Adventure game studio

Knightmare inspired creations from the community.
Snowcat
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Adventure game studio

Post by Snowcat »

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/

Came across this while messing around with MOTAS ( http://qwaz.proboards22.com/index.cgi?b ... 1077476606 ) , kudos to roxxatherton for finding it!

Seems capable of creating 'Monkey Island' style point and click adventures, almost tailor-made for the much asked for Knightmare video game.

The really great thing about this is that the program is free-ware and bloody powerful to boot! Gonna give it a try after the RPG filming and see what can be got from it...

Anyone else? 'Show me yours, I'll show you mine?' (Quiet at the back!)
There are but 2 rules in this realm:-
1) He who sees first is the winner...
2) He who is seen first is toast...
Trial_by_Spikes
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Re:Adventure game studio

Post by Trial_by_Spikes »

Interesting.
Oh look there's J.G. Ballard in a burnt-out fridge with a spitfire pilot.
Thequietone
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by Thequietone »

I'm gonna make a knightmare game on AGS when I'm done on my current game. NEone interested?
Latecomer to every interesting thread and hardly ever here, not really a forum person and not a good writer either, often misphrases or says totally the wrong thing..... forgive me people, I'm u
DarkComet
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by DarkComet »

Hell yeah! I've got some cool AGS projects on the go, and I'm seriously considering a Knightmare one. I've got all the know how to make a decent game, and I've come up with a format that will conform to Adventure Gaming standards whilst sticking to the Knightmare 'feel'.

For example, there could be five 'chapters' - the first four will be attempted in any order via a quest room, and in the event of death the quest will stop and be closed off, so the player moves onto another one. When the four quests are over (whatever the outcome), the final quest will begin, which will revolve around something like stopping a disaster befalling the dungeon, for example the Red Dragon featured in Series 6.

I would try to feature the best elements from the show's history - the original life force helmet meter, Lord Fear and Lissard, floor puzzles, crazy characters, a mixture of outdoor and indoor locations, etc.

It's all 'maybe/maybe not' at the moment, and I've got another project I wanna finish first, but I'm seriously considering something like this in the near future. That is, unless Tim Child or anyone else kicking around would rather I didn't for legal reasons such as copyright (which I could understand).

Would there be any interest in playing something like this?
Last edited by DarkComet on 01 Mar 2005, 19:42, edited 1 time in total.
The Dunshelm Players
Audios plays and commentaries with a Knightmare flavour

The neighing and braying of farmyard animals follows
Thequietone
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Re:A better game than I could produce

Post by Thequietone »

Wow, could you really make a Knightmare game that good? I'm certainly interested :)
Latecomer to every interesting thread and hardly ever here, not really a forum person and not a good writer either, often misphrases or says totally the wrong thing..... forgive me people, I'm u
DarkComet
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by DarkComet »

It'll take a lot of work and time, but potentially it can be done.

I'm working on another game at the moment, and I've got exams coming up but I'll see if I can get around to doing a one room demo. Maybe something simple, like a floor puzzle or something.

Don't hold yer breath though.
The Dunshelm Players

Thequietone
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by Thequietone »

That was quick!!! :o

Ok, I'm sure lots of ppl will be pleasewd to hear this :)
tomyboy
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by tomyboy »

As soon as you finish a game, I'd be happy to play it.
dontyoulikemypie
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by dontyoulikemypie »

I'd love to build or play a game like that. When I had my Atari ST I made a point and click type game of Knightmare but I can't remember what the template software was called, drew all the artwork myself and everything, and tested it to death to make sure there were no bugs, then I got all paranoid cos it took me months to do and decided to back it up to a 2nd floppy. Somehow between copying, it not only failed to reach the 2nd disc, but it lost the original file too! I was devastated.
I've downloaded this software now but don't think I'll have time to make anything so complex now! Anyone else having a go, I wish them all the best and offer my testing services!
DarkComet
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by DarkComet »

Ok. Now then now then now then.

I've been giving it a bit of a think, and I've decided. After I've finished The Return of Frank Malone, my Reality-on-the-Norm game, I'm going to start a Knightmare project. Here are my plans.

It's going to (hopefully) feature:

- Four seperate quests, with the standard three levels in each. The first three can be undertaken in any order, and the fourth quest will vary depending on whether the first three were successful or not. Differences will lie in the ending - either just letting the dungeon dissolve in the classic 180 Phase Shift, or a Series 7 style Save Knightmare Castle scenario.

- Treguard and Lord Fear, guarenteed. I haven't decided on which advisor yet, but I'm seriously considering bringing Pickle back as Majida irriates the living hell out of me.

- A 'best of both' format for locations.
First level: Wolfenden Town and Dwarf Tunnels
Second level: Series 8 Dungeons & Tower of Goth
Third level: Linghorn and Marblehead Palace

(This should satisfy both lovers of open AND closed spaces)

- Differences in transport between levels - wellways, Smirky, AND (hopefully) mine carts.

- Old characters and maybe one or two new ones.

- Spyglass sequences.

- Puzzles and action sequences. Yes, action sequences. Play your cards right and the Corridor of Blades certainly.

- The old Life Force animation. Nothing else touches it.

- Possibly, if I can generate enough interest and if AGS can handle it, some 3D sequences for the Eye Shield.

In the event of death, you can either return to the start of the level or the Quest Chamber (with the door to the quest you were on closing off). Since each level will probably be a total of 15-20 minutes in length (meaning each quest will be roughly 45-50 minutes long), this won't be too much of a problem, although I'm sure I can do and autosave for the more arcade orientated sequences.

~

Now. This is a lot. And believe me, it's gonna be bloody difficult and very time consuming to try for everything and pull it off. But I believe in aiming high, and I think I can really do this. If I get enough positive feedback from these ideas, then I'll start work on a technical demo post haste. Once an inventory and system interface is done, I'll be able to release it as a template for others to use.

So then... it's over to you.
Last edited by DarkComet on 21 Apr 2005, 21:00, edited 1 time in total.
The Dunshelm Players

Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by Drassil »

That sounds great, particularly the range of elements from across the series that you plan to include. Good luck!
Knightmare: Kid-worthy, Naasty, Inspiring, Groundbreaking, Humorous, Treguard, Mesmerising, Adult-worthy, Rewarding, Essential.
Thequietone
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by Thequietone »

That sounds completely amazing, I can't wait to see it!!!
;D

Best of luck on creation of this AWESOME project!
Altairst8te
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by Altairst8te »

Ok! whats the score with this game?

is it still on? i will help if it is :D
DarkComet
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by DarkComet »

Currenty I'm working on the technical script - level layouts, encounters, dialogues, interface design, ya know. The boring thorough stuff ya gotta do if all is to go shipshape.

Plus, I'm honing my skills at another fan project which is due to see the light of day quite shortly.

In terms of help, I've got a couple of dudes helping me with sprite art, backgrounds and all things related to drawing. Having said that, I will need third part feedback on what I'm doing. Plus people in the know about Knightmare to correct any KM related slipups and give advice about characters.

Thanks for the interest. It should be worth the wait.
The Dunshelm Players

Altairst8te
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by Altairst8te »

I would defo like to help playtest :D

My son keeps asking if there ever was a proper knightmare game that has the look and feel of the tv series and hes only 5 :D