Attention all 8th Doctor fans.

Discussions of the classic british sci-fi show.
BBrooks
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Attention all 8th Doctor fans.

Post by BBrooks »

Check this out.
http://www.thedailydust.co.uk/2010/10/2 ... octor-who/

This is (I think) the first step in seeing the 8th Doctor back on our screens. If Paul had worn that for the 1996 movie then you never know the series might have been picked up. It's very doctor-ish isn't it ? The "Steampunk" Sonic Screwdriver is very cool and the man-bag would be a great addition to the costume, you can imagine it being full of various useful bits and pieces like Rope or a Stanley Knife for example. Or if The Doctor finds something important like food then he could put it in there to keep his Life-force up................oh Sorry about that, I got my show's mixed up there. :D Let's hope he doesn't opt for a viking helmet to go with the new look, or he'll be sued for copyright.
BBrooks
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Re: Attention all 8th Doctor fans.

Post by BBrooks »

Here are some more pictures;

The brand new costume.

The "Steampunk" Sonic Screwdriver.
Pooka
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Pooka »

Well, he's my favourite Doctor, but I don't like that costume. He was always a very romantic Doctor, so the Byronesque costume suited that much better! And so that;s the costume I'm sticking to for writing my Eighth Doctor novel, thank you McGann!
Pooka - teacher, writer, comedian, musician, geek, and full-time Knightmarian.
DarkComet
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by DarkComet »

I don't know, I can envision this as a nice segue into the 9th Doctor's "U-Boat Captain" getup. Perhaps we are gearing up for some Expanded Universe style chicanery involving the Time War, and this is their way of differentiating between it and the Big Finish/Comics/EDA Books stuff?
The Dunshelm Players
Audios plays and commentaries with a Knightmare flavour

The neighing and braying of farmyard animals follows
BBrooks
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by BBrooks »

Dark Comet wrote:I don't know, I can envision this as a nice segue into the 9th Doctor's "U-Boat Captain" getup.
This new getup could be his "Time War" uniform or his fighting clothes. I'm glad that Paul has been able to take his Doctor's look, in the direction that he's always wanted.
Dark Comet wrote:Perhaps we are gearing up for some Expanded Universe style chicanery involving the Time War, and this is their way of differentiating between it and the Big Finish/Comics/EDA Books stuff?
I'd certainly say that's the case, a TV series featuring "The Time War" would be marvellous. But they would have to educate the new-generation on the Eighth Doctor first, which would mean a repeat of the 1996 TV Movie or a showing of the animated webcast remake of "Shada".
Pooka
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Pooka »

I already educated the new generation, that is to say my little cousin and my girlfriend, by showing them both the 1996 TVM. Both were enthralled.

There's also a whole heap of radio plays starring the Eighth Doctor. People should listen to them too.
Pooka - teacher, writer, comedian, musician, geek, and full-time Knightmarian.
BBrooks
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by BBrooks »

Pooka wrote:I already educated the new generation, that is to say my little cousin and my girlfriend, by showing them both the 1996 TVM. Both were enthralled.
I'll always stick up for the 1996 TV Movie, I was there in front of the TV watching it when it was first aired. I was blown away by it and it was great to see Nu-Who (which of course it was back then) being broadcast.

Paul Mcgann was a terrific Doctor, he was immediately in his stride right from the very first moment he appeared on-screen. The story might have been a bit weak and a bit rushed, but it did have good direction and brilliant peformances.

It also boasts the best Tardis interior of all time, you can see how it inspired the 2005 - onwards ones. The Gothic, Space Age-Victorian look suits it extremely well and it gives the impression that it's infinite in structure. Whereas the Eccleston/Tennant Tardis looked like it was just that one control room.

In an ideal world the 1996 TV Movie should have been a 3-part special consisting of 3 x 60 minute episodes;
Part 1 would have had Sylvester McCoy and Anthony Ainley returning as the Seventh Doctor and The Master (his performance in the PC game "Destiny of the Doctors" proved that he could still play the part), with both of them regenerating at the end of the episode. It would have been the perfect send-off for the classic era.

Part 2 would have acted as a Regeneration story for the Eighth Doctor and The Master.

Part 3 would have been the big finale, that tied everything up. :)
DarkComet
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by DarkComet »

Attention people - stop reading these words and buy either Storm Warning or Blood of the Daleks from Big Finish, and listen to either series accordingly. Do this thing.

Right now.

RIGHT THIS VERY INSTANT.
The Dunshelm Players
Audios plays and commentaries with a Knightmare flavour

The neighing and braying of farmyard animals follows
Kieran
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Kieran »

This is good advice.

Also Chimes of Midnight and Natural History of Fear would be good choices.