BBK

For all discussion and ideas for bringing back classic Knightmare.
Pooka
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

BBK

Post by Pooka »

Years and years ago, Paul McIntosh - through the medium of TES - started the Bring Back Knightmare campaign. Yeah, there were only 16 readers of TES, and so the campaign was fairly unsuccessful, but the concept of BBK started and was fuelled.

This website, along with other Internet resources - such as NKTP, The Homepage of Knightmare, and perhaps most importantly, bbk.co.uk - gave the BBK campaign new life, with the relaunch of BBK, as well... much more and widespread interest than before. The original petition, which ended up gaining 2000+ signatures, got absolutely nowhere, despite all our hopes that it would.

Then along came Elessar and thegreatestquest.co.uk, which evolved into Mystara and bbk.co.uk, which re-re-started the whole campaign, again with new hope and a much more realistic goal: get Knightmare back onto our TVs, in whatever form.

Okay, eventually we sort-of achieved our aim; Knightmare got repeated on Challenge? *and* Televirtual started making Knightmare-VR. This appeased both parties: people who wanted old KM repeats *and* people who wanted a new series of KM (even if the KM-VR pilot wasn't all that great, it was better than nothing at all).

But we are stuck.

I'm breaking my lurker status and posting this here because the whole spirit of BBK - the guiding light behind the community - appears to be rapidly dissipating. If we take a look at the status of Knightmare for a second, we'll notice that Knightmare has been shown on Challenge? for some time, and that their rights have to end some time in the future - and that will probably be soon, as well.

Plus, KM-VR, whatever you think of it, is not being made any more. Suddenly, the target of persuasion - originally Anglia *and* TV stations - has switched to the company that originally made KM, Broadsword/Televirtual itself. They got a huge Lottery grant to produce KM-VR, and we got nothing except a mediocre pilot which only prompted lukewarm interest from both TV companies and fans.

Mystara is still running bringbackknightmare.co.uk (go and look if you're unsure), and surely we have hundreds of visitors to knightmare.com, AND to the forum, so why has the spark of BBK gone? And where has it gone?

Sure, we are still making the RPG, but with that and the increase in fan-made videos *and* the number of people that are remembering and/or coming to view KM for the first time, thanks to Challenge?, surely we can do more than appease a small fanbase...

It's time we, as a united community, breathed new life and hope into the ailing BBK campaign and reanimated it - we need to create more and more awareness of BBK, because the goals we were aiming for have faded, and we've descended into a world of petty squabbles and fading nostalgia. If we don't unite once again behind the banner of BBK, then we'll never get Knightmare back, which is what we want!

We *almost* had what we were originally aiming for, but it's slipped through our outstretched fingers, and we need to catch it before we fall.

New series, more repeats, DVDs, RPG, whatever... we need action here, and we need it soon.

Let's restart BBK.
Pooka - teacher, writer, comedian, musician, geek, and full-time Knightmarian.
Becxsmagic
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Re:BBK

Post by Becxsmagic »

I've already signed the petition, but great, we should restart BBK. Fantastic idea Pooka! ;D
Whereever you go, there you are
Skarkill
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Skarkill »

You've got my 100% backing Pooka. Lets try and get the BBK campaing restarted and re-focused.
It's The Irons For You. LOVELY
Becxsmagic
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Becxsmagic »

I think it's a fantastic campaign and I've decided I'm going to pester my friends to sign. We should get a lot of support behind this. ;)
DarkComet
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by DarkComet »

I'm all for seeing this campaign relaunched. For what it's worth, you have my backing.
The Dunshelm Players
Audios plays and commentaries with a Knightmare flavour

The neighing and braying of farmyard animals follows
Snowwiewolf
Knight
Knight

Post by Snowwiewolf »

My mom found bbk and then I went to see for my self and found the website then the forum. So without it I wouln't be here...
I'll try and get some of my friends to sign it :) maybe even show them some videos :D
Last edited by Snowwiewolf on 20 Oct 2005, 08:03, edited 1 time in total.
I'm an alien, you're a berry picker!
Becxsmagic
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Becxsmagic »

I think I'm slowly converting my dad, he likes the spoof of Bohemian Rhapsody on the "I had a silly idea bit"
I'll try and bully my best friend into signing, but it'll be easier said than done...
Darren
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Darren »

You have my backing too, i'll try get some of my college friends to sign the petition also!
Pooka
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Pooka »

My current musings on the situationa re now on www.bringbackknightmare.co.uk if anyone's interested.
Pooka - teacher, writer, comedian, musician, geek, and full-time Knightmarian.
Becxsmagic
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Becxsmagic »

Erm, can anyone who can read it please give me the gist of it, I'm very curious. :)

(After reading short and sweet version: WOOHOO!)
Last edited by Becxsmagic on 26 Oct 2005, 20:03, edited 1 time in total.
TuragaNuju
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by TuragaNuju »

Short And Sweet Version:

Visit: www.bringbackknightmare.co.uk
Sign The Petition
March Outside The Gates Of Anglia Until They Bring Back KM!!!!!
Treguard: "Ooh.. nasty. Still, We Can Have A Toilet Break Now - I'm Bursting!"
PunmiesterWhiteley
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by PunmiesterWhiteley »

I think I signed the petition a few years ago. Do I have to sign it again?
You remind me of all the other men I've met in my life. All helmet and no brains.

(Stiletta to Mike)
Becxsmagic
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Becxsmagic »

If before 4th September 2004 I think will you have to re-sign it.
Billy
Knight
Knight

Post by Billy »

Right day, wrong year- 4th September 2002. There was a fault of sorts where they lost all their 2408 signatures. A few are available at Web Archive (here and here) though, as you can see, not that many.

Still, they have over double that now.
JamesA
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by JamesA »

I'm pretty sure I've signed it before, but, what the hell....

I really think that to regenerate this whole project is a terrific idea and credit is due to everyone involved in this. If I wasn't so involved in work at the moment, I might have been able to lend a helping hand, but once again, fantastic efforts, and if you can bring this petition back to life, then surely Knightmare can come back to life one day as well!
James Aukett
Creator of the Knightmare: 25th Anniversary Documentary