Meet up?

A place to discuss public real-life meetups.
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Meet up?

Post by Mystara »

It occurs to me that now, a time when the community is very active, would be an ideal time for someone to start organising a full community meet up.

Perhaps for Halloween?
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Re: Meet up?

Post by Drassil »

It could be combined with the theme park 'fright nights' that several of the KM community go to annually at Hallowe'en time. Andy/Snowcat can tell us more about these.

If a good number of us intend to go to Knightmare Live in London on June 6/13/20, those would be meetup opportunities to keep in mind too.
Gretel
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Gretel »

I'd never do a Fright Night thing, but I might do a Knightmare live (depends on the ticket prices) if anyone could spare the cash for a ticket or something, if not at least tell me where you'd meet after!
"you should be able to hear from my voice that I'm terribly pretty, now DO you think I'm pretty?"
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

It was more of a day/weekend meet up that I had in mind, rather than a gathering in a pub prior to a show.
Mashibinbin
Staff
Staff

Post by Mashibinbin »

I'd echo Alan on this one. We've seen Knightmare Live collectively now. It's time for something different and hopefully Northern ;)
FoxyLF
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by FoxyLF »

We're up for a Halloween time meet up for sure, spending a few days at the Edinburgh Fringe in August so anything before then is a bit cost prohibitive sadly.
Never been to a fright night, sounds good and, um, scary! >:-]
Gretel
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Gretel »

Well, I'd definitely consider just about anything but s fright night, for one I'm barely able to see in the day and for 2 I'm a dreadful wimp about things. I was just putting the KM Live thing out there for anyone who wanted to do London days but didn't want to fly solo really.
"you should be able to hear from my voice that I'm terribly pretty, now DO you think I'm pretty?"
GlennC81
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by GlennC81 »

I'm absolutely up for meeting up again. I've made a fair few friends thanks to Knightmare Convention so I'm up for a reunion so to speak. :)
SpawnOfFear
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by SpawnOfFear »

Definitely up for a meet up! Something halloweeny sounds right :P
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by HStorm »

I can probably make it if there's plenty of notice. Trouble is, the place I work is short-staffed, so if anyone reserves holiday time, no one else is allowed to take the same day off.
Knightmare Audio Plays from The Dunshelm Players.
dogmanjack
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by dogmanjack »

Do we do it in the midlands so that it's in the middle?
Snowcat
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by Snowcat »

Well... I hesitate to suggest this as it's had very little interest in the past but if you're wanting Halloween hijinx there's alwasy "The Road to Hell and Back". Generally a short-ish roadtrip to visit Alton Towers, Thorpe Park and Tulleys Farm during their Halloween events.

Ran this a few years ago but, I admit, it's kinda died a death unless someone wants to resurrect the idea...
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

As always, the rule in these things is...the person who organises the event calls the shots.

However, I would suggest that the following is likely to lead to a successful event:
  • Middle (ish) of the UK, but biassed towards London (sorry, but that's where most of the community are).
  • Single area/location. This is why I think the Road to Hell and Back was always limited. Most people would only go to the most geographically convenient location to them and you lose critical mass.
  • Halloween. It seems sufficiently far in advance and Halloween events are the most likely to drag most of the community out.
  • A whole weekend. In particular, including a non-theme park day with something else planned.
Traditionally, Blackpool trips have always been the most successful. Unfortunately, we did this only a year ago, so I wouldn't recommend it again.
Gundrada
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Gundrada »

I suggest a raft building exercise, or some other such group bonding event (no sniggering at the back, you know who you are!) I like team building events almost as much as I like eating flowers... But not nettles though, they sting a bit.
Gretel
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Gretel »

Gundrada wrote:I suggest a raft building exercise, or some other such group bonding event (no sniggering at the back, you know who you are!) I like team building events almost as much as I like eating flowers... But not nettles though, they sting a bit.
Now this is a GENIUS idea! Plus then we'd all have really fun memories!! (Just please don't do anything too huge with heights or I may have a breakdown, I'm massively hopeless with heights... as most of you probably remember me saying at some point)