"The road to Hell and back" - Halloween 2010

A place to discuss public real-life meetups.
Snowcat
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

"The road to Hell and back" - Halloween 2010

Post by Snowcat »

Hiya folks. :)

Been a while since I broke radio silence here in the forum, but since I couldn't make Blackpool I thought I'd ask here about a yearly tradition...

Every year at Halloween, Alton Towers, Thorpe Park and several farms + country parks hold events that include night entry into the park and "Scare Maze" walkthrough attractions. Not to mention plenty opportunities to tangle with a motley assortment of Ghosts, Ghouls, Wraiths, The Undead and murdering Psychopaths! If you've ever done a city ghost walk or something like the Edinburgh/York/London "Dungeons" you get the basic idea. 8-o ???

I'm planning on doing a roadtrip around several of these during the Schools midterm holiday.

--------------------
The Basic Plan (open to suggestion) :-

Wed 20th Oct - Alton Towers Scarefest

Thurs 21st Oct - Travel, Rest

Fri 22nd Oct - Thorpe Park FrightNights

Sat 23rd Oct - Tulleys Farm Shocktoberfest & Homeward bound. Hopefully with all wits and body parts in the same Car or at least accounted for... ;)

--------------------

In previous years, things have been fairly freeform so there's a little room to shuffle a day or so either way but it'll most likely be that week. Thorpe Parks FrightNights in particular start in earnest on that Friday. Accomodation is also widely available along the way and we can try to organise once we know how many are in the group.

A little taster of previous adventures.
A good time has been had by all in the past, particularly the survivors...

Folks have been good enough to invite me out to various things (Hannah, Kieran, Forester, Mog, I'm looking in your general direction) so I thought I'd try inviting any and all to this. :)

Anyone brave enough to join me for some or all of this journey to Hell... and back? >:-]
Last edited by Snowcat on 21 Aug 2010, 00:40, edited 1 time in total.
There are but 2 rules in this realm:-
1) He who sees first is the winner...
2) He who is seen first is toast...
Strike
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Re: "The road to Hell and back" - Halloween 2010

Post by Strike »

Tulleys Farm? I live about 2 or 3 miles near it! :D
DarkComet
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by DarkComet »

I'm game, just to prove this maloderous moggy that I did NOT leave him stranded in that cornfield of the undead way back when.
The Dunshelm Players
Audios plays and commentaries with a Knightmare flavour

The neighing and braying of farmyard animals follows
Snowcat
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by Snowcat »

Ah yes, I remember that. Noone could hold a candle to you back then.

You'd ran off with them all! ;D
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

I hope to go to this. But it will be finance dependent :/
JamesA
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by JamesA »

I wouldn't mind coming to Tulleys Farm if the planned meet-up was arranged for the Saturday. Unfortunately the other days fall during school term time so there's no way I could make the others.
James Aukett
Creator of the Knightmare: 25th Anniversary Documentary
Snowcat
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by Snowcat »

Yer more than welcome James. :D
If it helps, Tulleys farm is an evening event (hence attempting it on the travel day). Roughly 9pm-11pm from what I've heard. Depending on how far you're travelling, it should be possible to do on a schoolnight.

Mystara, even if finances don't permit everything, you're welcome along to wherever you can. Because of the distances involved, I was fully expecting people to dip in and out as they saw fit. This isn't an organised "meetup" in the usual sense. :) More "This is happening here and when. Anyone wanna join the fun?"

I'll probably start trying to sort planes, trains, automobiles, acomodation and park tickets in just over a Fortnights time. Let's say Friday 10th Sept. (any later and we risk losing out as most of the events are booked ahead).

If folks could let me know a definate Yes or No by then it'd be highly appreciated.

Thanks!
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

Ah, but coming from Edinburgh is ALWAYS going to be finance heavy, unfortunately.

You never know, I might have a job by then ;)
Forester
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by Forester »

Just a quick heads up, there's a lot of BOGOF offers floating around for Alton & Thorpe Park at the moment. Even though it does mean taking time off we've tried weekends / school holidays with these trips previously and it was shockingly bad (busy beyond belief).
Snowcat
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by Snowcat »

Mystara wrote:Ah, but coming from Edinburgh is ALWAYS going to be finance heavy, unfortunately.
I'm only a few miles outside of Stirling! ;D
If you don't mind squeezing into the passenger seat of an MX-5, the travel costs might work a little cheaper. Any use?
Forester wrote:Just a quick heads up, there's a lot of BOGOF offers floating around for Alton & Thorpe Park at the moment. Even though it does mean taking time off we've tried weekends / school holidays with these trips previously and it was shockingly bad (busy beyond belief).
Alton @ Buyagift.co.uk - Thanks Forester!
As a quick note, the 2 scare mazes in Altons Hotel grounds ("Carnival of Screams" and the "Boilerhouse") are a little extra. £12 for the pair when bought on park IIRC.

Unfortunately, Buyagift.co.uk don't have Thorpe tickets for the FrightNights. We may have to book them directly nearer the time.
Strike
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by Strike »

I am def up for Tulleys Farm if anyone else is. Be nice to meet some of you guys. Even though I am newcomer If anyone wants local info let me know!
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

Snowcat wrote: I'm only a few miles outside of Stirling! ;D
If you don't mind squeezing into the passenger seat of an MX-5, the travel costs might work a little cheaper. Any use?
Ah, that's quite possible, thanks.
I'll need to let you know nearer the time, though.
Forester
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by Forester »

Just checked Tulley's Farm dates the proper page doesn't yet say anything still but the Job Vacancies page says it's from Oct 22nd - 31st.
Kieran
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Kieran »

I was hoping we'd do something like this given the BPool social attracted a good amount of attention. Therefore I certainly have an interest.
Snowcat
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by Snowcat »

Forester wrote:Just checked Tulley's Farm dates the proper page doesn't yet say anything still but the Job Vacancies page says it's from Oct 22nd - 31st.
Thanks for that. For safeties sake We'll make Tulleys the Saturday then. :)
Means the Thursday can be nice and relaxed as we go cross country (about 170 miles depending on the route taken) and hopefully James and others can get involved as well.

As already mentioned, I'd prefer to do the larger themeparks during the working week. It'll hopefully make things a little quieter. Being knee deep in Neds and Chavs isn't my idea of fun...

Meh... I'd edit the original post again but the board won't let me! :-[