Re:Frightening Thoughts

Series, Teams, History, Behind the scenes etc. - all discussed here.
Alex_Smith
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Frightening Thoughts

Post by Alex_Smith »

Sorry if this has been talked about before, but I need to get this off my chest.

Knightmare will be 20 years old next year. Is it just me or does that sound really strange when you say it out loud? I was 4 when it started, and I vaguely remember watching the first or 2nd episode when it was on CITV originally. In 1987. Doctor Who was still in it's original run, and was only 24 years old at the time, as opposed to nearly 44 now.

Four. I was four. Almost 20 years ago. It just doesn't seem real when it's put like that.

I started taping it when I was 6, and still have a tape from 1989 knocking around my room somewhere (which is still perfect in quality, unlike some things I taped 5 years ago which have degraded so much since, but I digress).

My question is this: Is anyone else starting to feel old? Cause I am, and it's freaking the heck out of me!
Last edited by Alex_Smith on 03 Jun 2006, 17:35, edited 1 time in total.
Billy
Knight
Knight

Post by Billy »

It'll mean that I've only got one year until I'm 20.

Certainly a lot's changed since 1987. Most people only had four channels (some still do, but that's beside the point), 'The Simpsons' was still some obscure short on The Tracy Ullman Show, and if you wanted to watch TV after midnight, then tough.

Likewise, by the time Knightmare turned 10 in 1997, there was only one KM website, only a handful of online KM fans, and it had only been three years since Knightmare ended. That's the equivalent of a show ending in 2003 now. Amazingly, absolutely nothing was done to celebrate the 10th anniversary, in fact it wasn't even mentioned in The Eye Shield despite one issue being published in the month itself.

It's mindblowing, isn't it? KM had only been gone for five years when Knightmare.com launched, and next year it'll be thirteen years...
Illusion
Knight
Knight

Post by Illusion »

Alex_Smith wrote:My question is this: Is anyone else starting to feel old? Cause I am, and it's freaking the heck out of me!
Yup, most definatly I started feeling old about 2 years ago. I dunno why exactly, perhaps because very soon I won't be entitled to a 'Young Persons' Railcard and will be too old for the target audience of many TV/radio stations. How very strange. End of yoof, I suppose.

Anyway, onwards and sideways... :)
You're on the edge of a ledge...
darkDescender
Knight
Knight

Post by darkDescender »

I've never felt old, but then I am only 21. Besides, i'm usualy too busy being depressed to feel old.
"Welcome to one of Mogdred's little playpens, dungeoneer. Play awhile...Play forever! Mwahahahahaha! Mwahahahahahahahaha!!!"
GranitasIsCute
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by GranitasIsCute »

:) I'm 12!lol
AKA Ross 'Raven's Eye' Thompson
Knightmare Audio Series
PhoenixFlame
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by PhoenixFlame »

Sometimes it does, as I'm 23, and I look back thinking wow, I can't believe that I've got this far in my life, but looking back, it does seem an awfully long time ago that it was properly on ;)
Rising from the ashes once again....
darkDescender
Knight
Knight

Post by darkDescender »

Here's a thought. Have you noticed that if you take a photo of Treguard, and a photo of Fidel Castro, then put a big cigar in treguard's mouth, you'll notice they look absolutely nothing like each other. A scary thought, but one that needed to be thought.
"Welcome to one of Mogdred's little playpens, dungeoneer. Play awhile...Play forever! Mwahahahahaha! Mwahahahahahahahaha!!!"
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by HStorm »

And did you know that if Treguard used Wyrmslayer to cut down Nelson's Column, it would tumble over and block the entrance to the Gents' lavatories in Leicester Square tube station?
Knightmare Audio Plays from The Dunshelm Players.
PhoenixFlame
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by PhoenixFlame »

Hmm, I thought Treguard's sword was called Morpheus, I swear I remember him having to give it up in one of the books, but could be wrong, or are we just talking bout the series here? Have had the books awhile! ;D
Rising from the ashes once again....
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by HStorm »

You're right, Phoenix, but we're talking about two different swords.

In the first three books, Treguard's sword was Wyrmslayer, so-named after he used it to kill the dragon Bealwit.

In the fourth book, he offered up the dragon-blade as a gift to a Warlord in the Middle East, as a gesture of gratitude for hospitality. Later in the journey, he obtained another magical blade that he called Morpheus, which he rather conveniently 'plucked from a dream'.

I defy anyone to accuse Dave Morris of coming up with cheap, easy plot devices! ;)

Back on topic, I turned 31 a couple of weeks ago, and even in my case, the start of Knightmare was two-thirds of my life ago. It's bewildering to think about.

All of this gives me an idea for a minor trivia question for the twenty-year KM swots like myself; before defeating Bealwit, what name did Treguard originally give his sword?
Last edited by HStorm on 14 Jun 2006, 21:48, edited 1 time in total.
darkDescender
Knight
Knight

Post by darkDescender »

"Before defeating Bealwit, what name did Treguard originally give his sword?"

Ahem...Aquillo.

Yes, I know, I'm great. Give it up for me.
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by HStorm »

*Applauds.*
darkDescender
Knight
Knight

Post by darkDescender »

*takes a bow*
kev_hamster
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by kev_hamster »

One good thing about being older, though.

As I turn 25 in December, from February, I'll no longer have a 'young drivers excess' forced upon my car insurance.

Sad I know, but it's one comforting thought!
Naitch
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Naitch »

Yes Aquillo.

Funny, I was reading Can You Beat The Challenge only the other day!

The story is still as powerful as it was way back when.

Another peice of triva.

What was the sword that replace Wyrmslayer in book 4 The Sourcerers Isle?

I'll give whoever gets it right a big slobbery kiss!

Esp if you look like Majida ;)