The Goblins

Series, Teams, History, Behind the scenes etc. - all discussed here.
Emii
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re: The Goblins

Post by Emii »

Side note: (in case this hasn't come up already) Rayner Bourton, the actor who played Skarkill and Julius Scaramonger, was also in the original 1973 production of The Rocky Horror Show. He played Rocky. I'm not sure whether I should be disturbed or not...
I'm really frightened...

Seriously...
"The alarm, Master! The opposition's tracked them! Oh good grief...look - Lord Fear's frozen Christopher!"
Picklemyfav
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Picklemyfav »

I like the goblins. I think they are cool villains. So much so i am making a goblin costume for halloween. Yes i know its a bit early.
I would like some tips on the costume and advice on how the hands look as i might have to make them myself. I have made the mask from a human face mask, paper mache and acrylic paint and am slowly getting the stuff together to make the costume.
Have just started making the club from sticks and parcel tape. Will be putting masking tape on it to paint it brown and finish it off.
The hands i think will be tricky to get/make. Would green shrek hands or brown giant hands work for it or do i need to get a pair of washing up gloves, false nails and some liquid latex and do it myself?
Have been watching clips of goblins and looking at pictures of them to see what they wear.
Cedric kneed down close to my helmet so i could see him and told me.
"You're not witless. You're just nice. Too nice really for your own good. That's your main problem."
Mashibinbin
Staff
Staff

Post by Mashibinbin »

Make sure you send us photographic results of your endeavours! 8)

In terms of hands, mostly from my experience filthy make up mix of green and brown would suffice. The face tho will be a good challenge to achieve right.
Fidjit
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Fidjit »

Yeah that'll be quite intriguing to see :)
If the only way is onward how would you get home for tea?? :-/
Picklemyfav
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Picklemyfav »

Will do. Will do so as soon as i can.
Will ask one of the bosses of the forum to put the photos up onto the website as that might be easier to do than posting pictures on the forum.
As i haven't figured out how to post photos on the forum yet. :) Still working that out. ;D
That's why i've described what i've done so far. What i want to do is show it off like a mum or grandmother shows off her new born offspring or grandchildren to her visitors. As i am very chuffed with it so far.
CCCCCAAAAAAANNNNNN'TTTTTT WWWWWWAAAAAIIIIITTTTT FFFFFOOOOOOORRRR HALLLLOOOOOWWWWEEEEENNN.

I'm excited. I'm so excited. :D :exclaim: ;)
"You're not witless. You're just nice. Too nice really for your own good. That's your main problem."
Picklemyfav
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Picklemyfav »

Painted it [the club] in the pub last week.
Been working on the hood for the goblin costume all week.

How do you use this [ ] ??? to put pictures on as i can't get it working yet. Says you need to put http on it. Which as the pictures are not online and on my computer causes a headache. Would it be easier to share the pictures if i made a blog page somewhere and linked that to here? ???

Just put some pictures of the mask and club on my computer and wanted to show them to you.

Still need to touch the club up in places.... with paint of course...... lol. ;D
Picklemyfav
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Picklemyfav »

This is the picture that i have been using to make the goblin face mask. Also I am using it to make the hood as well. From the video footage I see the goblins have a dress like tunic and a.... green top? The dress i seen in the charity shop on saturday is a dark brownly green and would go well with a light green top and stone coloured trousers that i also seen in the same shop. The colours are faded on the top and trousers. Would that work for goblin clothes?
Keep looking at him. Keep looking. Imagine that he's standing right in front of you........ saying trick or treat..... Are you Scared yet?
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by Drassil »

Picklemyfav wrote:Keep looking at him. Keep looking. Imagine that he's standing right in front of you........
Or 'she'. Did you know that the goblins were played by women? Tim Child revealed it in an interview. One of them came to the Knightmare Convention.
Picklemyfav
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Picklemyfav »

Or 'she'. Did you know that the goblins were played by women? Tim Child revealed it in an interview. One of them came to the Knightmare Convention.
WWWWWWOOOWW. :D 8) Didn't know that. Thought it was young kid dancers that played them.

Can you tell male and female goblins apart by looking at them? ??? If there is a difference i mean.

The goblins in the youtube special of Knightmare seem different to the original ones. Think they are either different species or one of the types of goblins is the baby/young version of the other fully grown adult version. Think original goblin is the young not quite full grown version as the youtube one looks more adult to me with what i think are red marks on its face near its eyes. Looks like an adult to me.
EvelynMason
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by EvelynMason »

I haven't seen enough of beyond Series 3 or 4 for a (very) long time so can't recall if the Goblins featured so regularly as they did in the formative years of the series. As for being played by us 'girls', who would have thought it ? 8-o

I think what we have here is a rare case of where the sounds of character are more intimidating than the appearance. Whenever I hear the goblin horn you get a sense of uneasiness and danger is never far away, but once they appear on screen they all look a bit silly and don't really present any real threat ?

From what I can recall they are (or were) invariably accompanied by some blundering incompetent character or adversary, which I think didn't present them as malicious as (which) was intended.
Fidjit
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Fidjit »

EvelynMason wrote:...played by us 'girls'
OooooooOOOOOoooooh!!! ;D

I didn't find the goblins much of a threat to be honest. Specially when you get warriors like McGrew who was afraid of them makes him look pathetic.

"Hey McGrew, they stand three foot four and their primary method of attack is to run at you with sticks. I'M PRETTY SURE YOU CAN TAKE THEM!!!"
Pooka
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Pooka »

Picklemyfav wrote:The goblins in the youtube special of Knightmare seem different to the original ones ... the youtube one looks more adult to me with what i think are red marks on its face near its eyes. Looks like an adult to me.
Judging by the conversation between Lord Fear and Lissard, just before the goblin appears, I assume that this is an appearance of Garstang, who's actually an orc. He appeared as the 'host' for KMVR, voiced by Tim Child, and then appeared in KMGW, played by Ben Child (I believe...) as a pursuing adversary á la the original goblins.

It's a different character of a different race played by a different actor, that's probably why he looked different!
Fidjit wrote:I didn't find the goblins much of a threat to be honest. Specially when you get warriors like McGrew who was afraid of them makes him look pathetic.
Yes, I was confused as to why McGrew was so afraid of them, when he managed to battle a floating spectral sword in the minecart room without so much as batting an eyelid!

I wouldn't say they weren't really a threat, though - they did kill one dungeoneer; that's more than characters like Hordriss, Raptor, Snapper-Jack or McGrew himself managed to do! A genuine and credible threat in Series 3, at least!
Pooka - teacher, writer, comedian, musician, geek, and full-time Knightmarian.
Fidjit
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Fidjit »

In Baldur's Gate terms the goblins should be been pretty darn easy for McGrew to deal with. And although Julie was kind of handed to them on a silver plate, a kill is a kill I suppose :)
Picklemyfav
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Picklemyfav »

Post by Pooka » Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:51 pm Judging by the conversation between Lord Fear and Lissard, just before the goblin appears, I assume that this is an appearance of Garstang, who's actually an orc. He appeared as the 'host' for KMVR, voiced by Tim Child, and then appeared in KMGW, played by Ben Child (I believe...) as a pursuing adversary á la the original goblins.

It's a different character of a different race played by a different actor, that's probably why he looked different!
AAAAHHHHHHH!...... so that's an orc....... So not a goblin as i thought it was after all.

I think the creator of Knightmare needs to write a book [like a fact book] about all the different creatures in Knightmare ....e.g. behaviour, culture,what they eat, e.t.c. . :exclaim: :idea:
Then we can go creature spotting. lol. ;D
Picklemyfav
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Picklemyfav »

Fidjit wrote:
EvelynMason wrote:...played by us 'girls'
OooooooOOOOOoooooh!!! ;D

I didn't find the goblins much of a threat to be honest. Specially when you get warriors like McGrew who was afraid of them makes him look pathetic.

"Hey McGrew, they stand three foot four and their primary method of attack is to run at you with sticks. I'M PRETTY SURE YOU CAN TAKE THEM!!!"
I thought they were about five foot. but most kids are taller then me. lol. ;D

Better not show McGrew my halloween costume or this will happen. lol. ;D

Hey McGrew do you like my halloween costume?
Dresses up as Goblin and shows McGrew.
McGrew screams like a small girl and runs away head first into a real Goblin. [not part of the plan]
McGrew screams again and runs the other way bumping into a sticky web.
McGrew cuts his way out of the web just as Skarkill turns up with his Goblins.
McGrew faints at the sight of the Goblins as i change back into my normal clothes. I plan to show Skarkill later.
Skarkill and the Goblins take McGrew prisoner. I facepalm my hand on my face as that was really not part of the plan and decide to get help to rescue McGrew.
I rescue McGrew in my Goblin costume as it was the best way to enter Lord Fear's lair without being caught.
McGrew freaks out at the sight of the Goblin and ends up running away and falls down an hole and has a chat with Simon.
Turns out McGrew has Goblin Phobia. ;D