Oliver Postgate dies

Disucssion of topics that are not directly related to Knightmare.
Ironlord
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Oliver Postgate dies

Post by Ironlord »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7772620.stm
Bagpuss creator Oliver Postgate has died aged 83, his family has confirmed.

Postgate, who lived in Kent, created some of the best-loved children's TV series including Ivor the Engine, the Clangers and Noggin the Nog.

His work, screened on the BBC and ITV from the 1950s to the present day, was often in collaboration with the artist and puppeteer Peter Firmin.

In a poll earlier this year, Bagpuss, a saggy pink cloth cat, was voted the best TV animal of all-time.

Postgate's partner, Naomi Linnell, confirmed he died at a nursing home near his home in Broadstairs in Kent on Monday.
No, it's not Knightmare-related news, I know; but how many of you spent your younger pre-KM years watching The Clangers, Bagpuss, Ivor The Engine and other such Smallfilms productions? I'll bet it was all of you.

I mention this because only a couple of days ago, I was watching Childrens' TV On Trial, not just to see our favourite swords-and-goblins programme mentioned; I wanted to get the whole story from 1951 (or there abouts) to the present. Unsurprisingly, Oliver Postgate and Peter Firmin were heavily featured in the programmes highlighting the 1960s and 1970s. Given that this series was made only last year and both of them looked in fine health despite their age, the news that Oliver Postgate spent his last days in a nursing home is hard to take.

With a bit of luck, and a few episodes of Noggin The Nog sent to the Golden Hall, he'll be invited to party forever in Valhalla with Tove Jansson.
Last edited by Ironlord on 10 Dec 2008, 16:19, edited 1 time in total.
I am Granitas of legend. MY NAME IS NOT AMUSING!
.:fairydust:.

Re:Oliver Postgate dies

Post by .:fairydust:. »

I am sad about this because I love bagpuss now, and when I was really young I adored Ifor the Engine, he was great!