Re:Knew KM VR Pictures

A place to discuss Knightmare-VR, a planned revivial of Knightmare
beveryafraid
Creator of Knightmare

Post by beveryafraid »

The live Knightmare VR gameplay session in London was really very revealing. We played with one dungeoneer who navigated the new virtual dungeon by standing in front of a 3 metre diameter parabolic dish, or Visiondome which gave him/her an immersive first person viewpoint as they moved through the dungeon.
The navigation method was via two waist high joysticks, though for production we'd hope to come up with something more intuitive. We played with only one adviser, who was stationed at a table-top monitor showing an isometric god's eye view of the dungeon below.

The gameplay was in most respects excellent, with the quality of the challenge forcing the dungeoneer/adviser relationship to engage. I think however that it may be even better with two advisers?

The play testers were year sevens from St George's Hanover Square school, Westminster, and year eights from St Marylebone school.

Most other paired teams said they found the experience quite scarey, and it sounded that way!

In the games room one entire wall was taken up with a huge screen capable of switching up dozens of different views in the dungeon. The parabolic (a small version of this is featured on the website, and the top-down were at the back of the auditorium.

Hugo Myatt, complete with costume was present in person and stood by the advisers with hints and tips.

Mark Knight had recorded his part in America. Other parts were played by Nick Collett, and I did a brief and not-to-be repeated guest slot as the Ogre.
Louise Milford was also present and as the elf-maid Ellisandre, grilled the teams from her voice-over station in a nearby office

So does it work?

Oh yes, and in many ways it's just as atmospheric, and certainly more frightening than where we left things in 94.

Will it be taken up for broadcast?

Too early to say.
play the endgame and play only to win
beveryafraid
Creator of Knightmare

Post by beveryafraid »

The live Knightmare VR gameplay session in London was really very revealing. We played with one dungeoneer who navigated the new virtual dungeon by standing in front of a 3 metre diameter parabolic dish, which gave him/her an immersive first person viewpoint as they moved through the dungeon.
The navigation method was via two waist high joysticks, though for production we'd hope to come up with something more intuitive. We played with only one adviser, who was stationed at a table-top monitor showing an isometric god's eye view of the dungeon below.

The gameplay was in most respects excellent, with the quality of the challenge forcing the dungeoneer/adviser relationship to engage. I think however that it may be even better with two advisers?

The play testers were year sevens from St George's Hanover Square school, Westminster, and year eights from St Marylebone school.

Most other paired teams said they found the experience quite scarey, and it sounded that way!

In the games room one entire wall was taken up with a huge screen capable of switching up dozens of different views in the dungeon. The parabolic (a small version of this is featured on the website, and the top-down were at the back of the auditorium.

Hugo Myatt, complete with costume was present in person and stood by the advisers with hints and tips.

Mark Knight had recorded his part in America. Other parts were played by Nick Collett, and I did a brief and not-to-be repeated guest slot as the Ogre.
Louise Milford was also present and as the elf-maid Ellisandre, grilled the teams from her voice-over station in a nearby office

So does it work?

Oh yes, and in many ways it's just as atmospheric, and certainly more frightening than where we left things in 94.

Will it be taken up for broadcast?

Too early to say.
play the endgame and play only to win
LordF
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by LordF »

Thanks for the Good, no what am I saying, Excellant news TC.

It's great to see everything working.

Hugo Myatt back as Treguard, Amazing.

Mark Knight back as Lord Fear, as seen in the video clip and now known that It was him who did the voicing was Amazing as well.

Bring tears to my eyes.
LordF's DA Account
LordF's LiveJournal
Also known as Lord Fear
TheBrollachan
Knight
Knight

Post by TheBrollachan »

It'll be very interesting to watch. I don't suppose any of the quests were recorded, as it would be very knice to be able to view one in order to get a deeper insight of the new look. OK I'm just inpatient.

Hmmm Ellisandre sounds like 2 well known knightmare character names merged into one. So is she a rude maid? (Elita and Mellisandre)

I hope that it will be commissioned by a channel like BBC 2 so that it can be like the old knightmare ie. no ad breaks.
Twitter: https://twitter.com/SmokeHits
Keeper of the original modellers' cast of the Brollachan.
Malefact
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Malefact »

Well, well! Thanks very much for the information, bva. I'm really glad it went well. I think it would be better to have two advisors, too. This would encourage more communication between team-members and thus give the audience a better idea of what they were thinking.

It's marvellous to hear that Hugo Myatt attended! It must have been quite something to be in that position again after all these years, for both you and him.

My fingers are extremely crossed. I hope all the hard work pays off. If there is any Justice at all, it will. Many thanks again. :)
Subject to change.
Emii
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Emii »

Many thanks for the exciting update, BVA - certainly good knews and its nice to know that you like to keep us updated :) Thanks again...I can't wait to hear more!
"The alarm, Master! The opposition's tracked them! Oh good grief...look - Lord Fear's frozen Christopher!"
Kieran
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Kieran »

Two advisors sounds like a better bet, but I certainly like the sound of what occured at the demo, hence I am certainly behind the project 100%

Pity I don't own a TV station! :) Fingers crossed on that respect.
'He's NOT a Dungeoneer, he's a VERY naughty boy!'
Fidjit
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Fidjit »

Hehehehe, coolies TC! 8)
If the only way is onward how would you get home for tea?? :-/
Fidjit
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Fidjit »

Is there an age limit for Knightmare, when broadcasted? Or Timegate?
If the only way is onward how would you get home for tea?? :-/
KFan
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by KFan »

I think thats the trouble. Most of us here have spent the last few years trying to get the show back in production, and now the possibility is there, we're all too old to play it!

Never mind though... I can't wait to see more.
KFan
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by KFan »

Just seen the clip 'Arthur's Quest'... The lines by the dungoneer were WAY too "acted", and not natural enough. Think the dungoneer needs to talk naturally in own voice, or was that just how that particular dungoneer spoke?
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by HStorm »

It's only a demo clip, KM Fan, don't worry. If the game ever gets commissioned, the dungeoneer won't be scripted. Yeah, it grates listening to him but it doesn't matter. They're trying to show what the demonstrator can do, not the actors.
Knightmare Audio Plays from The Dunshelm Players.
Skarkill
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Skarkill »

LOVELY news TC

;D ;D ;D
It's The Irons For You. LOVELY
keke
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by keke »

i think there should be 3 advisors like the original.
if it does come back will lots of old characters return as well (majida, stilletta, motley etc)
Knightmare game completion:
Level 1: 100%
Level 2: 8%
Level 3: 1%
aoughton
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by aoughton »

I think that any and all characters returning from the original 8 series should be voiced by the original actors, or not come back at all.

I could be going mad, but I didn't think that was Cliff Barry in the lissard/fear videos, was it?