Series 1 - Episode 8

Billy
Knight
Knight

Re:Series 1 - Episode 8

Post by Billy »

You knever know, really. If a full studio recording of a 1971 Doctor Who story exists, then the possibility of some unseen Knightmare footage can't be ruled out totally. Nothing that couldn't be solved through an archive search!
Malefact
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Malefact »

A lot of censors' cuts from long-lost Doctor Who stories exist, made way back in the 60s. Bearing that in mind, perhaps it's not so unreasonable to consider that Km cuts exist as well. (And if they find the missing episode of The Tenth Planet, it's a dead cert! :))
Subject to change.
Kieran
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Kieran »

It is hard to tell whether KM producers kept the outtakes, though it is certainly fair from impossible.

Outtakes from Doctor Who still exist, hours worth from 80s stories (again when DVD extras had not even been thought of) and even minor studio work from late 60s stories.

However, in some cases they simply choose not to keep outtakes out of respect to the actors involved, Peter Rogers of the Carry On legacy upholds this, minus outtakes from Columbus (I hope).

Only way we'll know is by asking the man himself.
'He's NOT a Dungeoneer, he's a VERY naughty boy!'
TomDread
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by TomDread »

Episode 8 was def. the best ep. of series 1 but does give you a suspicion if editing went on

That SHIELD spell... my theory is that the team actually encountered MOGDRED (where i got my name) in LEVEL 2 bcoz Merlin said that Mogdred lies ahead i.e Level 2 and below. However was cut-out maybe bcoz Mogdred might've gloated for soooooooooooooooooooo looooooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnggggggggg!!! :(

Also his name is in the credits. He might've tried to kill the team but would have used the spell against him... aah... i can just imagine it now... Mogdred would have said something like

"Richard ignore your quest- Mogdred's path lies below. (NILREM) Spurn it and you will face creatures beyond fear Mwhahahahahahahhahahahaah"

Er... how does that sound to evry1 here?

One last thing; Harvey Towers, the team could not use the OPPOSITE spell against the door bcoz they had not gained it yet. It wernt till they met the Gargoyle they earned it. Maybe if the team took the horn there might've been poison on the other side of the wall in Jericho 6 then maybe cast the spell to make it harmless and would use it to heal life force that's what i think anyway...
Last edited by TomDread on 16 Jul 2006, 11:06, edited 1 time in total.
TomDread
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by TomDread »

Any ideas about this?
Last edited by TomDread on 30 Jun 2006, 16:48, edited 1 time in total.
37Herbie
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by 37Herbie »

Not sure what the opposite spell would have been used for. Looked like a large pit behind the wall so maybe after the wall is blasted down with the horn the opposite spell could be used to turn the pit into a path or bridge?

Good episode for Series 1. Shame Mogdred did not get to be seen.

Outtakes and unedited quests would be quality. Maybe they could re-edit the series for DVD so that rather than individual episodes they do it so you have them as individual quests (so the lonegr quests are just straight through rather then tempral distorted - with outtakes could ahve some uber long quests!)
"Oh Dear, What a Pity, Never Mind"
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by HStorm »

I dunno, in a strange way I've grown fond of temporal disruption down the years. It was always infuriating when watching it first time, but also, it always left an audience wanting more. I still feel a tingle of that when I watch it these days.
Knightmare Audio Plays from The Dunshelm Players.
37Herbie
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by 37Herbie »

Temporal Distortion is great for TV but for DVD it would be knice to see uninterrupted quests just straight through, saves having to have all the reminders of what you've just seen 2 minutes ago from a DVD perspective!
TomDread
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by TomDread »

"Shame Mogdred did not get to be seen."

But i think he DID when they originally filmed the episode. If you look at the episodes Team 6 were in and then the early episodes of the series, you'll see it was speeded up. So therefore, Tim Child and co. depended on this team to get to Level 3. It would be boring if they died or the season ended when they were in level 2.

I think there was an extra room between when they left Merlin's chamber and entered the wellway to Level 3. Also, spells are supposed to be used on the level on which they were recieved. SHIELD seemed like a good defence against Mogdred and in the final edit we never saw the spell getting used. 1 final thing to prove my theory- Mogdred's name is in the credits. Either some idiot didn't watch the series and just typed it on purpose, or, there's something else to it. Case Closed.
Last edited by TomDread on 27 Oct 2006, 15:20, edited 1 time in total.
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by HStorm »

It seems to be generally accepted that there were scenes filmed for the last quest of season 1 that were missing from the broadcasts, and I'm sure there were.

However, while it was possible he was there, personally I don't think Mogdred was in the missing scenes, as that would surely have been far too big a moment to cut out. Yes, he was mentioned in the credits, but that doesn't necessarily mean he was there; characters getting credited in episodes they didn't appear in were a-dime-a-dozen in Knightmare. (It seems the convention might have been a gesture of acknowledgment to the actors when they had to go to all the trouble of learning their lines for a scene that ended up not happening because the dungeoneer got killed off one room earlier. John Woodnutt in particular got quite annoyed about that.)

I suspect Mogdred was going to appear in the last couple of chambers of the dungeon for an 'ultimate challenge/final confrontation' thingie.
Knightmare Audio Plays from The Dunshelm Players.
37Herbie
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by 37Herbie »

I don't think they would have put someone through to Level 3 if they had dies at some point in level 2. I remember (although it has been a while since last saw the episode) that they had the password to get down the wellway but I never could remember them getting the password so not sure if that room was edited out, yet they kept the 6 minute Folley vs. Cedric insult battle (which is very tasty I have to admit) in. Surely if they were struggling for time they would have done the standard 3 riddles with Cedric?

I think Series 1 was a big learning curve for Knightmare as you could see some of the first few quests were harsh, Team 1 had really difficult items to choose from, later series have 1 obvious worng item usually and with a bit of logic can determine which items to take even if no advice had been given. Level 2, for example, was normally fairly self explainitary which items to take. Some of the questions\riddles in Series 1 were very tough as well. Anyone elses thoughts on this series?
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by Drassil »

#37 Herbie wrote: Temporal Distortion is great for TV but for DVD it would be knice to see uninterrupted quests just straight through, saves having to have all the reminders of what you've just seen 2 minutes ago from a DVD perspective!
Temporal disruption was an astute and effective device, and a fairly unique one: Who Wants To Be A Millionaire? is the only other show I can think of that uses anything similar. However, the ringing-in of a week's 'time out' has become a redundant technique where Knightmare is concerned. Most of those owning KM recordings probably have one or more entire series, and I can't imagine them restricting themselves to one episode per week (even one episode per sitting is a struggle!). What's more, most 'rewatchers' now know broadly, if not exactly, what's going to happen next. So although the temporal disruptions carry as much nostalgia value as any other aspect of Knightmare, I too think that it would be interesting to watch quests undisrupted.
Knightmare: Kid-worthy, Naasty, Inspiring, Groundbreaking, Humorous, Treguard, Mesmerising, Adult-worthy, Rewarding, Essential.
37Herbie
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by 37Herbie »

It may be difficult to sqeeze onto a DVD but perhaps you could have the option of watch by Episdoe or watch by Quest. Any other thoughts?
Eyeshield
Inoperative

Post by Eyeshield »

This is what should have happened in level three:

Richard takes horn from the clue room, quest progresses to the Wall of Jericho as per what actually happened, Richard blows horn to get rid of wall (exactly the same as Chris in the next series), Merlin's room is revealed beyond, Mogdred appears and gloats/threatens/starts trying to kill dungeoneer, advisor (Edward) casts OPPOSITE, Mogdred turns into Merlin, Merlin tells team they've won, Treguard gives team silver spurs and congrats and then says goodbye to watchers, episode ends.

That's what I think, anyway. ;D
This account is disabled.
My new account is TheOldenDays
Pooka
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Pooka »

NILREM being a clue as it's an opposite Merlin.
Pooka - teacher, writer, comedian, musician, geek, and full-time Knightmarian.