Looking for episode where someone falls off bridge into lava

Posts by cast, crew and contestants
lavamonster
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Looking for episode where someone falls off bridge into lava

Post by lavamonster »

As title: does anyone know which episode someone is on a bridge and they somehow fall off into a lava river to their death? Thanks!
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re: Looking for episode where someone falls off bridge into

Post by HStorm »

Off the top of my head, I don't think that ever happened. You may be confusing memories of Gavin at the start of season 3, who stepped off a pathway and 'drowned' in quicksand, and Ross from team 6 in the same season, who fell off a narrow bridge over a bottomless pit.
Knightmare Audio Plays from The Dunshelm Players.
Canadanne
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Canadanne »

The only time I can remember seeing a bridge over lava is in Series 1 episode 6 (first room of Richard's quest), but they didn't fall off it.
lavamonster
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by lavamonster »

Hmm. The plot thickens. I had hoped it was Knightmare and not this...:

There is a chance that this scene from was a different series then. At the risk of going slightly off topic, I think it was a series with Sylvester Mccoy in front of a big video screen in a studio and he showed a boy falling to his death of a bridge into some lava. It was in the late 80s. Anyone have any clue?

Apologies if going off topic is against the rules... it was originally a Knightmare question at least. ;-)
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by HStorm »

Jigsaw, maybe?
Canadanne
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Canadanne »

UKGameshows.com says Sylvester McCoy also hosted Starstrider in the '80s, but I haven't seen it so don't know if that could be it.
HobGoblin
Staff
Staff

Post by HobGoblin »

Interestingly, the Wikipedia entry for Starstrider describes a pre-Knightmare blind man's bluff style 'light maze' round.

McCoy also hosted a kids tv show called What's Your Story? In which viewers phoned in plot suggestions. I can't remember if lava was involved though!
Extreme warning team, a Hobgoblin in the level!
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by HStorm »

McCoy was also a semi-regular on Eureka, which was a sort of cross between Tomorrow's World and a Krankies-style sketch show. He often had to dress up in that, as I remember, so that's possible.
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re: Looking for episode where someone falls off bridge into lava

Post by HStorm »

An episode of Starstrider can be seen here: https://youtu.be/zgGT_gKuakM.

Funnily enough, I had no memory of it when Canadanne mentioned it earlier, but I do now dimly remember watching a few episodes of it. At the time, I associated McCoy only with Tiswas and Jigsaw, so it had to be before he became the 7th Doctor, although I didn't recall the series being as early as 1984; if pressed I'd have said about 1986 or 87. Roger Sloman is the host, and you might recognise him from plenty of TV in the 1980s and 90s, especially playing bureaucratic, by-the-book types, or yokelly farmer figures. Remember Three Fingered Pete from the sixth episode of The Black Adder? "Good shot! Looks like I'm going to have to... cheat." That was him.

The odd thing about Starstrider in this episode is that he looks like he's wearing Lord Fear's cloak, while, unfortunate sign of the times, blacking up as Ah Wok! Another sign of the times is the kids in the audience laughing much too loudly under clear instruction from the floor manager whenever something silly happens. Notice how the contestant on the bucking buffalo gets away with saying The Rocky Mountains are in South Africa, then changing it to South America, and she is still given the point, even though the Rockies are of course in NORTH America.

The only regular round I can remember is the one where the have to walk on the lit up slabs. Step on a pink slab you score ten points, step on a white one you lose ten.

The only other thing I very vaguely remember for some reason is a scene in one instalment where Wart (SlyMac's character) tries to find a purpose for a toffee apple, and Starstrider tries to explain that Wart has to "put it in himself," which seems decidedly naughty for a kids' show. They come from a planet where no one eats, where eating is a completely abstract concept, and so Wart spends the whole show experimenting with stuffing the stick up his nose, and in other places, before inadvertently eating the apple and finding he rather likes the sensation of taste.

In short, not a terribly good show. And no, getting actually to the point; I have no memory at all of ANY episode I saw in which someone fell into lava. But then I doubt that I saw all the episodes, it wasn't exactly the highlight of my viewing week.