Can anyone tell me about this sculpture?

Series, Teams, History, Behind the scenes etc. - all discussed here.
gbutterworth
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Can anyone tell me about this sculpture?

Post by gbutterworth »

Hiya. I was sorting out a storage unit the other day and came accross a sculpture. The address label on the bottom was for "Ron Lyon" in Winchester. Being so unusual I tried to do some research and found out that Ron Lyon did the sculptures for Knightmare. However, that is where the research came to an end. So I was hoping that someone on this forum could tell me about the piece. I have attached photo's of the piece. Any information anyone can give would be gratefully received. Many thanks Gary

Ron Lyon Sculpture 3
Ron Lyon Sculpture 3
Sculpture 3.jpg (29.82 KiB) Viewed 22297 times
Ron Lyon Sculpture 2
Ron Lyon Sculpture 2
Sculpture 2.jpg (26.1 KiB) Viewed 22297 times
Ron Lyon Sculpture 4
Ron Lyon Sculpture 4
Sculpture 4.jpg (30.96 KiB) Viewed 22297 times
tiggy
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Re: Can anyone tell me about this sculpture?

Post by tiggy »

Might be a coincidence but I saw something identical on ebay a few days ago but I can't find the listing now - are you the seller? I was very tempted by the 99p starting price by the way... :)
gbutterworth
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by gbutterworth »

Hiya. Yes it was my listing. I was told it may be a prototype Frightnight sculpture, and after reading on here that one had been sold for £300, I decided it was better to remove it from eBay and find out more about it before I sell it. Have you seen anything like it before?
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by HStorm »

There is a resemblance to the Frightknight trophy, and it also bears an affinity with an Assassin, so by all means there could be a direct link to Knightmare. Sadly I have no information about Ron Lyon, and I've never seen a sculpture like this before.
Illusion
Knight
Knight

Post by Illusion »

Interesting.

Previous discussion on FrightKnight trophy

http://www.knightmare.com/forum/viewtop ... 31&p=35764
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

It's possible.

However, a quick search for Ron Lyon sculptures yields several pages. Most notably this:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2-Grim-Reaper-Met ... 7002r19344

Those figures could easily be mistaken for fright-knights, but are apparently grim reapers.
Google images also shows a number of sculptures relating to death and mysterious cloaked figures. I guess it's difficult to determine where "grim reaper figures" end and "frightknight trophies" begin :)
Naitch
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Naitch »

Fright Knight, or Grim Reaper, they certainly look very Knightmarish!

I wouldn't mind having that actually....
roadhawkray
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by roadhawkray »

Just a note on this and I apologise if you know this already. There was a series
of Knights and the reapers ect of which I am lucky to own the reaper. All are individual and were all made with alot of hard work. So much so that arthritis (if I remember) was the cause of the series to stop. He and is wife stuck to pottery figures after that. They were a lovely couple and could be seen at the craft fairs frequently. I wish I was financially able at the time to buy more. The figures created a great atmosphere when looked at. I loved them. Even my mum liked the reaper.
Cheers Ray.
roadhawkray
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by roadhawkray »

Ps. The date for these is mid to late eighties app.
Naitch
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Naitch »

I like the look of these!

I can see how they can be mistaken for Fright Knight trophies, they look very similar!

They look cool though...
Cheryllucy

Post by Cheryllucy »

Ron Lyon was my grandfather. I can just about remember him making
The knightmare knights I used to watch the show
There are several different knights.
Cheryllucy

Post by Cheryllucy »

roadhawkray wrote:Just a note on this and I apologise if you know this already. There was a series
of Knights and the reapers ect of which I am lucky to own the reaper. All are individual and were all made with alot of hard work. So much so that arthritis (if I remember) was the cause of the series to stop. He and is wife stuck to pottery figures after that. They were a lovely couple and could be seen at the craft fairs frequently. I wish I was financially able at the time to buy more. The figures created a great atmosphere when looked at. I loved them. Even my mum liked the reaper.
Cheers Ray.

Ron Lyon was my grandfather it's lovely to read what people thought of his work sadly he
died in February 2007.
Canadanne
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Canadanne »

Cheryllucy wrote:Ron Lyon was my grandfather it's lovely to read what people thought of his work sadly he died in February 2007.
Oh, I'm very sad to hear that Ron is no longer with us - I really love his Frightknight designs, and I was just recently reading his article in The Quest. :( Belated condolences! And thank you for letting us know.
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

I'm also sorry to hear that.
I'm fortunate to have one of his specimens, and it's one of my proudest possessions.
Cheryllucy

Post by Cheryllucy »

I have just looked at the artical with my grandpa in, he gave me one of those jumpers he is wearing when I was little. My mum has one of the knight he is holding. I only have his resin cast statues which although compleatly different to his knights are still amazing to own.