Knightmare Possibly coming back to Challenge

Discussion of the repeats of Knightmare on the satellite channel Challenge?
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Re: Challenge to re-show Knightmare

Post by Drassil »

I'd be sceptical of what the Mirror article said. See our discussion of the article here.

Meanwhile, this latest tweet from Challenge suggests that we might not have to wait much longer to learn Knightmare's fate.
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

Yeah, I saw that.
I don't doubt that they are *trying* to get Knightmare - it's been so highly requested. However, what I do question is whether they have the means to purchase it again.
Canadanne
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Canadanne »

They have again confirmed "We are working on it :-)" on their Facebook page yesterday... I have faith that they will show at least one series!
pjmlfc05
Knight
Knight

Post by pjmlfc05 »

I think the Mirror is pretty accurate when they do their articles. Keep believing that it will get shown! I think Challenge has the funds to show it. Plus the interest is very strong.
The only way is onward, there is no turning back.
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by HStorm »

pjmlfc05 wrote:I think the Mirror is pretty accurate when they do their articles.
Not in my experience. And certainly not in the article linked to, which was reporting Tim Child still working on something secret that he had in fact hinted at some two years before he retired.
pjmlfc05
Knight
Knight

Post by pjmlfc05 »

Well in mine they are. I just don't think we should give up yet. If Tim Child doesn't want it to be shown anymore it would be nice for him to come out and say it.
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by HStorm »

pjmlfc05 wrote:If Tim Child doesn't want it to be shown anymore it would be nice for him to come out and say it.
Ah, but nobody's suggesting that he doesn't want it to be shown. The article linked to was saying that he was dropping hints about something new he was working on, when in fact, he dropped those hints years earlier, and retired in between times when Intermedialab went out of business.

That doesn't reflect in any way on whether he wants Knightmare to be shown. And indeed he has no control over that as he doesn't own the rights to the eight series that were made; those apparently belong to ITN these days, for some reason.

As for the Daily Mirror, in my experience it's like most other British tabloids; long on opinion, longer still on sensation-seeking, and short on fact-checking. If you have happier experiences with it, I'm pleased for you.
pjmlfc05
Knight
Knight

Post by pjmlfc05 »

I couldn't care less to be honest about the newspapers or what anyone thinks about them. My main point is that I would love Knightmare to be shown again. As I'm sure most people on this forum would love it to be shown again.
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by HStorm »

Of course. I'm just suggesting that to avoid disappointment, it's best not to pin those hopes on what we've read in a newspaper, especially one with the Mirror's track-record.
pjmlfc05
Knight
Knight

Post by pjmlfc05 »

Well you got your opinion and I've got mine. Hopefully we will get an update from Challenge shortly as to whether it will be shown again or not.
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

Hang on, there are two issues here...

Firstly, the article reported by the mirror was (in my opinion) quite clearly referring to Tim Child's vague hints in this forum about "something new coming". The thread is entitled "SOMETHING STIRS" and the hints made by Tim are several years old and, as far as I am aware, no longer amount to anything. In short, the evidence suggests that the author of the article didn't check their facts very carefully at all.

Secondly, Challenge is looking into re-purchasing the right to show Knightmare. Challenge's attempt to re-purchase the right occurred after the article in the mirror. Additionally, although TIm Child does own a 50% share of the rights in the TV episodes, all of the rights management is handled by ITN. In short, this cannot possibly be what the mirror was referring to.

So in summary, as far as I'm aware, the hints repeated the mirror are meaningless and on an unrelated issue, Challenge are trying to get the rights to Knightmare again.

As for whether Challenge will buy the rights, I'm sure that they do have the means and there is the demand. However, Challenge won't pay more than they think those rights are worth. If ITN and Challenge cannot come to an agreement regarding how much the rights are worth, Challenge won't show Knightmare, regardless of the demand and regardless of whether they have the money to pay for it.

And that's what concerns me.
pjmlfc05
Knight
Knight

Post by pjmlfc05 »

Fair comments Alan. Just gotta keep our fingers crossed!
SpectralScorpion
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by SpectralScorpion »

Fair point about paying for the rights. Knightmare is an old show and the chances are the target demographic is solely nostalgics, be they from the time it originally ran to those like me who picked it up during the first Challenge era. As a consequence I doubt Challenge will be jumping over hurdles to get the rights and will want a good price for them, and if ITV doesn't like what's being offered well...it ain't good. :'(

Since we're giving out about the Daily Mirror I thought I'd join in. My parents have bought that rag everyday for at least a decade now and I used to read it, but then I grew so frustrated with it I just stopped. Articles are typical tabloid tripe, the columnists are real knee-jerking smug pricks, and as for the Sport section if I submitted articles like that to the programme I'd get laughed off.
SpectralScorpion (n) - One who is forever condemned to eat his words by his own brash arrogance. XD
pjmlfc05
Knight
Knight

Post by pjmlfc05 »

The worst of the lot is the Sun. Don't get their facts right. But this shouldn't really be about what paper is bad, it should be hope that Knightmare will be shown again. I personally think it will be.
SpectralScorpion
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by SpectralScorpion »

pjmlfc05 wrote:The worst of the lot is the Sun. Don't get their facts right. But this shouldn't really be about what paper is bad, it should be hope that Knightmare will be shown again. I personally think it will be.
I second that. And sorry, just needed to get it off my chest. ;D

Fingers crossed Knightmare will be back soon. I also see no reason why it can't be remade. Heck, I heard that Total Wipeout is getting cancelled after this series has finished so they need a new interactive gameshow to fill that slot...hint hint. :)
SpectralScorpion (n) - One who is forever condemned to eat his words by his own brash arrogance. XD