Merlin and Hordriss

Series, Teams, History, Behind the scenes etc. - all discussed here.
AriadnesLayer
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Merlin and Hordriss

Post by AriadnesLayer »

Did they ever have any scenes together or acknowledge each other's existance?
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re:Merlin and Hordriss

Post by HStorm »

Hordriss grudgingly acknowledged Merlin's existence when giving a sorcery lesson in season 6. Other than that, I can't think of any such occasion.
Knightmare Audio Plays from The Dunshelm Players.
Velda
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by Velda »

If Merlin had been in every series of KM, I just know there would've been a scene with the two of them arguing about something! A scene that would've been stuffed full of great quotes ;D
Fidjit
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Fidjit »

I don't think they'd get on really, they spoke nothing (or not a lot) about each other. As I mentioned in a different thread, I believe Hordriss' wife had an affair with Merlin. Sidriss is a bit of a dizzy woman and Hordriss is self-centred and pompus BUT highly intelligent and powerful. And since Merlin and Sidriss have a lot in common doesn't this tell you something? ;D

Dungeoneer: (Innocently) Do you know somebody known as Merlin around here?

Hordriss: DON'T talk to me about that two-timing, prune faced old b*****d around me, thankyou!"
If the only way is onward how would you get home for tea?? :-/
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by Drassil »

(My first KM fanfic, which is available on knightmare.com, features a brief meeting between Hordriss and Merlin.)

When Hordriss gave out a Step to Chris in Series 3, it could be said that he was indirectly acknowledging Merlin's existence.

I find it fun to imagine that when Merlin gave Leo the SWORD spell, he knew that it would be needed specifically against Hordriss. Interestingly, by the end of Series 3, Hordriss was casting it himself.
Knightmare: Kid-worthy, Naasty, Inspiring, Groundbreaking, Humorous, Treguard, Mesmerising, Adult-worthy, Rewarding, Essential.
Pooka
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Pooka »

In some of my fanfics (all of them, I think), they're in league, and often act together.

Series 3 Hordriss would have abhorred Merlin, I think. After all, he wasn't a good character! The Hordriss I write for is usually the series 8 goody-two-shoes we've come to expect, and since he's "replaced" Merlin by then, I think they'd get along a lot better.
Pooka - teacher, writer, comedian, musician, geek, and full-time Knightmarian.
Mashibinbin
Staff
Staff

Post by Mashibinbin »

I see the two as permanant rivals. Whilst Merlin was always clearly on side of good albeit it in a sometimes bizarre fashion, Hordriss was full of pomposity and would never have seen himself as Merlin's equal. Merlin however, would work with him if needed and both probably would have sided together against Mogdred and Lord Fear. That's my two flagons of dungeon juice..
Carpe Diem - sieze the moment.
knightmaredave
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by knightmaredave »

I've always seen Hordriss as a good character seeing nhow he HATED Lord Fear, albedit he was a litlte hostile at first I thunk that added much more personality towards him and made him more interesting than Merlin. The systemm of Merlin was getting a bit tired by series 4 and I think they were unsure what to do with him (the same could be with Mogdred what do we do with him)
knightmaredave
BrotherStrange
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by BrotherStrange »

Fidjit wrote: Dungeoneer: (Innocently) Do you know somebody known as Merlin around here?

Hordriss: DON'T talk to me about that two-timing, prune faced old b*****d around me, thankyou!"
[LOL] They could've had a fireball duel (as of Hordriss and Grimaldine)-- not sure who'd win that though
I hadn't realised I'd entered the lunatic asylum! No doubt one day you'll be cured, you poor creature
Ironlord
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Ironlord »

Brother Strange wrote:They could've had a fireball duel (as of Hordriss and Grimaldine)-- not sure who'd win that though
Hordriss, easily, in round one. Merlin forgot his spell book.
I am Granitas of legend. MY NAME IS NOT AMUSING!
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by HStorm »

And even if he didn't, judging by his heavily-laboured performances of casting VIM, it'd probably take him around seven minutes to cast the first spell. I imagine that might be a gnat's too slow...
Velda
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by Velda »

HStorm wrote: And even if he didn't, judging by his heavily-laboured performances of casting VIM, it'd probably take him around seven minutes to cast the first spell. I imagine that might be a gnat's too slow...
Lol, I never understood why Merlin took so long to cast energy spells on the dungeoneers (particularly the one he cast on Leo - ENERGY) ...I mean, what if he'd taken a bit TOO long and the dungeoneer's health had run out before he'd finished? :o
Naitch
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Naitch »

Hello Knightfans, first post back in a while!

It's a shame that Merlin and Hordriss didn't share any scenes together.

Looking back, its also a shame that considering the Arthurian current that runs through Knightmare that Merlin wasn't more of a powerful and serious character.

I think a duel, or at least a meeting between Merlin and Hordriss would have been fantastic.

As for Hordriss, I know that he became more 'Dugeoneer friendly', but I always got the impression that he still remained slightly unaligned.
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by HStorm »

Velda wrote: I never understood why Merlin took so long to cast energy spells on the dungeoneers
Not intentional. He just had to keep pausing between letters while trying to remember what the next one was... :-\
I mean, what if he'd taken a bit TOO long and the dungeoneer's health had run out before he'd finished? :o
Then it would have been dungeoneer sausages for tea... mwuhahahahahahahaaaaaaa.

LEGAL NOTE: I should make clear that of course I am not suggesting in any way that Merlin was a cannibal or was deliberately trying to get the dungeoneer killed. Just that he was hungry. :)
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by Drassil »

Naitch wrote: Looking back, its also a shame that considering the Arthurian current that runs through Knightmare that Merlin wasn't more of a powerful and serious character.
With no disrespect to that opinion, I feel differently. I always considered Merlin to be highly powerful: the way he would appear out of thin air, disappear into thin air, know a dungeoneer's name before they'd introduced themselves, hand out and cast all manner of spells, or deny a team life-saving help if they got a single riddle wrong, left me slightly awed as a child. (Except perhaps during Series 4.) As for (lack of) seriousness, I admire the way that John Woodnutt's portrayal of Merlin was at times comically bumbling and mischievously witty, as it added originality to a potentially hackneyed character, and continues to make enjoyable viewing for me. The BBC's new series has attempted something similar by making Merlin an adolescent, and a contemporary of Arthur.
Knightmare: Kid-worthy, Naasty, Inspiring, Groundbreaking, Humorous, Treguard, Mesmerising, Adult-worthy, Rewarding, Essential.