ROBOT WARS

Disucssion of topics that are not directly related to Knightmare.
phillwin
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

ROBOT WARS

Post by phillwin »

I miss that show as much as km so what your fave robort I like hpyno disc razor and the one that kept catching fire
:green:
dezombiedungeoneer78

Re: ROBOT WARS

Post by dezombiedungeoneer78 »

You mean diotoir?
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

I got fed up of Robot Wars after <checks> the fourth series.

I was a big fan of Rex Garrod. For those of you who don't know, he's basically the engineer behind Brum, is involved in a great deal of robotic systems for TV shows and happened to enter Robot Wars between series 1 and 3. I met him once a long time ago, and he's one of the most charming and sporting people I've ever met. He was well known on Robot Wars for refusing to attack another player's robot if they became immobilised, helping his opponents to fix and repair their robots, and refusing to attack robots built by kids.

He also had the advantage of being one of the very few people who actually built innovative robots.

Anyway, in series 3, there was a technical issue regarding his robot. As I recall, the health and safety folk refused to allow him to fill the gas canister that powered his robot's flipper due to spurious safety concerns. It basically meant that he was able to fire his weapon once or twice before it died. He got knocked out early as a result. This, in combination with the fact that there was limited health and safety in respect of real health and safety concerns caused him to walk away from Robot Wars.

The rules of Robot Wars are pretty harsh. There are all kinds of restrictions on what your robot can do (ironically, every single house robot breaks at least one rule, which has always made me question exactly why the rules are as they are). Nevertheless, as a result of these limitations, innovators were essential and with one of the real innovating contestants having left, the show became too repetitive for me and I stopped watching.

Will I watch the new series? For me, it depends on whether we're likely to see innovation or just yet another Hypno-Disc knockoff.

End of rant.
Pooka
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Pooka »

dezombiedungeoneer78 wrote:You mean diotoir?
It could have been Nemesis. I believe Diótór was billed as "son of Nemesis" - they both had the spotty pink fur and both got set on fire by Sgt Bash...
Mystara wrote:I was a big fan of Rex Garrod. For those of you who don't know, he's basically the engineer behind Brum, is involved in a great deal of robotic systems for TV shows and happened to enter Robot Wars between series 1 and 3.
Did he build Cassius? I believe so - he was credited for inventing the SRIMECH (self-righting mechanism) and used it a couple of times (it was used, again, by Chaos 2 for greater effect), and he lost out to Panic Attack in the Series 2 final (although it was claimed by some at the time that he deliberately drove backwards into a pit as he knew they were playing for charity - I'm inclined to believe so!).

I think that was him, anyway!

I don't know if I'll watch the new series. I may give it a try, but I'm not sure the format would hold up in 2016 after such a long time away!

My favourite robot was Wheelosaurus. The older gentleman who built it may not even be with us any more. That thought makes me sad.
Pooka - teacher, writer, comedian, musician, geek, and full-time Knightmarian.
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

Pooka wrote:Did he build Cassius?
yes
Gretel
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Gretel »

I loved the House Robots...

Matilda was a fave.
"you should be able to hear from my voice that I'm terribly pretty, now DO you think I'm pretty?"
Pooka
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Pooka »

Have just watched the first episode of the new series and found it thoroughly entertaining. While I miss Craig Charles, Dara is a fine host, and I quite like the female co-host too (her name escapes me right now). Good to hear Jonathan Pierce doing the commentary too - he makes the show.

Quite a good format although I miss the challenges that aren't just battles. Incredibly souped-up robots, considering the developments over the past 12 years, but there's certainly lots of aggression there, and some major damage!

High points for me included Razor going into the pit, a shard of metal flying towards Dara and crashing against the window, all the battles involving the eventual winner, and the team from Nuts. I also really like the fact that the house robots didn't leave the CPZ, either - I think that, when they roamed free, it made the game far too hard. Better that they got involved when the battling robots were actually in their CPZ.

Good stuff and I'll certainly continue watching!
JamesA
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by JamesA »

Pooka wrote:I quite like the female co-host too (her name escapes me right now).
Angela Scanlon.
James Aukett
Creator of the Knightmare: 25th Anniversary Documentary
wombstar
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by wombstar »

I just caught up with the new revival and it was pretty good, the new format works well and i liked the fact they didn't spice things up for telly, meaning if the robot isn't fixed in time tough , if it failed withing 30 seconds then that's how it is. (unlike previously versions)

Not sure if the rules have changed on what you can build, you'll probably see my brother on their next series.
It's always the cracked ones that let the light in
Pooka
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Pooka »

Well, I just watched the grand final and it was exhilarating, with a worthy winner.

I seriously hope it gets picked up for another series: it's good, no-nonsense telly.