Series 7 - Episode 15

Fidjit
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re:Barry's quest...

Post by Fidjit »

I'd quite like to make (or someone else to make) an edit of that Corridor of Blades scene. Instead of Barry being let off when the blade touches him, have the screen go red (like in Series , then fade back to the CoB as the skull death scene appears.
It's possible but very tricky, I'll see what I can do...

I like the death music creeping in and the heartbeating getting really fast until he gets a drop of it... ;D
If the only way is onward how would you get home for tea?? :-/
Thanatos
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Re:Barry's quest...

Post by Thanatos »

Watching your clip carefully (three times) has confirmed my impression that it was merely a very near miss. "Nearly dying of starvation" is hardly valid since all the life-force sequences were added in after filming; they probably allowed it to get as far as a bare skeleton purely for the sake of suspense (and it certainly worked on my when I was seven).
"The Tory Party is the cream of society: rich, thick and full of clots." - anonymous
dragon_of_the_cave
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Re:Series 7, Ep 15

Post by dragon_of_the_cave »

hello , im new to this forum and just watched a recording of this episode. i think barry's tema did really well and they were so brave when the reverse potion happend so quickly. Well done for getting the shield.
From James
Life is a Knightmare- just kidding!
Fidjit
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Other clips... (For those who don't know)

Post by Fidjit »

I have here a clip of Barry Thorne (Series 7 Winning Quest and endless talker) in the corridor of blades very nearly getting chopped in two. And another of him, wanting to put a shell down whilst life force is horribly critical:

http://www.knightmareproject-clips.tk/

Enjoy! ;)
sodoto
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Re:Other clips... (For those who don't know)

Post by sodoto »

Oooh, thanks for these! *steals*
Sidestep right.
Fidjit
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Fidjit »

Should give you a fair idea, eh? :)
sodoto
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by sodoto »

Lol, it's made me want to make giant blades of cardboard and line the uni corridors with them... I wonder if there's a way to make them move...

(BTW: When I said steal, I meant I downloaded them, not stolen them for another site. *thwaps* I should have been clearer...)
Sidestep right.
Fidjit
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Fidjit »

S'ok... I'm not a quick person at these things, people kept it to themselves didn't they? :)
Sai
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by Sai »

Heh, glad we sparked off such discussion. We had fun making it so if people have fun watching it we've all won.

Just a couple of points of interest:

1. The Lifeforce bit is added later. We didn't get to see the graphic and the earliest we know that our food is running out is when Treguard gives his warning. We really had no way of knowing how long we had left. I imagine the Lifeforce concept is there purely to add to the tension rather than actually be a possible death. If the symbol was on a skeleton before we got to the water that's more the fault of the nice computer engineer who put it in in post-production!

2. You are quite right about the tottering on the edge in the fireball room. At the time however we couldn't see that as the lighting in the studio ment the screen was a lot darker to us! We could barely see the edges, let alone navigate them properly!

3. The spinning blades near-miss became a bit of a joke around the studio. People kept coming up to Barry to check the tear in his shirt...

Like I've said before, we weren't "due" to win that season (as I understood it), but by the time we got through to the last few rooms they realised we might actually do it and just went with the idea. The room with the spikes coming out of the floor was actually filmed much later to act as a bit of filler.

I think accusing us or Broadsword of cheating is a little harsh. We certainly couldn't cheat, we just did our best in the world as it was presented to us. Broadsword on the other hand probably "cheated" all the time. They were there to tell and story and make good TV first and foremost. You can't just let it fall as it will in the world of TV, you need some level of control if you want to maintain the quality of the show. However, what's done is done and I for one had a great time.
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by Drassil »

Tom41 wrote:The Fast Backward was a good effect.
In my opinion, it was not so much a good effect as a pointless and maybe even damaging one: if it didn't throw Knightmare's cardinal rule of 'the only way is onward, there is no turning back' out of the window, it certainly forced it onto the ledge. (Cf. what all those dungeoneer sight powders/potions/spells did to the core concept of 'now your advisors will be your eyes.')

This quest's Corridor of Blades 'Short Cut' led from one level to... another part of the same level. What a difference a series makes. (However, it's hard to say which has been the more controversial.)

One final thought: if any one Series 7 dungeoneer should have collected a hammer, surely it should have been Naila?
Knightmare: Kid-worthy, Naasty, Inspiring, Groundbreaking, Humorous, Treguard, Mesmerising, Adult-worthy, Rewarding, Essential.
37Herbie
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by 37Herbie »

I think it was a very entertaining quest and a very memorable one.I think the team did work well together and Barry was the most interactive dungeoneer to enter the Dungeon! They were perhaps let off a bit but on the whole I think it was a fairly fair quest. He did have a potion that made him immune to fire as he entered that chamber and the Corridor of Blades was close but it would have been difficult for them to make a decision there and then whether he got hit by the blade or not, very close and probably gave the benefit of the doubt. Only saw on a freeze frame that he was just caught! The room where he went over the edge and the view went back to the advisors may have been a let off possibly but I think they met the challenges well! For the PYCR the Joker card is wild so I'm guessing the final 2 cards is simply for tension rather than as an actual choice!

Good Quest and Good series Finale!
"Oh Dear, What a Pity, Never Mind"
WackerJr
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Re:What would have happened?

Post by WackerJr »

It's always great to see a Team and Dungeoneer get involved in a Quest and this is one of my favourite Quests in Knightmare's history. I think the actors would have enjoyed interacting with Barry as well. They would've known what he was going to be like very early on, so it would've made a nice challenge for them, and much different to the usual Dungeoneer!

Congrats again to the Team, and to the Team prior to them who also did a great job. Glad to hear they all enjoyed their time, we enjoyed watching you! Top Knightmare!
Fidjit
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re:What would have happened?

Post by Fidjit »

Imagine Paul Valentine/Sylvester Hands comingm on stage with the goblins: ;D

"Stand there and... don't... move... (Looks offset) Oh man do I have to talk to him?!"
Bluke
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Re: What would have happened?

Post by Bluke »

I've just seen the Barry quest. It's the last Knightmare quest (barring a revival of the show) that I'll see- as it brings to an end eight series viewing. However- I thinl Barry's quest was the very best one I've seen.

His roleplaying was the best I've ever seen by a mile. His humour, articulate interaction with the characters was fantastic. And the team was very smart and predicted a lot of the things they had to do before they happened.

Now, I think the fact that he probably did die a couple of times needs to be balanced out by the fact that his quest- undoutedly - was far, far harder than the previous ones on series 7. The quest directly before his lasted 50 minutses, wherea's barry's spanned four episodes and was up there at almost 72. Plus, they encountered the corridor of bades (not seen previously), the room with the dripping water. Also, even in level one they had the room wih the moving floor where they had to reach up and get the staff piece. In my opinion that room alone was harder than the most difficult thing the preceeding team were asked to do. Earlier in the series, level 1 was a joke for a few teams, but in Barry's quest it was as hard as level 3 in some others.

In terms of the ultiamte Knightmare team, I think they had the most immiagination and role-playing ability. While they were above average on the floor puzzles, they were occasionaly indesicive under pressure, and there were better teams at movement in co-ordination.

But I think it showed just how good Knightmare could be with a good team taking on a high difficulty level dungeon.

Barry, mate, if you're out there (which you are, given you poste don the board) you are ultimate Dungeoneer and ultinmate team, who, for me, were part of this great series at its very, very best.
Pooka
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re: What would have happened?

Post by Pooka »

Um, you've got it a bit wrong about Barry being the end of eight series' viewing. The final quest is Oliver's in series 8. You have one series left to go.
Pooka - teacher, writer, comedian, musician, geek, and full-time Knightmarian.