Fear (no, not HIM)

Series, Teams, History, Behind the scenes etc. - all discussed here.
Idiustidius
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Knightmare's most frightening bit?

Post by Idiustidius »

Has anyone else noticed how truly frightening some of Knightmare is?

What's everyones most frightening bit.

I think series 3 is obviously the best series, and also i think the most frightening bit is the beige dwarf tunnels in level 3, really wierd humming noise in the background.

These tunnels may seem a dull choice, but they lead everyone to their deaths, like the green mile leads to the electric chair.
And why are they beige? this in ways makes it more terrifying.
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re:Knightmare's most frightening bit?

Post by HStorm »

I felt a terrible sinking dread when I first saw season 3 back in '89. Back then, the hauntings really freaked me out, especially the sound they made, and the sudden way they'd rush across the screen and seem to 'breathe' right down the dungeoneer's neck.

Most frightening of all for me was probably the cavern with the incredibly narrow bridge where Ross died. I felt a terrible panic with every step he took, increased tenfold by the pursuit of the axe-haunting. The worst bit was seeing him get so close to the exit, and then feeling a sudden shock, followed by a terrible, cold calm, as he tumbled over the side.

Who'da thunk a room with so few features could be so effective?

Admittedly these days it doesn't affect me half as much, partly because I'm old enough to take it less seriously, but mainly because I always know in advance exactly what's going to happen. But it scared me a lot first time out.
Knightmare Audio Plays from The Dunshelm Players.
dazcouz
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by dazcouz »

I agree Series 3 (1989) was such a good series and probably the best also Series 2 (1988) was excellent as well.
As for the scariest bits, probably seeing the Catacombite (the huge monster which has a skull connected onto its legs and arms) for the first time and the Medusa room, mainly cause of the eerie noise and as we already have seen what happens when you look at it (I mean, that team that all got turned to stone!)
or what about the Corrido of Blades (Ultimate Killer!)
:'(
Daz
Emii
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Emii »

The image of Lord Fear appearing metres away from Julie gave me nightmares (seriously), and I've never forgotten it - it still has the frightening quality now.
"The alarm, Master! The opposition's tracked them! Oh good grief...look - Lord Fear's frozen Christopher!"
Malefact
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Malefact »

The scariest bit ever for me was the demise of Tony in series 2. Mogdred's first kill - and a truly terrifying one at that, especially for a six-year old.
Subject to change.
Naitch
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Naitch »

Hi Guys

Good Question.

There's been quite a few fwightening bits on KM

I think seeing Knightmare for the first time was both really special AND frightening.

The goblin horn used to frighten me.

The catocombite was really frightning.

Ariadne used to frighten me.

For pure jump out of the seat frighteningness (?) the Snapdragons gave me a shock.

But the most frightening bit for me by far was The Automaton. For some reason that just used to terrify me!

I even had Knighmares about it, but then I was only 6!

Even now watching the old tapes, it still gets me going...
Naitch
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Naitch »

Although, having said that, Gideon from series 8 took some beating...
GranitasIsCute
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by GranitasIsCute »

Quite funny really, I've never ever been scared watching an episode of Knightmare and I'm now 12. I started watching it a few years ago (the repeats on Challenge). I enjoy Knightmare for the great adventures and technology involved, I've never been scared.
AKA Ross 'Raven's Eye' Thompson
Knightmare Audio Series
Thanatos
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by Thanatos »

The music often used round about series six in moments of immediate deadly peril to the dungeoneer did a lot to make such situations frightening when I was six or seven years old.
"The Tory Party is the cream of society: rich, thick and full of clots." - anonymous
Nickuk1987
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by Nickuk1987 »

Scariest bit for me was when that lad in series 8 died in the corridor of blades and that huge red light filled the whole corridor. It looked like a scene from 'Saw'. Also that Axe Haunting from series 3 scared me a bit as well >:(
Willowherb
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by Willowherb »

Hordriss' face starting to appear in the wall over the clue table (Simon's team, season 3), the sinister music and Treguard saying something like "Warning team, a presence is making itself felt and I fear it's not a pleasant one..."
Ironlord
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Ironlord »

Nickuk1987 wrote: Scariest bit for me was when that lad in series 8 died in the corridor of blades and that huge red light filled the whole corridor.
"Huge red light"? I always figured it looked more like someone had thrown paint all over the camera...

I'm surprised they didn't do that (rather crude) effect before. Maybe they only put it in that time to shut Gideon up.
I am Granitas of legend. MY NAME IS NOT AMUSING!
GranitasIsCute
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by GranitasIsCute »

Agreed - Gideon was annoying lol
He kept saying "RUN RUN RUN" in a stupid voice which is so weird it makes me laugh :o
AKA Ross 'Raven's Eye' Thompson
Knightmare Audio Series
ross
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by ross »

The thing about Knightmare is that it could frighten you at unexpected moments. A recent example was when I was watching a knightmare repeat on challenge, sitting down, and sitting back in my seat, relaxed, then a spy glass scene appears, suddenly Lord Fear dips his hand into the adventure, I yell out "urgh" (or something like that,) the rest of the scene has me on the edge of my seat.

Looking at it on series guides it must have been:

Series 5, Team 3: Alan, Jim, Nic and Mark from St. Albans
Quest for the Sword - Duration: 47mins.
Last edited by ross on 27 Nov 2006, 08:27, edited 1 time in total.
Pooka
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Pooka »

The floor puzzles were always frightening. The Causeways, even if the path to take was obvious, never fail to raise a shiver, and the Corridor of Blades (even though it's clear what to do) causes a good few hair-rasing moments.

PYCR is also pretty terrifying and, as Thanatos said, with the incidental music, much more so than without. The music, especially in the final strains, means 'the dungeoneer is about to get through or die', and makes you very, very tense!
Pooka - teacher, writer, comedian, musician, geek, and full-time Knightmarian.