the gargoyle

Series, Teams, History, Behind the scenes etc. - all discussed here.
King_Gazz
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

the gargoyle

Post by King_Gazz »

Who was the gargoyle in series 3 i think it was motley. can sum plz help me.
Blocker: PASSWORD? Advisor: Chris say red, blue, green & Grey. Chris: red, green, blue & grey. Advisor No chris red, blue. Blocker: GULP
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re:the gargoyle

Post by HStorm »

The jester from season 3 onwards was Motley.

The gargoyle in seasons 1 & 2 was called Mugg, although we don't know what the season 3 incarnation was called; he clearly wasn't the same gargoyle as his personality was quite different.
Knightmare Audio Plays from The Dunshelm Players.
King_Gazz
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by King_Gazz »

i thought it was that jester
Blocker: PASSWORD? Advisor: Chris say red, blue, green & Grey. Chris: red, green, blue & grey. Advisor No chris red, blue. Blocker: GULP
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by Drassil »

[My first logged-in visit to the forum for some time, but only a flying one.]

Hi, Gazz. I'm guessing that what you mean is: was the Series 3 Gargoyle played by Paul Valentine, who played the jester in the same series? I remember you suggesting that before.
King_Gazz wrote: Just remembered series 3 the Gargoyle and Owen were not credited but i think its Paul 'Motley' Valentine did the voice of gargoyle and Clifford 'Hordriss' Norgate for the voice of Owen
King_Gazz wrote: i wondered who did the voice of the gargoyle? i think its the fella who played motley
The Gargoyle was never individually credited on any episode, so we don't know who played him. Likewise for Series 3's talking raven. If anyone is willing to do a mouth comparison between the Gargoyle and Motley, we could use it as evidence. ;)
Knightmare: Kid-worthy, Naasty, Inspiring, Groundbreaking, Humorous, Treguard, Mesmerising, Adult-worthy, Rewarding, Essential.
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by HStorm »

Given the similarities between the Gargoyle's voice and Golgarach's, I suspect he was played by David Verrey.
Akerbie
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by Akerbie »

There was no gargoyle! There a dragon called Owen! Mind you, nobody ever made it to the end of the dugeon in Series 3, so maybe the gargoyle may have appeared after then, but I seriously doubt that!
Greetings! My name is Akerbie, and I'm on a quest for The Jigsaw Puzzle! There are many pieces to collect on my path!
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by HStorm »

Oh, there was a Gargoyle, I can promise you that. In fact, there were at least two of them (possibly three). Here are a couple of pix of it from season 2...

http://www.knightmare.com/series/2/n13.jpg
http://www.knightmare.com/series/2/124.jpg
http://www.knightmare.com/series/2/123.jpg

The green one doesn't do very much but just keeps droning "DOOM!" over and over. The red one and the blue one are both the same character - called Mugg - changing colour according to mood. It's not completely clear whether the green one is also Mugg, although personally I doubt it, as it hasn't remotely the same degree of eloquence. (And besides, there was never any mention of Mugg turning green according to mood, only blue or red.)

Here's the season 3 incarnation...

http://www.knightmare.com/series/3/105.jpg

This one clearly isn't Mugg as it has a different personality. Just as depressive, but less crotchety or volatile.
Last edited by HStorm on 12 Aug 2007, 20:50, edited 1 time in total.
Akerbie
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by Akerbie »

Gosh! I can't remember one in Series 3. I'll have to check back. I've just started watching Series 3 again today. Saw the first 4 episodes.

Thanks for the pics!
Greetings! My name is Akerbie, and I'm on a quest for The Jigsaw Puzzle! There are many pieces to collect on my path!
Ironlord
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Ironlord »

THREAD NECROMANCY ALERT!

It's for a good reason, mind, because I've been wondering about the gargoyles' voices, and who provided them.

The series 3 gargoyle appeared only once, and the opinion above says it may be David Verrey. On one hand, that's worth considering because Golgarach only ever appeared in half the quests and McGrew didn't get too many scenes - they had to give him something more to do. I can't get the idea out of my head, though, that this may be the man of a million voices, Tom Karol. To me, the gargoyle has more similarities to Olaf's voice (with Swedish Chef accent replaced by an out-there Oracle of Confusion style...)

The series 2 green gargoyle? Who knows. As it only had to say "doom... doom... doom..." it's possibly they may have roped in one of the cameramen or the bloke who makes the tea rather than one of the regular cast...

It's Mug, though, who I'm interested in finding out about, seeing as I can find no evidence that anyone's ever speculated on this. In Mug's lengthy appearance at the end of series 1, he sounds like the huge troll from series 2 with the horns, only without the electronically-altered voice - and that was Guy Standeven. The same voice appears in both Mug's appearances in series 2. So, am I right?
I am Granitas of legend. MY NAME IS NOT AMUSING!
Ironlord
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Ironlord »

Ironlord wrote: THREAD NECROMANCY ALERT!

It's for a good reason, mind, because I've been wondering about the gargoyles' voices, and who provided them.

The series 3 gargoyle appeared only once, and the opinion above says it may be David Verrey. On one hand, that's worth considering because Golgarach only ever appeared in half the quests and McGrew didn't get too many scenes - they had to give him something more to do. I can't get the idea out of my head, though, that this may be the man of a million voices, Tom Karol. To me, the gargoyle has more similarities to Olaf's voice (with Swedish Chef accent replaced by an out-there Oracle of Confusion style...)

The series 2 green gargoyle? Who knows. As it only had to say "doom... doom... doom..." it's possibly they may have roped in one of the cameramen or the bloke who makes the tea rather than one of the regular cast...

It's Mug, though, who I'm interested in finding out about, seeing as I can find no evidence that anyone's ever speculated on this. In Mug's lengthy appearance at the end of series 1, he sounds like the huge troll from series 2 with the horns, only without the electronically-altered voice - and that was Guy Standeven. The same voice appears in both Mug's appearances in series 2. So, am I right?

EDIT: so there has been some previous speculation. So make mine a second vote for Tom Karol and Guy Standeven for the S3 and S1 gargoyles...

Also, on another thread:
Drassil wrote: The Gargoyle was never individually credited on any episode, so we don't know who played him. Likewise for Series 3's talking raven.
Tom Karol for the talking raven!
I am Granitas of legend. MY NAME IS NOT AMUSING!
Canadanne
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re: the gargoyle

Post by Canadanne »

Damn, if only we'd thought to ask Tom Karol whether he voiced the grey gargoyle as well, when James interviewed him! My money's on Paul Valentine for that one, though. I also suspect he voiced the bookworm in Series 7, but it's very hard to be certain.