Re:Forum Concern...

Any feedback, questions or ideas for this forum and website.
Kieran
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Kieran »

The Wispy Wit wrote: I'm also surprised Emii wasn't chosen!

Emily is not currently using there forums on a regular basis, but as FrightKnight says, only room for two sadly.
'He's NOT a Dungeoneer, he's a VERY naughty boy!'
SemtexJack
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by SemtexJack »

One thing needs to be addressed and this is a problem with appointing 'old hands' to the task.

There will always come a time when an arguement will begin between a Knewbie and a regular. It will not neccesarily be the Knewbie's fault and s/he may respond negatively to the .....oh hell. Not explaining this well, example time.

Hypothetically speaking. A thread is started with a Knewbie stating his opinion on a random wall monster. Emii (No offense for using your name Emii but you're the first person that came to mind. Sorry) responds in a sarcastic manner which the Knewbie takes the wrong way and replies with an offensive statement which Emii then replies to and things get put of hand.....

So, you have the Knewbie and Emii. Both are at fault now as both continued the arguement, no one really started it, it was a misunderstanding. Both believe that they have done no wrong as the other started it.

What do you do? A regular like Emii has respect here, the Knewbie hasn't had a chance to get to know anyone. How would Emii react to being warned and potentially banned from the forum by her friends?

It's a difficult situation. I hope all can be unbiased but I can see new moderators from the forum regulars potentially being a new problem.
Lok'Tar Ogar puny Human
Kieran
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Kieran »

Well Emily wouldn't be banned for doing such a thing anyhow. But the top prority for me is to remain unbiased.

Everyone has equal right to be here, whether you've been here for 5 years, 5 months, 5 weeks or 5 minutes.

I have many good friends within the community (indeed my girlfriend is here!), yet when on the forum, I'd treat everyone with fairness and equality. It is the same situation in the KM chat room, which I am an operator of, you have to view a situation based on the facts presented, not the people involved.
Last edited by Kieran on 29 Jun 2004, 17:29, edited 1 time in total.
SemtexJack
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by SemtexJack »

Which I hope you can both do. It is unfortunate that it has had to get to this stage in the first place.

If a fair and unbiased outlook on things can be achieved and it helps the forum to return to the friendly community I occasionally used to lurk in then I'm all for it.

Just wanted to raise an issue that could potentially have errrr arisen (can I use two derivitives of 'rise' in one sentence? Oh well I have and I'm sticking to it. Who needs the rules of grammar?)

Best of Luck to you both.
Lok'Tar Ogar puny Human
Malefact
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Malefact »

You raise a good point, Semtex Jack. In a nutshell, you're talking about bias due to longevity, reputation, peer groups etc.

I try not to be biased. If an issue is brought to my attention, I will look at it as objectively and with as much neutrality as I can. After all, I have promised to do the best job I can - and I work for everyone.
Subject to change.
SemtexJack
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by SemtexJack »

Thank you Maelfact. As I say, I hope a situation like this never arises and that everyone can just get on.

Hell if it can work here then there is no reason that the entire world can't live together and in peace......maybe if all the dictators in the world had grown up with Knightmare we wouldn't have problems and wars as we do :)

Interesting idea for a piece of research....."Does Knightmare produce more free minded and accepting individuals?"

Or maybe not!
Lok'Tar Ogar puny Human
Malefact
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Malefact »

Well, liking Knightmare IS a sign of a superior intellect. ;D
Subject to change.
SemtexJack
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by SemtexJack »

I've been talking to one of my best mates. He's 16, was born in 1988. He was but 6 when Knightmare vanished from our screens :'( He has grown up in a world with no Knightmare.

This could be a sign of the times. People often say that kids now have shorter attention spans and less intellect than those that were born in the late 70's and early 80's.

Could it be a coincidence that we grew up with an intelligent programme such as Knightmare? I think not!

(Just a note. This is not a serious post and I really mean no offense to anyone)
Lok'Tar Ogar puny Human
Illusion
Knight
Knight

Post by Illusion »

Semtex Jack wrote:So, you have the Knewbie and Emii. Both are at fault now as both continued the arguement, no one really started it, it was a misunderstanding. Both believe that they have done no wrong as the other started it.

What do you do? A regular like Emii has respect here, the Knewbie hasn't had a chance to get to know anyone. How would Emii react to being warned and potentially banned from the forum by her friends?
As this situation is a dispute over a specific topic (rather than a long term dispute against members) I'd post a termination message and lock the thread.
You're on the edge of a ledge...
HarveyTowers
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by HarveyTowers »

My full support to the Mod Squad!
Good night out there; whatever you are!
TheBrollachan
Knight
Knight

Post by TheBrollachan »

So Kieran & Malefact are now moderators of the looney bin General Discussion forum. Hopefully atleast one of you will be online sometime during the day as I don't think I can stand having another case of 2 nutters loose on the board (not you two).

I would offer you both a glass of champaigne to celebrate, but as I'm skint will a glass of tap water do? ;)
Twitter: https://twitter.com/SmokeHits
Keeper of the original modellers' cast of the Brollachan.
Malefact
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Malefact »

Many thanks. :)

I aim to check the forum daily (as I've always tried to do), barring unforseens. If one of us isn't around to deal with a problem, hopefully another will be.

Tap water is fine, thanks - I'm teetotal. :D
Subject to change.
Kieran
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Kieran »

I am generally around most times of the dya at the moment, as I am currently working on RPG matters the PC needs me quite a lot! Or rather, I need the PC quite a lot.

Thank you for the tap water, it certainly cannot be any worse than Blackpools water, so it may make a nice change!
FrightKnight
Knight
Knight

Post by FrightKnight »

Although this is steering off-topic, I have to menion that Preston water at my old flat was disgusting, when you had to let 3 litres go by before you could get something you could drink.

Chester water is brilliant, though. Can't fault it.
"A rotting pie! Oh no, I'm dead!"
SemtexJack
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by SemtexJack »

Hereford's water isn't too bad, as long as we don't get too much sun and the water table drops....

Hang on....

Chester! CHESTER!!!!!! Grrrrrrrr!
Lok'Tar Ogar puny Human