HarveyTowers »

Started on the spindizzy and went for the door with Melly over it. I think they hit the floor, but were let off.

The raven began to insult us all and they tried to take steps by offering a handshake to it.

Through the Corridor of Spears to Merlin where they took steps and scored 2/2. Liked the knightcap.

Used the TWIST spell they earned to bring the doors in the next room down to the floor, not that the side ones
stayed on the ceiling.

MacGrew appeared and began to guide them. They met Mogdred dressed a Cedric or at least some monk.

Turned MacGrew into a TOAD but they dispelled.

MacGrew couldnay fin the way oot, bu the did find the team the F and some food. Liked the way MacGrew
had to fight off the Sword. Don't think he was supposed to get off the wrong side!

Past goblins before our second minecart sequence and second glimpse of level 3.

First spotting of Morganna. An axe appeared which chased the team across a narrow ledge. This was a bit
harsh, as far as I could see they were on the path.

I missed if this team were DISMISSed or UNITEd? But
seen as they got to level 3 DISMISSal would be harsh.

The new team had the rare honour of appearing on the credits.
Good night out there; whatever you are!
Dan
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Dan »

Harvey Towers wrote:This was a bit
harsh, as far as I could see they were on the path.
Yeah, I always think that too whenever I see this episode. A cruel ending indeed, and I wish they'd had a chance to get further because I'm sure they could've won. Perhaps that would've been unfair to the other dungeoneers in this series whose teams were much better, though.
Billy
Knight
Knight

Post by Billy »

I'll repost my thoughts about this team's death from an older post I made:
BillyH wrote: Ross's team made one crucial mistake at the end, which definately contributed to their downfall (geddit?)- When the magic axe appeared, instead of guiding Ross across the ledge as quickly as possible, they just sat there for 20 seconds thinking what to do! By the time they started moving, the axe was much closer to Ross that if they'd got a move on earlier, which caused the team to panic a bit, and forget to tell Ross to stop in front of the door until it was too late. Still, they did well!
I loved the transparent life force animation (without the red background), and Treguard's line in the dice room: "Life is not all braun and Broadsword"!
An episode thread was created for this episode on it's original Challenge transmission, but it crosses over into Episodes 9 and 10.
123Pooka
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by 123Pooka »

Tom41 wrote: They decided to take the left door because there was a trail of bones leading to the right door! However, that might have been their downfall - they got into a room which seemed almost impossible to get across, especially with a magic axe!
I agree, this might well have been their mistake. As far as I am aware, the right hand path is always wisest unless told otherwise. This was a deadly difficult chamber to deal with, and one even the likes of Leo might have found tricky. Morghanna's cruel intimidation is not gonna help young teams either. A classic lead into their demise, I thought this was perhaps one of the best Km scenes ever.

I also enjoyed watching Mcgrew's role in this quest. His constant panicking and sword slashing was a good laugh. He does have an uncanny resemblance to John rhys-davies sometimes.

Kelly's next for the dungeon, and the episode ended as the dice rolled for her quest.
The only way is onward, there is no turning back. Oooh nasty, didn't realise the road ended there!
TheBrollachan
Knight
Knight

Post by TheBrollachan »

I'm sure there is a caption in the picture used for the credits.
Twitter: https://twitter.com/SmokeHits
Keeper of the original modellers' cast of the Brollachan.
Canadanne
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re: Series 3 - Episode 8

Post by Canadanne »

When guiding him away from the goblins, does McGrew say "Onto the tape, Ross"? What does that mean? The only explanation that springs to mind seems very unlikely.