Series 6 and 7 Dwarf Tunnels

Series, Teams, History, Behind the scenes etc. - all discussed here.
AriadnesLayer
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Series 6 and 7 Dwarf Tunnels

Post by AriadnesLayer »

Anyone else a big fan of these rooms? They were definately my favourite part of an episode. They were really tense, dark, creepy and atmospheric, and had a completely different feeling from the rest of the game, because the camera followed the dungeoneer around a real set, rather than a bird's eye view of the dungeoneer in a fake room.

I loved that you never knew what was around the next corner, and literally anything could come creeping out. Sometimes you caught a glimpse of somebody or something edging out of sight, other times something would creep INTO sight... not sure which was scarier.

They were also often used as clue rooms which I think was great, as clue rooms FORCE the dungeoneer to stand still for a great deal of time whilst inspecting the clues. This is not very scary in a large open plan room, but very scary in a clostrophobic tunnel where you can hear footsteps and see skeletons lying on the floor. Forcing the dungeoneer to stop here was a stroke of genius.

And let's not forget the atmospheric music used in the dwarf tunnels that sent shivers up my spine.

Sometimes of course, they were just simple passageways between rooms where not much happened. But other times they were creepy as hell!

Definately an underrated aspect of Knightmare's latter seasons IMO.
BrotherStrange
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Re:Series 6 and 7 Dwarf Tunnels

Post by BrotherStrange »

I quite agree with that assessment-- very atmospheric and foreboding-- loved the claustrophobia of them. I liked the way you could often hear Raptor/Skarkill roaming with his goblins. Shame Raptor never got a kill himself; I think it would have been better if Raptor had bumped Nicola off in S7 in an unlit dwarf-tunnel, rather than an obscure death.

Speaking of S7 and dwarf tunnels... Julie's quest on Level 2. After inspecting clues in the dwarf tunnels beyond the Rift of Anga, troll footsteps were used to hurry Julie along. How exactly would a troll fit in one of those tunnels [chuckle]?
I hadn't realised I'd entered the lunatic asylum! No doubt one day you'll be cured, you poor creature
Helvellyn
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by Helvellyn »

I agree, having a section with a real set added to Knightmare quite well. The only drawback was seen when one dungeoneer was startled by a noise of someone behind him - only it was the cameraman.
Fidjit
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Fidjit »

Indeed, this was (besides the causeways and other traps) an intense addition to Knightmare. You never knew what might pop out next :)
If the only way is onward how would you get home for tea?? :-/
AriadnesLayer
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by AriadnesLayer »

Yes, I love the bit where a storm gueist creeps out of the T-junction ahead of a dungeoneer.
Ironlord
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Ironlord »

Brother Strange wrote:Speaking of S7 and dwarf tunnels... Julie's quest on Level 2. After inspecting clues in the dwarf tunnels beyond the Rift of Anga, troll footsteps were used to hurry Julie along. How exactly would a troll fit in one of those tunnels [chuckle]?
It was one of those tiny trolls that fits on the end of a pencil. It was carrying a huge stereo playing one of ITV's sound effects tapes.
I am Granitas of legend. MY NAME IS NOT AMUSING!
PookasRule
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by PookasRule »

I definitely prefer the Series 6-7 dwarf tunnels than their predecessors. They were darker, shorter and more liable to contain nasty surprises and were definitely great for suspense.

As for the troll footsteps, it was more than likely just a psychological attempt to get the team to hurry up. For all we know, it could just have been a troll walking on the ground above them, completely oblivious to their presence.
I'm a Mogdred fan!
knightmaredave
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Re: Series 6 and 7 Dwarf Tunnels

Post by knightmaredave »

I loved all the Dwarf tunnels series 3 added a new twist to knightmare with them. also liked series 6/7 because you would either meet a friend or rather meet a nasty and there was more choice to move around. The series 8 were quite effective with snap dragons and encounters tho
BrotherStrange
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by BrotherStrange »

knightmaredave wrote:I loved all the Dwarf tunnels series 3 added a new twist to knightmare with them. also liked series 6/7 because you would either meet a friend or rather meet a nasty and there was more choice to move around. The series 8 were quite effective with snap dragons and encounters tho
I wasn't so keen on the S8 dwarf tunnels, less atmospheric and claustrophobic-- plus they were straight! I like S6 and S7 more, because you never knew what was around the next corner-- literally!
Pooka
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Pooka »

Meh. I think the S8 tunnels were kinda cool. I mean, the first time, the snapdragons were terrifying, and after that you were on tenterhooks knowing they were going to pop out, but you never knew when or where. It's a bit of a shame snapdragons were never a real threat.

S6/7's dwarf tunnels were a good addition, seeing as how they were a purpose-built set unlike the ones in S3. As has been said before, there was one scene where we could hear the voice of Skarkill (not Raptor) sneaking around the tunnels. Probably one of the scariest scenes in KM's history, when you think about it, insofar as there was a genuine hint of menace about. I seriously doubt that Skarkill was going to be encountered (hell, Rayner Bourton probably wasn't even on set at the time), but his voice was VERY creepy and VERY disturbing, plus the dungeoneer turned a lot of corners during the scene. Brrr.

Also a friend of mine tells me the dwarf tunnels look really good on a black and white TV. Not sure why that memory stuck in his mind, but I guess something had to...
Pooka - teacher, writer, comedian, musician, geek, and full-time Knightmarian.
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

With respect to the black and white TV....

The monitor that Treguard and Majida were given to watch was black and white. I'm not sure why.
It's possible that other people had black and white monitors too.
DarkComet
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by DarkComet »

Definatly a fan of these when I was younger, and watching now I'm impressed by the fact they were properly designed and constructed rather than being a bluescreen room. Bought back fond memories of the London and York dungeons, it did - another dungeon related experience that did much to disturb me...
The Dunshelm Players
Audios plays and commentaries with a Knightmare flavour

The neighing and braying of farmyard animals follows
Naitch
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Naitch »

I really liked the Dwarf Tunnels!

I thought they added great suspense to Knightmare, especially when you heard, or occasionally saw who or indeed what was stalking the Dungeoneer.

I also liked seeing the Skeletons slumped against the wall, they added a nice creepy touch!

I think they were a great addition to Knightmare :D