Knightmare VR ruined the classic

A place to discuss Knightmare-VR, a planned revivial of Knightmare
sorcerer
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Knightmare VR ruined the classic

Post by sorcerer »

Knightmare seems to have been ruined because of this new technology, i think it would be more exciting if they had kept it to it's original standard. I must say it would be more exciting to see a dungeoneer with a helmet on a 3 guiders guiding rather than being able to see. Bring back blue screen technology and the original.

I am sure there are people out there that feel the same way as i do.
Pagan and proud (Wicca/Sorcery)
HarveyTowers
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Re:Knightmare VR ruined the classic

Post by HarveyTowers »

Knightmare can pride itself on having been at the forefront of new technology, VR is an example of this and the natural evolution for KM.

The presentation style in the pilot is just for the pilot, Tim Child has confirmed this and many things, such as the number of advisors and the anti-chamber willl be subject to change should it get commissioned. But the helmet is gone and having a dungeoneer who can see gives a whole new dimension to KM.

KMVR is the result of hardwork and hope from many forum members and Tim Child himself, I like many others hope that it becomes a reality.
Good night out there; whatever you are!
Lord_Bob

Post by Lord_Bob »

Knightmare is just that, a classic, the problem is that in the ten years since Knightmare left our screens the technology has become outdated and would be impossible to use once more even if the VR team wanted to. As Harvey says, KM was always pioneering technology and returning how it used to be would ruin the whole feel of it.

There are more people that feel like you do sadly, but you have to compromise on this. Would you prefer it not to come back at all? The fact is that if we want KM back it has to develop and adapt and there's no saying that VR isn't going to be good how it is. All we've seen is a pilot sequence with a rough presentation style in it, wait to see if it gets comissioned and see what it's like once it gets started.
WillsOfDoom
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by WillsOfDoom »

Even if KMVR isn't as good as we all hope, I don't think anything could ever ruin the originals. They are already well established as classics. With a bit of luck VR could be too.
I like my telly scary, and very dungeonish.
LordF
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by LordF »

After Series 8's graphics, KM couldn't really improve on them.

VR seems to be the way forward and it will continue the legend.

Still I see no problem with it to be honest, thats my opinion.
LordF's DA Account
LordF's LiveJournal
Also known as Lord Fear
Kieran
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Kieran »

There have been many topics made about the new VR technology, and I doubt I can say anything new than what has already been said before.

Doubtless TC is delighted you enjoyed the show so much, am sure you can have a bit of faith in the production to bring back some original KM feel to a new environment.

New tech has always = Knightmare, and this is 2004 after all.
'He's NOT a Dungeoneer, he's a VERY naughty boy!'
Fidjit
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Fidjit »

From the looks of his images some of the previous chambers might return...

I'd love to see the Corridor of Blades making a comeback, and to compensate for being able to see the dungeoneer must have to tackle circular saws at faster intervals...
If the only way is onward how would you get home for tea?? :-/
BrianApocalypseIII
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by BrianApocalypseIII »

sorcerer wrote: Knightmare seems to have been ruined because of this new technology, i think it would be more exciting if they had kept it to it's original standard. I must say it would be more exciting to see a dungeoneer with a helmet on a 3 guiders guiding rather than being able to see. Bring back blue screen technology and the original.

I am sure there are people out there that feel the same way as i do.
I think that it is too modern, but going back to old skool would be less good. I think that somewhere in between would be better...
Fidjit
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Fidjit »

As Ayrton Senna once said, "I only see the future, the past is just numbers to me..."
Darren
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Darren »

I don't think the pilot spoiled anything! I think its good, but just needs a few changes made, like the music, and maybe a few of the graphics and such, but the pilot is just a pilot, it is bound to have some changes before its released. I don't think i can comment anymore on Knightmare VR untill its actually out
KFan
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by KFan »

I do agree with 'sorcerer' in a way, but that's most likely due to not having a confirmed format for the new Knightmare yet.

I'm sure all of us (including Tim Child) would have preferred for KM never to have ended in the first place, but sadly it did. You have to also bear in mind that if the show had continued to this day, it would almost certainly have been using VR technology of some kind by now anyway. Perhaps that way though, changes would have occurred slowly over the years, as things moved on.

But the past can't be changed. Knightmare ended 10 years ago, and some of the people in this community have spent most of that time trying to bring KM back (not literally). I think everyone has to give it a chance, and coming out with statements such as 'Knightmare VR ruined the classic' is a little premature, when you consider that all we have seen so far is a pilot.

I've certainly learned to give KM VR a chance, despite any previous statements I may have made on this forum. If the show is good, we will enjoy it, and if it does not do the originals justice, it certainly will never ruin the originals for me. Don't forget that KM needs to attract a new audience too, many of which will not have even seen the originals (They don't know what they missed as a child ;D).
Fidjit
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Fidjit »

I tried to bring Knightmare back as an RPG just like Kieran did. The FMP was not to begin until Easter 2004, But I started 17th December 2003, giving me enough time for pre-production and renting of TC's props.

I really enjoyed the entire project and my main goal now is to set up my own studio experimenting with Chromakey and Blue screen technology and possibly come up with a few ideas...
beveryafraid
Creator of Knightmare

Post by beveryafraid »

Merry Christmas everyone

http://www.televirtual.com/xmas
play the endgame and play only to win
TheBrollachan
Knight
Knight

Post by TheBrollachan »

Ah so that's what you look like. :P
Twitter: https://twitter.com/SmokeHits
Keeper of the original modellers' cast of the Brollachan.
Malefact
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Malefact »

*reduces The Brollachan to kit form* Behave! :)

Thanks for the e-card, bva. Have a good one and thanks for all your ongoing work. Here's hoping that 2005 will be The Year. :)
Subject to change.