Re:20 years ago

Series, Teams, History, Behind the scenes etc. - all discussed here.
tomyboy
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

20 years ago

Post by tomyboy »

Knightmare started on 7 September 1987 which is twenty years ago! So what are we going to do to celebrate? Is something happening on the 7th? (What day is that?) Can we persuade ITV to do a 20th anniversary special as they did with CITV and will be doing with Tiswas?
Kieran
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Kieran »

It would be nice to mark it with something special, certainly.

A well-placed social would certainly go down rather well. I am sure ideas will build up as the year goes on.
'He's NOT a Dungeoneer, he's a VERY naughty boy!'
Naitch
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Naitch »

My 6th birthday was the day after the 2nd episode of series 1.

So, I remember it well. I watched the first episode as it was broadcast.

It would be great to mark the 20th anniversary in a nice big way, with a new documentary, or a DVD!
Last edited by Naitch on 15 Jul 2008, 15:17, edited 1 time in total.
KFan
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by KFan »

This would be a great thing to mark in special way, if people from the Knightmare community were interested in organising an event somewhere. I think a 'convention' of some point where everybody from the community is invited to come and celebrate Knightmare is long overdue anyway.

I'm sure at least one person from the original production would be interested in attending.
Fidjit
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Fidjit »

I would like that... I'd go as Fidjit, well what else?

"Hand over yer keys, yes even the ones to yer motor!"
If the only way is onward how would you get home for tea?? :-/
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Operation VIM

Post by Drassil »

tomyboy wrote:Is something happening on the 7th? (What day is that?)
7th September 2007 will be a Friday.

[I drafted this a while ago. Hopefully the extra traffic being generated by the T-shirt competition makes this a good time to share it.]

The ideal celebration of Knightmare's 20th anniversary would indeed be a convention/mass gathering, with original cast/crew members involved. It's very easy for me to sit here typing about how great that would be, but in honesty, I doubt I have the motivation and competence actually to help organise an event like that. I'm not sure how many others would admit to being in that position, though the forum has had several threads where dozens of people have enthused about the idea of a KM convention, with nothing ever actually coming of those discussions.

Now that the candid cynicism's out the way (hopefully having not riled anyone)...

In my opinion, a more realistic aim for this special anniversary year would be for fans to contribute a little extra to the Knightmare community, regardless of their usual amount, and thereby give it a boost. (Note: I'm not accusing anyone of doing too little, I'm purely advocating doing a tad more.) Here are some ideas:

- Post a bit more on this forum. It stretches back to 2002; if you browse the old threads, you could find a forgotten gem and raise it from the depths with a fresh comment, or round it off with one. We could call this endeavour the Project for Unearthing Subjects and Tying Up Loose Ends. P.U.S.T.U.L.E. for short.

- If there is a long-lost forum member whom you admire and miss, you could contact them, remind them of the significance of this year, and encourage them to drop by here and post.

- Submit something creative to the website (which of course includes The Eye Shield). For example, you could write a fanfic (or work on an unfinished fanfic, if you have one), or submit some fanart.

- Try contacting someone from the series, thank them for being part of it, point out why this year is important to Knightmare fans, and (if you feel it's appropriate to say more) politely invite them to mark it in some way, such as signing the guestbook, joining the forum, or sharing some behind-the-scenes anecdotes, even if they have done so before. Various contestants' email addresses are available on their forum profile pages, and many actors can be indirectly contacted using the suggestions on knightmare.com's FAQs page. However, I don't advocate hassling any of them. ;) Some KM alumni have moved on, and that's fair enough.

- Contact one of the TV/radio stations or publications that has honoured Knightmare in the past (e.g. Warwick Radio, Xfm, talkSPORT, Cult Times, SFX, Micro Mart), and ask if they'd be interested in marking KM's 20th anniverary with another mention.

If enough people follow one or more of those suggestions, then hopefully we can all enjoy a revitalised community by the end of 2007. (The recent T-shirt-related boost, assuming it is more than a very short-term surge of materialism ;), is a great start.) I suppose you could say that I'm rejecting 'Operation UNITE' in favour of 'Operation VIM'. I'd also like to say that I'm not looking for argument or cross words - these are simply my opinions, and may be taken or left as desired.

Thank you for reading.
Knightmare: Kid-worthy, Naasty, Inspiring, Groundbreaking, Humorous, Treguard, Mesmerising, Adult-worthy, Rewarding, Essential.
WhiteFloatingSkull
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by WhiteFloatingSkull »

For the first time on ANY website, I have a drawn contribution...
Knightmare meant THAT damned much to me! :-*

Behold, in all it's crappiness. :P {I am NO artist, 'kay!}

The greater game still waits...

THIS is my contribution for the KM 20th. ^^;;; It's about the best I could do, heh.
Last edited by Anonymous on 31 Mar 2007, 03:24, edited 1 time in total.
WoOOo, I am the floating Skull - bite my shiny cranium!!!
It still waits.
Naitch
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Naitch »

Kind of like the things I used to do on Microsoft Paint.

Quite Knice though...
JoeGrocottJames
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Knightmare RPG

Post by JoeGrocottJames »

Talking of creative things, is there any chance of reviving the Knightmare RPG from cold storage by 7th September? (Or at least be doing something towards it by then).
Madmogsue
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Madmogsue »

As nice an idea as that would be, i don't see it happening. :(
Kupo? kupopo?!?
JamesA
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by JamesA »

I remember writing Knightmare:Resurrection in 2004 to mark 10 years of the last original episode of Knightmare to appear on our screens. It's strange how that only a few years later, there'll be cause to celebrate 20 years since the beginning of Knightmare, but nonetheless I am determined to pull out all the stops to mark this occasion in whatever way I possibly can. Maybe not as intense an effort as K:R but I'll think of something.

Suggestion to mark the 25th anniversary of Knightmare hitting our screens: how about Knightmare Olympics (since this will fall on 2012, but I accept that I'm possibly thinking a bit too far here).
Last edited by JamesA on 02 Apr 2007, 15:49, edited 1 time in total.
James Aukett
Creator of the Knightmare: 25th Anniversary Documentary
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by Drassil »

I know that The White Floating Skull was keen for the rest of us to follow his fanartistic lead; plus, James has suggested connecting Knightmare and the 2012 Olympics; so in honour of both, I have created a logo - an Olympic KM-pic, one might say - for this year's anniversary. Here it is. I'm sure it will prove widely and instantly popular. ;)
Last edited by Drassil on 21 Jun 2007, 17:27, edited 1 time in total.
Knightmare: Kid-worthy, Naasty, Inspiring, Groundbreaking, Humorous, Treguard, Mesmerising, Adult-worthy, Rewarding, Essential.
PhoenixFlame
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by PhoenixFlame »

lol, well this thread has gotten an inactive member like me to post :D If people want, I'll try emailing Xfm, see if that gets us anywhere :P I'll let you know how it goes :D
Rising from the ashes once again....
dontyoulikemypie
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by dontyoulikemypie »

Grr I missed it all! Mind you, this thread died about 3 months ago, so....