Legal Knightmare DVDs

For all discussion and ideas for bringing back classic Knightmare.
pjmlfc05
Knight
Knight

Re: Legal Knightmare DVDs

Post by pjmlfc05 »

Welcome back! I'm with you all the way and would buy all the series! Hopefully if it gets shown on CITV there might be more interest in it and who knows? Talking of Dizzy i loved that game so much! Spent so many hours on the amiga playing it!
The only way is onward, there is no turning back.
Karinsky
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by Karinsky »

My Childhood was either watching Knightamre and playing Dizzy. :P
I don't know who owns the publishing rights to Knightmare but for a show that was historically important, and a huge favorite i just don't understand what it's locked in a vault. I can't imaging it would cost much to release it? There aren't an legal reasons is there? (like with the 60s Batman.. lol)
pjmlfc05
Knight
Knight

Post by pjmlfc05 »

I don't know to be honest, but here hoping 1 day it will happen
timelord

Post by timelord »

Hi All,
New Member of the Forum, can anyone advise on what the status is on bringing this truly iconic series onto dvd, as like many I grew up with this and I would love to be able to see it again.

Regards
Timelord :D
Sokar

Post by Sokar »

Just watched the 2 episodes on CITV this weekend, got me so nostalgic about my youth and my all time favourite kids show that I joined this site in the hopes of one day getting a dvd release.

I would most certainly pay to see this classic revived.

Keep the dream alive :)
UnclePob
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by UnclePob »

Posting in another thread made me realise this:

We've, as a fanbase, made several attempts to get Knightmare onto DVD. This hasn't ever come to fruition because it's a massively risky and expensive prospect that needs lots of backing that it seems we're never quite able to provide.

The thing is, in the past few years DVDs have started falling out of fashion with the rise of digital distribution. It's possible to put all sorts of material up on services such as ITunes, relatively inexpensively, safely (thanks to the DRM such services employ), to be made available to the general public at low cost.

It could very well be possible for episodes of Knightmare to be put up on ITunes by Tim Child for either a very low fee or completely free of charge (I'm not quite sure of the pricing options available), which could then be bought individually by the public at a fair and reasonable price.

If an episode does well and is successful, stick a few more on there. The risk is minimal, and we'd have a legal means to access Knightmare while Tim receives royalties from each download. It's certainly less risky than mass-producing DVD's of entire seasons and hoping they sell, and much cheaper than having single episodes ordered and dispatched individually from the masters.

I might not have gotten all the facts correct here, but I think there's a good argument for switching our focus from Knightmare on DVD to Knightmare on ITunes, since it could be much more convenient, easier and cheaper for everyone involved meaning it's more likely to actually happen.
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

In fact, our latest DVD campaign considered both.

There's no difference in price between making the episodes available to download, or to buy as a DVD. We considered the advantage of a DVD, however, was the ability to include commentaries and other bonus material that hasn't already been pirated onto YouTube, thereby increasing the perceived value of the items and making people more likely to buy them.

However, ITV could, perhaps, be pursuaded to put them onto iTunes if for no other reason than whether they make one sale or 50000, they earn something at minimal costs to themselves.

Sadly, getting them to listen to such requests is very hard. Perhaps Tim might be in a better position to make such a request.
pjmlfc05
Knight
Knight

Post by pjmlfc05 »

Mystara wrote:In fact, our latest DVD campaign considered both.

There's no difference in price between making the episodes available to download, or to buy as a DVD. We considered the advantage of a DVD, however, was the ability to include commentaries and other bonus material that hasn't already been pirated onto YouTube, thereby increasing the perceived value of the items and making people more likely to buy them.

However, ITV could, perhaps, be pursuaded to put them onto iTunes if for no other reason than whether they make one sale or 50000, they earn something at minimal costs to themselves.

Sadly, getting them to listen to such requests is very hard. Perhaps Tim might be in a better position to make such a request.
Is there any chance you could ask Tim this?
Gundrada
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Gundrada »

Gundrada wrote:» Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:25 am

I would, most definately!

A boyfriends burned all the episodes on a few discs for me when I was hit with food poisoning a couple of years back - it was the most thoughtful thing someone has ever done for me
Eeep! My first ever post on this forum - and some people say I am monomaniacal *ahem* ::)
Peter
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by Peter »

If a girl somehow gotten me every episode of Knightmare, I'd be gown on one knee! Hell if I met a girl my age who even knew what Knightmare was I'd be proposing lol.
Gundrada
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Gundrada »

Peter wrote:If a girl somehow gotten me every episode of Knightmare, I'd be gown on one knee! Hell if I met a girl my age who even knew what Knightmare was I'd be proposing lol.
Well, the ex-boyf couldn't cook a bacon sandwich, so I dumped him - kept the DVDs though, they are knocking around somewhere and haven;t seen the light of day since 2008.
fluttermoth
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by fluttermoth »

Hah! One of my exs did the same for my old video recordings (from the original Challenge run), which was nice.

Shame he was such an utter a** in every other way ::)

FWIW, I'd still be first in line for an official DVD release though!
Gundrada
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Gundrada »

fluttermoth wrote:
FWIW, I'd still be first in line for an official DVD release though!
You'd have to jemmy me out of the doorframe first ;D
fluttermoth
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by fluttermoth »

Ok, second in line then; I'm not trying to jemmy you out of anywhere, you'd have my head off, no doubt ;)

Although...I could bring my sword along and we could fight it out ;D
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

Moving along. ::)