Castle locations/forest scenes

Series, Teams, History, Behind the scenes etc. - all discussed here.
Canadanne
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re: Name That Castle

Post by Canadanne »

Just had a look at those two:

507 - Smirkenorff landing at Llansteffan Castle
605 - Peggatty flying away from Carreg Cennen Castle

So nope, it's neither of those! *headscratch*
Canadanne
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Canadanne »

Canadanne wrote:I've just realised I'm not sure which castle is briefly seen in the end credits of ep 504.
OK, adding location number 29 to the map - Pennard Castle in Swansea!
Canadanne
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Canadanne »

Canadanne wrote:~ Courtyard with arches, where Simon met Rothberry (ep 701), Nicola met Sidriss (ep 704), and Alex and Barry went down a staircase (eps 705 / 714).

~ Landing in Level 1 where Alex met Smirkenorff after Fidjit unlocked the gate (ep 705).
Aha... location number 30, Avellaneda Palace in Burgos.
Canadanne
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Canadanne »

Leigh Grey who did some of the camerawork for Series 4 has been very helpful with identifying a few more locations for me! (Turns out he still has his 1990 diary with all the summer filming dates.) So I've now added the following places to the map:

~ Dragon Hall in Norwich (interior of the Crazed Heifer, and indeed Hordriss' classroom in Series 7)
~ Oxburgh Hall near King's Lynn (end credits of episode 410)
~ Hockering Wood near East Dereham (presumably all the forest scenes in Series 4)

...bringing the current total to 33 locations. Not bad! See the updated map at: http://tinyurl.com/KMlocations
Canadanne
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Canadanne »

Update: managed to identify a couple more of the mystery locations! These two:
~ Room where Simon chose Level 2 clue objects (ep 702).

~ Level 1 courtyard where Nicola rescued Romahna from Sly Hands (ep 703) and Alex turned Fidjit from a toad back into a human (ep 705).
...are also from Simancas Castle. They have helpful 360° video tours on the website!
Canadanne
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Canadanne »

Canadanne wrote:~ Indoor market where Christopher bought a CHANGE spell from Julius Scaramonger (eps 513 / 514). Also seen in the end credits of ep 515, and in darkness as Barry searched for the final piece of Grimaldine's staff (ep 713). Looks like a medieval barn - they're all rather similar, but I've yet to find a precise match.
By jove, I do believe I've found the bugger!
http://www.medievalarchitecture.net/ima ... rangeBarn/
Canadanne
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Canadanne »

OK, so the very last photo in this slideshow (4:34)... do you reckon it's the same as this and this from Series 7? It looks mighty similar to me, though it's hard to be certain from this angle.

I think I'm gonna say it is, until anyone tells me otherwise...
Canadanne
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Canadanne »

.....Don't ask me how, but I just stumbled across a photo of the Causeway cave from Series 6!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/plindsay/3556058237/

It's definitely the same one. Here's another photo showing exactly the same angle as the Level 1 Causeway. :)

So there you have it... Poole's Cavern in Buxton, Derbyshire. (So much for my Swansea hunch.) This looks rather like the entrance to the Mines of Gore, and I think this is just beyond where Ben encountered Lord Fear!
Canadanne
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Canadanne »

*Finally* figured out what they filmed at Carew Castle! Two things, in fact:
Canadanne wrote:~ Level 2 room where Richard, Sarah and Ben met Skarkill (eps 503 / 504 / 506 / 508). On the last occasion it was flipped and included the Descender entrance. A modified version of the same room was used for a Level 2 Causeway tackled by Kathryn, Richard, Sarah, Ben and Alex (eps 502 / 503 / 505 / 506 / 508 / 512).
This appears to be the room in question! The wooden doors are new, I guess.

And the other thing was an only-used-once Eyeshield sequence in Series 5 episode 7, as Ben leaves the Descender to enter Level 2. When the camera swings left, you see this view of the chapel.
Canadanne
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Canadanne »

It's no good - I'm well and truly stuck again. Since I've answered so many of my own questions in this thread, here's an updated list of the filming locations I still need help with...

~ The background onto which they pasted the conveyor belt entrance in Series 4. (Could be somewhere that's already listed with a blue marker on the map.)

~ The Level 2 "blue room" in Series 4 that was home to Doorkis and also used for character encounters. Again, this could be inside one of the locations we already know about.

~ The Level 3 room where Elita wanted a ruby from Sarah, subsequently used as Hordriss' headquarters in Series 6. There's an Eyeshield sequence heading up the spiral staircase as Sarah leaves the room.

~ The wall used to create an area for the Level 1 Blocker in Series 5.

~ The walls and windows used to create a Level 1 Causeway in Series 5.

~ The Dunswater as seen in Series 5 and 6, with boat rides ending at a small jetty, followed by an Eyeshield sequence across a sort of park.

~ Various scenes and Eyeshield sequences in the Greenwood of Series 5. Could have been filmed at the Weald and Downland Open Air Museum, or somewhere else entirely.

~ Smirkenorff's coast flight during the end credits of Series 5 episode 3. He flies over a very distinctively shaped headland which should be easy to recognise, but so far I haven't been able to locate it.

~ The Level 3 clue room in Series 6, with tiled floor and open to the sky. The Eyeshield sequence leaving this room is shown in full during Ben's quest.

~ The Level 2 courtyard used for spying and character encounters in Series 6 and 7. The paving isn't real (it's been copied from the Level 3 clue room) so it might be grass or something in reality.

~ The Level 2 courtyard where Matt met Heggatty and which was normally seen in reverse with Peggatty hurling fireballs.

~ The timber-framed Level 1 room seen twice in Series 6, once as a clue room.

~ Captain Nemanor's ship, the Cloudwalker, seen from various angles. A couple of dungeoneers went below deck and there was an Eyeshield sequence walking towards a hatch with a cross over it (seen in full during Ben's quest).

~ The path travelled by January and Ben in Series 6, overhung by a distinctive tree branch.

~ Smirkenorff's flight along another rocky coastline during the end credits of Series 6 episode 2.

~ Smirkenorff's flight over something resembling a salt marsh during the end credits of Series 6 episode 3.

~ The (presumably Spanish) castle in Series 7 where a troll could be found swinging its club across the path.

~ The presumably Spanish location used as the tavern where Lissard was pretending to be Marta during Barry's quest.

~ Various areas of Grimdale in Series 7, which may or may not have been filmed in Spain: this building, this building, this structure and Rothberry's stall.

Please let me know if you can identify any of these locations! Thank you!
Eyeshield
Inoperative

Re: Castle locations/forest scenes

Post by Eyeshield »

~ The Level 3 room where Elita wanted a ruby from Sarah, subsequently used as Hordriss' headquarters in Series 6. There's an Eyeshield sequence heading up the spiral staircase as Sarah leaves the room.

I believe that's the basement storage room at Hedingham Castle, Essex. I did take a photo of it when I was there but it was too dark to come out properly. But the brick spiral stairs may be evidence enough!
Canadanne
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Canadanne »

Eyeshield wrote:I believe that's the basement storage room at Hedingham Castle, Essex. I did take a photo of it when I was there but it was too dark to come out properly. But the brick spiral stairs may be evidence enough!
Oooooo! Thanks for that. I've looked at so many photos of Hedingham Castle and hadn't seen anything resembling that room, but I'll have another look and see if I can find one. The bricks are indeed a distinguishing feature - it's been driving me mad trying to find a spiral staircase that matches!
Canadanne
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Canadanne »

OK, I still haven't found a photo of the basement itself taken from the same angle, but I'm convinced it is indeed where those scenes were filmed - here's a clip of Lovejoy walking down the same spiral staircase at 3:17! Thanks again Jake!

Heh... Lord Fear lives on the top floor and Hordriss lives in the basement...
Canadanne
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Canadanne »

Interesting to read that David Rowe didn't actually draw the stained glass window in Series 2 and 3 (it was just pasted onto the Level 3 clue room by the Travelling Matte Company). I wonder if it was a photograph of a real window somewhere.
Canadanne
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Canadanne »

A couple more of the mystery locations can be crossed off the list...
Canadanne wrote:~ The Level 2 courtyard used for spying and character encounters in Series 6 and 7. The paving isn't real (it's been copied from the Level 3 clue room) so it might be grass or something in reality.

~ The Level 2 courtyard where Matt met Heggatty and which was normally seen in reverse with Peggatty hurling fireballs.
These are both now confirmed as being at Fountains Abbey. One is taken from the kitchen yard:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tangatamanu/4709727530/

And the other is part of the church:
http://travel.webshots.com/photo/209790 ... 9240NNgecw