Best Series

Series, Teams, History, Behind the scenes etc. - all discussed here.
Pooka
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re:Best Series

Post by Pooka »

I think Series 6 was excellent, very haunting and had a genuinely dangerous feeling in it which was lacking in S4 and 5.

I didn't like 4 or 5 - although 5 was my first series and got me hooked, and it had lots of good characters in it, I suppose. 4 was just so repetitive - seen one quest: seen 'em all.

I liked 7, not sure why - I just did - probably because of Julie and Barry - and I really liked 8. I think the only problem with 8 was the fact that it was too short and a lot of quests needed to be sped up or killed off quickly in order to fit them all in. But I liked it. The CGI-type changes were a little skewed, but with the advance of the technology at the time, who can blame them for trying things out?

Which leaves me with the first three. Now, Series 3 is really good, but I've seen it all so many times it's getting boring - I prefer watching series I haven't seen for a long time so I'm not quite sure what's coming up next! Series 2 is perhaps the most underrated series, because it's as good as 3 (IMO) and not given the recognition it deserves.

And Series 1 - slightly repetitive (although not as much so as 4), so somewhat boring in some respects. Although you have to like Series 1 - after all - it started everything!
Pooka - teacher, writer, comedian, musician, geek, and full-time Knightmarian.
123Pooka
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by 123Pooka »

My opinion on best series I always find hard, but here is how i would rate my top three

1) Series 3
Most would seem to agree, it has everything a knightmare fan could dream of (except of course the corridor of blades). All the characters in this series provide convincing oscar winning performances. The fact no one won gives this series the undefeated element which is quite unique. There were some very memorable moments, and some brilliant nail biting quests. I think Leo's quest is possibly my favourite of all time. Almost a shame only three teams reached level three as it was thrilling to watch when they did.

2) Series 7
Probably a very controversial choice- but series 7 was exciting and, and although level one was far easier than it should have been, i still love this series for things such as the rift of angar, play your cards right and bulstrow the troll. I remember series 7 well from when I first watched it (so i'm a bit biased), and I don't think I've ever been so glued to a tv programme before! Riveting stuff.

3) Series 2
Fast paced, action packed, sometimes averaged a death an episode. What more can you want? ;)
The only way is onward, there is no turning back. Oooh nasty, didn't realise the road ended there!
me
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by me »

Series 3 was hardest and my favourite. I hated s1&s8 as they were too short and depressing.
Also, i think the dungeon got a lot EASIER from s5 onwards.

8.S8
7.S1
6.S7
5.S4
4.S2
3.S5
2.S6
1.S3
andrewbuckley
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by andrewbuckley »

Ah, it's the series that introduced me to Knightmare for me, series 2, closely followed by 3, then 6, 4,5,7,1,8. Series 2 and 3 taken together are kind of a golden age, but I see why it had to expand. I'd actually forgotten how much I loved series 2 till I got hold of the videos again in 1999. And now it's all constantly on Challenge. Hurrah!!!
s4t8brett
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Re: Best Series

Post by s4t8brett »

I would say, out of the first three (hand-drawn chamber) series, Series 3 was the best as it was the culmination of them, so I'm going to eliminate series 1 and 2.

However, I liked the way the game evolved in a gradual manner during those series, because it made the show seem familiar - as if you understood it well.

I also like the way you can fairly easily watch the pre-Spy Glass series (1-4) and generally know what the challenges are, without having to keep track of the clues and stories as they built up, as they were more localised.

Out of the Eye-shield-series-in-the-UK, namely series 4-6, Series 6 apparently had the highest viewing figures of any series at the original time of transmission and seems most cinematic of 4-6, although the gameplay has changed significantly from Series 3 and the dreadnort (a robot) seems anachronistic. The Lord Fear Spyglass seequences were overused in my opinion and I would have preferred a replacement wizard to Mogdred.

In series 7 and 8 we see the use of Eye-shield sequences in Spain rather than the UK, and the introduction of computer-generated chambers. For these reasons, I personally eliminate series 7-8 from being the best or most classic.

That leaves us with the range of series 3-6. Series 4 is interesting (despite the relative lack of variety between quests and the over-done discoloration in some places) because - in many ways - it is as if Series 3 has been projected into the outdoors, particularly with some of the characters (e.g. Motley now has an inn, and more authentic audience, for his entertainment; and Ariadne has her lair in the forest clearings). Yet it is also balanced in that it comprises 1) hand-drawn scenes by David Rowe (e.g. the Place of Choice, the exterior to the Crazed Heifer, the Bridge of Decision, the Transporter Pad Room), 2) Eye shield sequences in the UK, and 3) Computer-generated chambers (such as the Block and Tackle and the Corridor of Blades).

Series 3, if you prefer how it started (it does have the outdoors in a way and could even have incorporated some Series 4 outdoors scenes without the Eye Shield).

Series 4, taking Series 3 into the outdoors as an all-rounder that sums up Knightmare very well.

Series 6, visually very good and an understandable choice if you like the Lord Fear era.

For me, series 4 followed by series 6 and then series 3. But all of them have their sunshine and shade.
Picklemyfav
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Picklemyfav »

i loved all of them........ so to me they were all the best for different reasons......... :D
Cedric kneed down close to my helmet so i could see him and told me.
"You're not witless. You're just nice. Too nice really for your own good. That's your main problem."
DuxBellorum
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by DuxBellorum »

It's hard to pick one series as there is so much to love about all of them!

Series 3 would probably be my pick. The introductions of Hordriss and the Goblins were fantastic additions and I loved the mine carts between levels 2 & 3.

Series 3 had the most atmosphere and is the most quintessentially Knightmare series of them all.

Of course we lost Cedric and Gumboil, but alas...

I'd say that Knightmare was at it's peak between series 3-6.

Series 7 was a slight step back for me, though I loved the additions of Lissard, Grimaldine, The Brollachan and of course Majida ;) :P

But series 3 was when Knightmare really hit it's stride and if I was to pick a series to introduce somebody to Knightmare then this would be the one.
EvelynMason
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by EvelynMason »

Other than chosen clips from Youtube, have not viewed the original series in 'proper format' i.e. on a TV broadcast, since the original run in the early 1990's. By this I mean the latter series of the program, from 4 and beyond for example.

Therefore it's (often) awkward on specific areas of the program to make comment as others will possess a far more extensive knowledge having taking in shows more recently and in their entirety. Point I wanted to make was that from all collective viewing I could at this moment ascertain, I did like the earliest of the shows as they had some characters that at the time did provide genuine fear but as the years went by, the Series got a little too advanced and the technology of the day maybe caused override on the supposed fundamentals of the show. True by the mid-point of the Knightmare series, there were a lot of new characters and situations to indulge, but looking back now I never really took to Lord Fear as one example, or Treguards shift from an impartial observer, to one that frequently aided the team and applauded every mistake or setback the opposition would incur.

Obviously the different quest objectives they eventually brought to the show rather than just one prize goal from Series 1 was a nice touch but in truth, until somebody can provide that much needed DVD set to take in ALL that occurred, it's once again awkward to speak out on an issue such as this.

Say one thing, whatever series the Corridor of Blades was introduced, I'm prepared to vote on that as being a favourite set of episodes, easily one of the best and enthralling set-ups of the entire franchise. Not to mention the "outdoor" scenes, where the dungeoneer could venture into Forest glades and Castle ruins for examples, (where wolf howls and other sinister sounds could be heard), god forbid the Series had run for the entire duration where the team were restricted to the interior of the dungeon and it's interior.
s4t8brett
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by s4t8brett »

Thanks Evelyn. That's kinda how I see it, too. Knightmare didn't evince credibility on a large-scale good vs opposition war. The dragon flights and spyglass sequences were easy to produce but passive TV, and Lord Fear spoiled Knightmare for me. There were other ways teams could gain insights into the opposition other than the spyglass; such as by disclosure from other characters. And that's why series 4 was, on reflection, so good: small-scale but featuring the outdoors, a projection of series 3 into the forest.
DoyleSa

Post by DoyleSa »

Season 1 because it started it all off. I also like season 3.
wombstar
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by wombstar »

Series 2. it's pure Knightmare, without the bells and whistles.

Series 4 was when i started watching the show back in the day, but it's also my least favourite series, a bit too repetitive, no just in locations but in dialog, and those annoying doors.. .yikes.

But i loved series 5 on wards, i even like the digital locations of series 8.. but i hated the wand.
It's always the cracked ones that let the light in
DuxBellorum
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by DuxBellorum »

Yes, the 'Reach' Wand was a strange thing about series 8.

A fair enough idea in principle, but didn't seem to work very well in practice.

It just didn't seem to fit in, at least not in my view.

One thing I did love about Series 8 however was a return, albeit an updated return to the dungeon and individual chambers/rooms of the early series and I really enjoyed the new Opposition characters.

Maldame and Bartram could have come straight from series 3!
wombstar
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by wombstar »

Reach wand might have worked better if it was more like a laser pen/pointer properly controlled by the dungeonner
It's always the cracked ones that let the light in