Series 5 Episode 1

stevendoig
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Re: Series 5 Episode 1

Post by stevendoig »

Just watched this with my 4 yr old. A few thoughts/observations.

My son was getting very bored - that's a first! - the Smirkenoff scene was far too long, there were far too many eyeshield scenes and the Julius scene went on forever!!

Looking at a previous post they mention how one of the advisors has never seen Knightmare before..... I could almost believe NONE of this team have, their ignorance was staggering - I've also never seen such a bored looking team, did they just grab them off the street?

Sylvester Hands didn't sound or look very much like himself.

Level 1 was far too easy, the only challenge was getting one question right - which they did....

I liked Treguards intro outside the castle.

Hope episode 2 is a bit more exciting
pjmlfc05
Knight
Knight

Post by pjmlfc05 »

I did feel Series 5 took a while to get going but it does turn out good! The interaction between Pickle and Treguard gets better too I feel.
The only way is onward, there is no turning back.
EvelynMason
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by EvelynMason »

Series 5 ? Has there been an episode this week ? Last I saw they were at the end of Series 4 last Sunday and don't believe there's been another episode broadcast in the time since ?

I'm referring of course to the Challenge re-runs, but seems unlikely such as one episode follows the other.

It would be disappointing to learn I've missed out on an episode I didn't realise had been shown but there will be other opportunities to catch up.
Canadanne
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Canadanne »

EvelynMason wrote:Series 5 ? Has there been an episode this week ?
No, Challenge doesn't have the rights to Series 5 at the moment.
EvelynMason
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by EvelynMason »

Canadanne wrote:
EvelynMason wrote:Series 5 ? Has there been an episode this week ?
No, Challenge doesn't have the rights to Series 5 at the moment.
Well that is a relief, I genuinely thought I'd missed out on episode since last viewing.

If Challenge doesn't possess the rights to show as mentioned, then looks like we'll have a wait until the next episodes are broadcast. :'( I do hope it isn't too long before they put them on again (preferably a channel that shows them every day of the week would be ideal but of course that simply isn't going to happen)

This just emphasises the importance of bringing the series to DVD home viewing. (Youtube is always available but not advised on a pay as you go basis) Add to that, the picture / audio quality is sometimes sub-standard (when watching Youtube clips of the series)
stevendoig
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by stevendoig »

Sorry, we did watch it on You Tube! We have watched what is available on Sky at the moment i.e - 2/3 of season 3 and halfof season 4.

I would buy a DVD release in a heartbeat! I hate watching you tube but the boy wanted more Knightmare!!!
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by Drassil »

On this first flight for Smirkenorff (here's an official clip), perhaps the saddle hasn't been properly adjusted as Kathryn slides about a bit during the landing...

The middle advisor Fay Keenan is now a successful author. Here's her website. In an old tweet about Knightmare, Fay refers to 'outtakes galore'.

Canadanne wrote: 25 Jan 2013, 19:58 I have never been able to make out what Pickle exclaims when they first see Lord Fear through the spyglass. Does anyone know?

My best guess is that he's using "blood oath" as a mild expletive.

stevendoig wrote: 25 Feb 2016, 19:14 I've also never seen such a bored looking team

In judging contestants on how they appear on screen, we should never underestimate the rigours of drawn-out, stop-start filming and being away from home. While the 'roll out' of so many new elements may have been enthralling for us watchers, for the team it meant questing at its most passive: an entire level with no clue object choices, no portal choices, no puzzles and just one riddle. I doubt the team would have been expecting that, so I can forgive them if (in other people's opinions) they don't look as engaged as other teams.
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by Drassil »

To mark the return of horseracing and outdoor markets this week, an observation: Sir Hugh and Neddy appear in the background when Team 1 visits Wolfenden.

Wolfenden Series 5 Quest 1.jpg
Wolfenden Series 5 Quest 1.jpg (170.98 KiB) Viewed 6140 times

Official clip

This means that the first Mark Knight character to appear in Knightmare was not Lord Fear, even if the rider wasn't Mark Knight himself.
Mashibinbin
Staff
Staff

Post by Mashibinbin »

Blimey, looking at it, that scene probably features more background characters than the Crazed Heifer pre lockdown!
Morghanna
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Morghanna »

A nice intro to the series, with Treguard standing outside.

Like the way teams now have to choose their quest in advance and the eye-shield is given out during the intro, to save time
Team 1 looked very smart in their matching outfits. 8) (the bee team) I reckon that this is what S2 team 3 were trying for, but one lad must have forgotten his yellow shirt. ;D

The actual quest had a slow start. Took forever to get on the dragon, then the flight seemed to be very long.
Finally encountered Brother Mace playing cards with a new character, the shifty Sylvester Hands. (Great to see Mace again. :))
Accepted some gold from Mace to take to a bloke called Julius Scaramonger, whom they soon found. He turned out to be a very slippery, smarmy character. They received a spyglass, which they used to see the new villain: Lord Fear. The first sign of a massive change in plotlines.
Into the forest and they met Gwendoline, a stroppy greenwood guard, who is a menace with her bow&arrows. Earned a password from her.
First sighting of the blocker walls, which looked a bit like like 3-d wall monsters. Used the password to get by it.

Into a descender to level 2, where they took the left-hand door to avoid a fright-knight symbol.
Encountered Hordriss as time-out arrived. (Nice to see another familiar face return. :))
"I think it's about time you got wise to the ways of real magic. The kind that is borne on the dark side." >:D