TES: Series 8 Summarising

Fidjit
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

TES: Series 8 Summarising

Post by Fidjit »

I read Jakes Series 8 issues in The Eye Shield Magazine #50 and he noted that we should put our views together. If you have any good or bad, or what things could have been added or taken away post here if you wish.

After all guys, we are the fans and they were the creators so we should know what we wanted to see. I reckoned Series Eight was a good idea that got badly out of hand.

- The CGI graphics were good but used wrongly
- The series itself seemed far too routine, what with getting a FLOAT spell (nearly every quest) and some rooms looking almost totally identical
- Although Snapper Jack and Honesty Bartram were highly memorable characters they were too well known. Its a mix of characters that gets an audience
- Bhal-Shebah and the MireMan (IMO) were a waste of time. Bhal and Shebah either argued or were sent somewhere and never seen after that.

Its your views that count peeps, I'd like to trade barbs over this topic. Perhaps we can do more analysis over the other series'
If the only way is onward how would you get home for tea?? :-/
FwjRam
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Re:TES: Series 8 Summarising

Post by FwjRam »

Well i thught series 8 was fairly good i would of liked to see team 2 (Jewish boys)get to quest chamber as they would of encountered the Red dragon which would of been cool Lissard makes mention of this in a spy glass view
F.W JAMIESON
Eyeshield
Inoperative

Post by Eyeshield »

As I've mentioned a couple of times in TES recently, I think it's a shame Bhal-Shebah wasn't given the opportunity to interact with a dungeoneer who would pit the two parts of his personality against each other. Okay, it probably would've been a bit of a cringeworthy scene, but I'm sure it would've raised a few smiles, particularly if Gideon had been involved.

This, surely, was the whole point of Bhal-Shebah's character - that one spyglass argument in episode 5 is a poor replacement for the promise of Daniel forcing the crazy dragon to argue with itself. A long time ago I wrote a fanfic about Knightmare and Mona the Vampire that involved a scene of this nature; I put it in TES a while back, but I'm sure no one remembers it.

Bhal-Shebah and his split personality was just one new idea of many that they really didn't have time to cram into the shortened series... but I guess I've already made my feelings about series 8 starkly clear, haven't I, so I won't harp on about it again here.
This account is disabled.
My new account is TheOldenDays
DazzaS
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by DazzaS »

I read the review I noticed that the series walkthrough on thsi website says things like "same goth room as in last series". But its back to basics. Series 1-3 had similar rooms and similar situations and was quite standard how to move levels. Though the rail cart on series 3 was a beauty! People complained about the outside levels in series 4-7. So they went back to inside yet people still say its same and similar on successive quests. Series 1-3 was the same. Though I admit series 3 expanded rooms and added a few new ones here and there" Personally I liked the idea of level 3 becoming level 2. Just imagine if series 4 did this. In theory no one would get through level two because it would have been level 3 in the pervious series and no one beat the dungeon in series 3.

The only problem I had with elvel 1 in series 8 is it was so short but at least not everyone would automatically be allowed passage to level 2 if they messed up. Case in point- team 1. It showed the dungeon was not going to show mercy. That is untill......

The short cut!!!!!!!!! Why was the producers or whoeevr decided it so determined to have a winner. They were not bothered by it in series 1 or 3. It's not Dunstan or his teams fault. OK I admit they could have said they are going to do it properly but then they were kids then and you dont think of honour etc ect you just want to win.
Ooh, nasty!
Helvellyn
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by Helvellyn »

I don't think it's the same as series 1-3, though. It certainly doesn't feel at all like 1-3; too many of the rooms look far too similar (and gloomy, in the wrong way) in Series 8. It wasn't just the inside-a-dungeon aspect in the early series that made them more successful, but the way that environment was presented. The only advantage that Series 8 had was that the progression of rooms was more logical.
DazzaS
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by DazzaS »

I guess the reason it was not as gloomy as you described is becasue it was purely computer generated. I admit there was nothing like the original drawings and art from series 1-3. You really did feel like you was in a dungeon back in medieval period and genuinely scared even of Treguard someones early on.
Ooh, nasty!
AriadnesLayer
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by AriadnesLayer »

knightmaredave
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by knightmaredave »

I reckon Bhal shebah could have been used better and te miremen were a noce replacement for worn out goblins. honesty abtrum was a bit of a waste of time and itwould have been nice to see raptor in the levels more. I liked the dungeon graphics but agree it could have been made better by varying the rooms from level to level
knightmaredave
AriadnesLayer
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by AriadnesLayer »

Another thing I liked is the way that something scary would sometimes enter the room just as a dungeoneer walked out.

I'm not talking about scare tactics like goblins coming in and approaching slowly to try and get the dungeoneer out faster.

I mean sometimes the dungeoneer would actually walk out the door and then there would be a large growl, or a dragon or some other horrible thing would appear at the opposite end of the room. You'd only see it for a SPLIT second before we moved into the next room.

It makes it really scary IMO, even though deep down you know they are not really threats to the dungeoneer's game, subconsiously it makes it feel like nowhere is safe, danger is always right behind them. It helped recreate the dangerous feel of the dungeon from series 1-3 but in a different way.