Unintended Knightmare references on TV

Other shows or games that remind you of Knightmare but aren't official derivatives.
JamesA
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Unintended Knightmare references on TV

Post by JamesA »

Upon watching Power Rangers SPD this morning (don't ask!) one of the enemies in the show was someone called Morgana.

Not exactly spelled as we know it, but pronounciation-wise it's spot on.

Here's a bit more info:
http://www.rangercentral.com/prspd-villains.htm
James Aukett
Creator of the Knightmare: 25th Anniversary Documentary
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Re:Unintended KM References

Post by Drassil »

Ironlord wrote:
Drassil wrote: Dragonheart II: A New Beginning was on TV yesterday. It features dragons, a boy who wants to gain access to a dungeon so he can retrieve a sword and become a knight, a character from China, a character named Osric with a connection to the last dragon (the sixth Knightmare book has this too), and John Woodnutt wearing a habit.
Made in 2000. So, I wonder where they could have picked their ideas from?
The idea for the title was probably taken from a film made a few years earlier, named Dragonheart. ;) As for the rest, maybe John Woodnutt suggested it in place of what he read when shown the original script.
BillyH wrote: I saw a bit of it, but only the last few minutes.

That's the last thing John Woodnutt filmed before his sad death, I believe.
His scenes are within the first 20 minutes or so. Poignantly, his character (Friar Peter) dies in his sleep, off-screen.

On Thursday night, Ancient Rome: Rise and Fall of an Empire was shown on BBC1. During the episode, an army was told there was "no turning back". There was a Roman Senator named Festus: he was not told to "shut up", though the phrase was used a couple of times. The episode also featured Goth(s).

I read recently that an actor named Matthew Wolfenden is joining the cast of ITV1's Emmerdale. I had no idea it existed as a surname. This means yet another addition to the list of KM locations that could have been named after someone.
Knightmare: Kid-worthy, Naasty, Inspiring, Groundbreaking, Humorous, Treguard, Mesmerising, Adult-worthy, Rewarding, Essential.
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Re:Unintended KM References

Post by Drassil »

During a recent episode of Torchwood, one of the characters talked about the origins of the word 'nightmare'.

Torchwood and Knightmare both shared equal 'billing' on the cover of SFX magazine earlier this year (see this thread for details). Both series have a character named Owen; and it's perhaps ironic that although Torchwood is set in Wales, it's the Owen in Knightmare that has a Welsh accent.
Knightmare: Kid-worthy, Naasty, Inspiring, Groundbreaking, Humorous, Treguard, Mesmerising, Adult-worthy, Rewarding, Essential.
Canadanne
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re: Knightmare references

Post by Canadanne »

Did anyone else see last week's episode of 'House'? I just watched it this evening, and laughed out loud when they discovered the patient had been eating several cans of tuna every day (leading them to suspect mercury poisoning). Reminded me so much of Lord Fear saying to Lissard "Still doing 3lbs of tuna a day, are you? Mm? Nasty habit, that - it'll be the death of you, you mark my words!"

Also whilst out on a walk the other day, I had to jump across a large gap between edging stones to get across a flooded path, and I felt just like a dungeoneer on the Play Your Cards Right ledge...
JamesA
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by JamesA »

Last night on Channel 4 marked the beginning of a new series called The Morgana Show.

Whilst its spelt completely different to the Morgahanna we all know, the person mentioned above is in fact an impressionist, so one is trying to imagine her recreations of sending a magical axe to chase a dungeoneer to their doom off a thin ledge, or quite simply blasting a couple of bolts to a dungeoneer's head in the closing stages of their quest....
James Aukett
Creator of the Knightmare: 25th Anniversary Documentary
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by Drassil »

On Arena: Rolf Harris Paints His Dream on BBC2 last night, the legend discussed (1:08) how the new Controller of ITV's children's programmes axed Rolf's Cartoon Club with merciless words, leaving him deeply depressed and writing 59-page letters at 4am. It seems he was referring to Dawn Airey, who we know played a part in the end of Knightmare too. Rolf was saved by Animal Hospital.

I can't have been the only one to think of Aesandre when the cold and snow hit the UK recently. And more lately it's descended upon Mark Knight in Villa Del Fear. I mean, Philadelphia.

The boys' choral group Libera have revealed that to prepare for their changes of position between songs when the lights are down, they practise with blindfolds! At the end of concerts, they wave goodbye to the audience before walking out of view.

When I saw the film Stardust a while ago, a few aspects served as unintended KM references:

- The use of music also featured in MTV's surprisingly adult Knightmare The Game.

- The title, which was also a Series 3 clue obect.

- A teleportation device known as a Babylon Candle, surely referring to this poem, as KM novella The Forbidden Gate does.
Pooka
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Pooka »

There's a recurring character in the popular children's BBC sitcom Aquila called Dunstan. That's the only place I've ever heard that name outside Knightmare.
Pooka - teacher, writer, comedian, musician, geek, and full-time Knightmarian.
Canadanne
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Canadanne »

A murder victim in Law & Order: UK was called David Lerner - it was very odd to hear that name repeatedly mentioned in such a context!
Canadanne
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Canadanne »

Canadanne wrote:A murder victim in Law & Order: UK was called David Lerner - it was very odd to hear that name repeatedly mentioned in such a context!
And in the latest episode, they had to find out the name of a club whose abbreviation was KAC!
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by Drassil »

In a recent episode of CSI, one character received a card apparently from someone called David Campbell, whom she believed to have died some twenty years earlier.
Fidjit
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Fidjit »

McGrew must have finally got the swine then! ;D
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by Drassil »

I was actually reminded of the full name of the first casualty of the Dungeon. As for McGrew, he's probably moved on to the Baxters by now.
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by HStorm »

I'm watching an episode of 'Allo Allo on Gold, and Herr Flick and von Schmallhausen are visiting a monastery that bears an uncanny resemblance to the Castle of Doom. Now why would that be...?

(ETA: Episode is called Eloping To England.)
Canadanne
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Canadanne »

Drassil wrote:If only the actor/stuntman who appeared in the Knightmare pilot had been called Richard Bonecarpark rather than Richard Bonehill then we'd have another unintended Knightmare reference for the annals now. ;)
I was vaguely reminded of Knightmare during the part of the documentary where they added the eyeballs to the skull for the facial reconstruction - it was like seeing the life force animation in reverse. *g*
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Re: Unintended Knightmare references on TV

Post by Drassil »

A long time ago (2003) in a thread far, far away (not actually all that far away), I wrote:...The Francis Urquhart trilogy.

Dungeoneer: Are you Hordriss?
Hordriss: You may think that; one couldn't possibly comment.
The original House of Cards TV series was repeated on Drama last weekend. The lead character's distinctive habit of continually breaking the fourth wall and addressing the audience was a strong reminder of Knightmare.